Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Painted Delorean
II know. Not a good start. But as you lot are in the know I was wondering how easy it is to take a painted Delorean back to just steel? I've seen a reasonably priced one but it's red (and seemingly been for sale forever) and I was wondering if it's cheap enough that I can bring it back to greatness or if I should give it a wide birth
I've done it, as have a few others. It depends - like most things. If the body is straight, it's a job, but doable. If the body panels are damaged, you may need replacements or the magic hands of Chris N. Without knowing one way or the other, it's a gamble.

I'd err on leaving it painted, personally. They are rare, and there's nothing wrong if it's been done correctly. Smile
Dan
Member 101
VIN# 4566
Former Vins# 5641 (Maddie) and 5284 (Hana)

(29 May 2017, 14:04)Dan Willis Wrote: I've done it, as have a few others. It depends - like most things. If the body is straight, it's a job, but doable. If the body panels are damaged, you may need replacements or the magic hands of Chris N. Without knowing one way or the other, it's a gamble.

I'd err on leaving it painted, personally. They are rare, and there's nothing wrong if it's been done correctly. Smile

When you say you've done it do you mean you personally? How did you do that or did you get a professional to do it? 

I'm only looking because of budget, it looks like it's considerably cheaper to buy a painted one than a "proper" one
(29 May 2017, 17:42)Unsavoury Wrote:
(29 May 2017, 14:04)Dan Willis Wrote: I've done it, as have a few others. It depends - like most things. If the body is straight, it's a job, but doable. If the body panels are damaged, you may need replacements or the magic hands of Chris N. Without knowing one way or the other, it's a gamble.

When you say you've done it do you mean you personally? How did you do that or did you get a professional to do it? 

I'm only looking because of budget, it looks like it's considerably cheaper to buy a painted one than a "proper" one

I did part of it, some of it was acid dipped, then the damage (one side had clearly been side-swiped) was then repaired by Chris. This was a long time ago so pricing is no longer relevant. If you have the time, chemicals, space and cover, you can do it yourself - but again, you really do need to know what's underneath first, or be prepared at least for some extensive repairs/replacements.

I used Nitromors on the panels - the paint peeled right off where it wasn't 2 inches deep in filling Wink
Dan
Member 101
VIN# 4566
Former Vins# 5641 (Maddie) and 5284 (Hana)

An alternative is soda blasting. This isn't me, but by all accounts is pretty straightforward

Dermot
ex-Dunmurryite
vin 2743
The dust must get everywhere! I'd use a better face mask as well!
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Dust or chemicals - pick your literal poison Smile
Dermot
ex-Dunmurryite
vin 2743
Don't rush to buy a painted one if you don't really want a painted one. It won't be right for you and you might struggle to sell it on or end up spending a lot of money to get it to a standard that you want.
1981 Restored Black Interior Auto
&
1981 DeLorean Time Machine 2015 edition

http://www.backtothefuturedeloreanhire.co.uk

http://www.deloreanhire.com