Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Letter from Universal
Evening all,

when it was first announced that Universal Studios were going to shut the "Back To The Future" ride I wrote a letter to their main office in Hollywood to express my feelings about such a move.

Obviously I didn't expect this to do any good but I wanted to get it all off my chest.

You can imagine then how amazed I was to come home today and find a letter from the USA stamped with the Universal logo.

Inside it explained how the decision to close the ride hadn't been taken lightly and how it was necessary in order to make improvements to the attractions etc, etc, etc, etc.

The main thing is that the letter was hand signed by some executive in Orlando so I'm left thinking that either I was one of very few to bother actually writing to them to express my displeasure, or they've gone to the considerable trouble of writing back to everyone that complained.

Phil, if you want a scan of the letter for inclusion in the club mag or anything like that just let me know and I'll Email it to you.
Regards,

Mike Sumner - 178
Grimsby
Yes please Mike, that'd be great Big Grin
1982 DeLorean VIN 12173 (a.k.a VIN 601)
1989 Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
me too, if you wouldnt mind.
Alexander Adams
Hull, East Yorkshire
DOC member - 389
Reg of first D experience - HEC 6T
No probs people.

The letter doesn't say anything we didn't already know.

It's basically full of the usual excuses that corporations pull out when they do something that ignores public opinion.

I'll send it to you when I get a minute later this evening.
Regards,

Mike Sumner - 178
Grimsby
well i had a friend round today and she couldn,t understand why they are getting rid of it. She said it was one of the most busy attractions there and easily one of the best rides, so i reckon it will be sold and end up some where else TT
DOC398
VIN#3484
Tourettes Tutor
I have the X factor
Tourettes Tony Wrote:well i had a friend round today and she couldn,t understand why they are getting rid of it. She said it was one of the most busy attractions there and easily one of the best rides, so i reckon it will be sold and end up some where else TT

I totally agree. Even quite recently it was still pulling the crowds. Admittedly not the 90-minute jobs it had in the early to mid 90s but still significant.

If anything needs replacing due to being past its best it's that damn "Jaws" ride. How long ago was that film made compared to "BTTF".
Regards,

Mike Sumner - 178
Grimsby
mikesumner Wrote:
Tourettes Tony Wrote:well i had a friend round today and she couldn,t understand why they are getting rid of it. She said it was one of the most busy attractions there and easily one of the best rides, so i reckon it will be sold and end up some where else TT

I totally agree. Even quite recently it was still pulling the crowds. Admittedly not the 90-minute jobs it had in the early to mid 90s but still significant.

If anything needs replacing due to being past its best it's that damn "Jaws" ride. How long ago was that film made compared to "BTTF".

hear hear :wink:
cheers tracey
vin 6484
rhd
(marty)
doc 421
Delorean Dream within a Dream
roll on eurotec 2009 love you all
[Image: covercarpics034.jpg]

[Image: mybanner48c1296704f7enw1.jpg]
.... whilst, from whats been written here, it would appear that Universal are scrapping a still popular attraction, I fall into the category of being someone that has never been fortunate enough to be able to afford to visit it Sad

I guess I wont miss what I've never had the opportunity to experience...
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Claire, just for you;

http://www.bxproject.co.uk/downloads/delorean.htm

right click the 'Back to the future ride' and 'save target as' its the original and very short advert for the ride which is played as part of a loop through the TV's while waiting for the ride!

I've been on it, and the ride it's self is pretty naff (but certainly not the worst there) the queing area is excellent though and the waiting video is quite good too! Somewhere i think i have a video of the whole ride but its nearly 10 years old (god its a long time since i've been on that) and on Hi-8. If i ever find it i'll digitise it, unless its already on YouTube which is likely!
Claire, go on Youtube, I remember someone somehow had the original video that they show on the ride and posted it online.

Not sure if it's still there. I will try to find you the link :wink:
Kind Regards,
John [DOC No. 8]

[Image: signature.jpg]
Especially for you Claire!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QVlJ7X0IXU

1. Now, open Flospy's boot, put your computer screen there.
2. Sit in the driver's seat
3. Get a few neighbours to shake Flospy like mad (with care of coz)
4. Enjoy the Back to the Future Ride!!

P.S. I am guessing that the BTTF Ride in Universal Studio Japan is still available though... still a chance Claire! :wink:
Kind Regards,
John [DOC No. 8]

lol, cheers guys - actually, I'm sure I've got lurking somewhere on one of my hard drives a 'video' of the bttf ride........

cheers,
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Vanny Wrote:Claire, just for you;

http://www.bxproject.co.uk/downloads/delorean.htm

right click the 'Back to the future ride' and 'save target as' its the original and very short advert for the ride which is played as part of a loop through the TV's while waiting for the ride!

I've been on it, and the ride it's self is pretty naff (but certainly not the worst there) the queing area is excellent though and the waiting video is quite good too! Somewhere i think i have a video of the whole ride but its nearly 10 years old (god its a long time since i've been on that) and on Hi-8. If i ever find it i'll digitise it, unless its already on YouTube which is likely!

Oups, Just realise I post a video that's more or less identical to yours :lol:
Kind Regards,
John [DOC No. 8]

Do you know I'm sure we could stick a REAL DeLorean (complete with BTTF accoutrements) on one of those motion simulator things with a big screen and recreate the flying DeLorean time machine experience even more effectively than Universal.

And as it runs you get all the blue strobe lighting inside and outside the car so its a visual spectacle for those on and off it, and lots of BIG sounds. Could be a great attraction at shows...

I could design it, visually. Its...kind of my speciality. I can see it now. In my mind.

MY IDEA. MINE. :wink: Mr Green

any takers?

I'm inspired now. I'm going to go off and do a few sketches :lol: