Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2017 Event - the DOC does Blackpool!
any chance of a hotel being confirmed?

I want to get something published on the DOC's Facebook page and Chris Williams is keen to get a newsletter
out with details of the event.
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Just out of interest, who is officially organising this? Unfortunately I can't, as I have other commitments. I'm happy to help in any way I can though
Mike
Bingley, West Yorkshire
VIN 2493

"Hey you, get your dam hands off her"
ah, well we were under the impression you were organising Mike as part of the TV/Film car event. I think Mary said she'd assist
you with hotels in the area.

I cant really get involved in organising an event this year, I've got too much on my plate here with a dead DeLorean and building work.

Would one of the Northwest area guys like to step in and help out?
Sad 
Yikes. I thought Mike was dealing with the logistics too Confused

Do we have any more details of what exactly is happening on the weekend, i.e. where the other Knight Rider etc cars are to be, on which days etc?

Are we "booked in" to be present at the event with lets say room to display 10-15 DeLoreans?

Despite being a tourist trap, many of the local hotels are in the B&B category. I've had a quick check into some of the larger ones that I know of, and all are already showing no availability (it is a bank holiday weekend).

There are few hotels in the mid-size range suitable for our needs; sufficient size to accommodate say a mix of at least 10-15 rooms, appropriate car parking facilities, close enough to the sea front for where I assume the event will take place and critically within a budget range the club has used before.

(even the DeVere that we used at work has limited availability, plus it costs more than equivalent stay at the Europa which might put people off).

Maybe need to rethink this years event Sad

JohnC
I think the general plan is to be in the Lytham area on the Saturday, with a seafront cruise in Blackpool on Saturday night, then
displaying with the TV/Film cars on the Sunday in Blackpool.

I've stayed at the Travelodge just outside Morecambe before now, that is good value and you can book a room to include meals in the
adjoining restaurant. Not sure how far Morecambe is from Blackpool though, but its convenient for the M6 Motorway.

Dates wise, I thought this on the weekend before the Bank Holiday?
The Bank Holiday weekend in August is the 26-28th (Sat-Mon). Mike has discussed the 19th-20th so far.

On a personal note, i'm still not even sure i'm going to make it to this one or in what capacity. I'm house hunting etc right now, and everything depends on progress and timescales with this. If my car is still living in Edinburgh at the time of the event, then i may come, but will be car-less (by this i mean DeLorean-less). If it's down living with me, then I'll be in more of a position to come along, WITH the car too. If i'm too busy moving house at the time of the event, then i'll not be able to come at all. My whole life is up in the air right now, and has been for some time now.
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
Hi, sorry for any confusion. I am happy to help organise, but I'm unaware of suitable hotels as I don't live in the area. As for the dates, I am happy to organise a car show on any day the club fancies as I have allot of tv car connections and contacts at Blackpool. What would be the general opinion on the date? Would you rather the event be on a different day? If some one could look at the hotels for me I am happy to organise the rest.

(18 Mar 2017, 14:58)John would it be be possile for you to source a suitable hotel and fly some dates around? I will organise the tv car show around the club. There\s has been a few changes with the Blackpool council so the original date mentioned may now longer happen meaning that I can simply organise the show around the club. I am hoping by doing this it will make it easier to find a suitable, secure location. JohnC Wrote: Yikes. I thought Mike was dealing with the logistics too Confused

Do we have any more details of what exactly is happening on the weekend, i.e. where the other Knight Rider etc cars are to be, on which days etc?

Are we "booked in" to be present at the event with lets say room to display 10-15 DeLoreans?

Despite being a tourist trap, many of the local hotels are in the B&B category. I've had a quick check into some of the larger ones that I know of, and all are already showing no availability (it is a bank holiday weekend).

There are few hotels in the mid-size range suitable for our needs; sufficient size to accommodate say a mix of at least 10-15 rooms, appropriate car parking facilities, close enough to the sea front for where I assume the event will take place and critically within a budget range the club has used before.

(even the DeVere that we used at work has limited availability, plus it costs more than equivalent stay at the Europa which might put people off).

Maybe need to rethink this years event Sad

JohnC
Mike
Bingley, West Yorkshire
VIN 2493

Ok... so, that's partly my confusion. I'd assumed the meet-up/display of the other cars was already a fixed event and happening on the bank holiday.

"..Blackpool is a tourist destination and that's our busiest time of the year...." comments to one side, I visited one of the Premier Inns yesterday on the way to a meeting.

The one on Yeadon Way, FY1 6BF, is most central, and does currently have ~40 rooms left on 18th/19th (out of ~100).

Downsides:

1. While the car park is enclosed in wire mesh style fencing on two sides to separate from the larger public car park beyond, there's no barrier. The entrance is behind a petrol station and the hotel is on the default route to all of the tourist central car parks, so the cars would be more visible than at previous years.

2. The attached pub is willing to try and accommodate us, however the seating area is around central columns so it's tables of 4/6 only with no option to make them bigger. (food would need to be pre-ordered ahead of time on a table by table basis).

3. As with all Premier Inn's there's little room for pre-meal/post-meal gatherings.

In my mind I'd assumed a short hop to the front was what would be best, but looking further out for hotels would open other options.

PS No idea what to suggest for the "other day" activity
Just to confirm the event I initially spoke about had to be postponed unfortunately. I'm also conscious that we are running out of time. Due to August being peak season, would it make sense to change the date to mid sept? If preferred, we could change destination. Please can we have some feedback thoughts asap so we can sort this, thanks ?
Mike
Bingley, West Yorkshire
VIN 2493

Mike, when is the 'Knightcon' event on (or whatever its name changed to) ? I think that used to be around September in Yorkshire.

Maybe we could do something around that? Its 99% certain that my car wont be there, but Phill's car should be ok - I can just come along with the kids
in the Avantime.
Knightcon is now called ultracon and is on in Harrogate on the 1st oct this year. This would be a fair drive from Blackpool though so it depends on whether we are thinking of moving locations?
Mike
Bingley, West Yorkshire
VIN 2493

(24 Mar 2017, 11:18)JohnC Wrote: Ok... so, that's partly my confusion. I'd assumed the meet-up/display of the other cars was already a fixed event and happening on the bank holiday.

"..Blackpool is a tourist destination and that's our busiest time of the year...." comments to one side, I visited one of the Premier Inns yesterday on the way to a meeting.

The one on Yeadon Way, FY1 6BF, is most central, and does currently have ~40 rooms left on 18th/19th (out of ~100).

Downsides:

1. While the car park is enclosed in wire mesh style fencing on two sides to separate from the larger public car park beyond, there's no barrier. The entrance is behind a petrol station and the hotel is on the default route to all of the tourist central car parks, so the cars would be more visible than at previous years.

2. The attached pub is willing to try and accommodate us, however the seating area is around central columns so it's tables of 4/6 only with no option to make them bigger. (food would need to be pre-ordered ahead of time on a table by table basis).

3. As with all Premier Inn's there's little room for pre-meal/post-meal gatherings.

In my mind I'd assumed a short hop to the front was what would be best, but looking further out for hotels would open other options.

PS No idea what to suggest for the "other day" activity
See my earlier post on Blackpool Premier Inns. I did not elaborate on what we were told at that time.
However we were working at the Hospital and the local guys said to avoid the Premier Inns in Blackpool. Basicly there are security issues due to undesirables. If we wanted the van empty or missing in the morning by all means stay there.... Angry 

Nick H
DOC 650
Jaguar X-Type
Range Rover Sport SDV6 "Rufus" (Mrs H's motor)
DeLorean DMC 12 Vin#2862

My other hobby...
http://www.lccuk.org.uk/
It seems like Blackpool might not actually be the place to go then due to security concerns. Does any one else have any thoughts on where they would like to go.?
Mike
Bingley, West Yorkshire
VIN 2493

I have a friend who was in Blackpool for the first time over the holiday weekend just past. During a phone call he advised me not to bring my car to Blackpool, because, and to put it into his words, "I'd hate to see your car get damaged or worse as a result of bringing it here! The place is full of louts and parties and fighting day and night. I can only imagine what these people would think or do if they saw one or a bunch of DeLorean's parked up!!"

That's enough to put me right off I'll admit.

I have a friend who was in Blackpool for the first time over the holiday weekend just past.  During a phone call he advised me not to bring my car to Blackpool, because, and to put it into his words, "I'd hate to see your car get damaged or worse as a result of bringing it here!  The place is full of louts and parties and fighting day and night.  I can only imagine what these people would think or do if they saw one or a bunch of DeLorean's parked up!!"

That's enough to put me right off I'll admit.
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
if we wanted to nip up for a daytime meet, I'm sure that would be OK. But night time security looks a bit iffy.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian