Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alternator - Modern Cross Reference
So i've been doing some further research, including getting in touch with Renault themselves.  The correct Alternator can be sourced from Renault (shipped over from France) but they want over £400 for it!

So I've done some further searching, and found some suitable cross reference numbers.  I've confirmed the original Renault part number is: 77 00 780 774.

This cross references against a ton of other manufacturer's units, but the cheapest i've found is the CEVAM unit, which can currently be picked up via Ebay, shipped from France at the following link.  The CEVAM part number (included for when the link goes down) is "4302".

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191696513399?_...EBIDX%3AIT

Obviously, the pulley on it will not be correct (unless you believe the fact the advert advertises is as coming with a "V belt" pulley, even though it contradicts itself again by specifying 5 ribs), so this will need to be changed.  I don't have the shaft diameter, or the method of keying required for a pulley to fit the unit, but as far as the pulley is concerned, it needs to be a 10mm wide pulley to accommodate the 9.5mm width of the belt (cross reference belt - Gates 7495 used as an example) and a 36 degree wall angle in the "V".  I don't know what is typical for a pulley diameter either i'm afraid.  But does it matter?  I'm not sure.

Perhaps a pulley kit for an old Lucas alternator like the below link, will fit?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LUCAS-FAN-AND-...Swp5JWXtfV

Ultimately, it requires someone to have faith and to buy one and let us all know how they get on with fitting it.  I'd do it myself, but i'm a bit hard up right now, and don't actually need a new alternator right now.  If anyone "goes for it", then please....give some feedback and let us know.  I've done the hard bit narrowing it down this far.  Wink
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
You could just get your old alternator reconditioned this would be a very cost affective repair usually  less than half price of buying a new 1
Classic Car Rescue Vin 1552 
Restoration project Vin 537
(07 Sep 2016, 22:20)Chris J Wrote: You could just get your old alternator reconditioned this would be a very cost affective repair usually  less than half price of buying a new 1

Not always possible to have an alternator refurbished.  Diodes knackered etc - would mean tearing it apart and rewinding it etc.  Not cost effective a lot of the time.
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black

Main Car(s):
They do have them in stock on the Eurotec site DeLorean Alternator

£175, Seems a pretty good price to me and from my experience it will be with you next day.

I'm not sure if there is still any inter-club ill feeling (personally not interested in that) but whatever individuals feelings may be, you can't deny the Eurotec site is a great source of well priced parts for what is a relatively small community.

J
www.classicdelorean.com
Colchester - Essex - UK
(08 Sep 2016, 17:56)JamesRGUK Wrote: They do have them in stock on the Eurotec site DeLorean Alternator

£175, Seems a pretty good price to me and from my experience it will be with you next day.

I'm not sure if there is still any inter-club ill feeling (personally not interested in that) but whatever individuals feelings may be, you can't deny the Eurotec site is a great source of well priced parts for what is a relatively small community.

J

The Eurotec club do an outstanding job, and nobody can fault them on the grade A service they are providing to the community.

But some people have an interest in keeping the knowledge base for parts as open as possible so that people can have as many sources possible from which to choose when needing a part.  There's no harm in it, and everyone is free to choose who they buy parts from and who they choose not to buy parts from.

Keeping a healthy and open selection of choice available is in the community's best interests.  This helps to keep prices fair and reasonable.  Monopolies are unhealthy and can drive prices up.

Some people aren't bothered, or have money no matter what, so for people who are pressed for time, or not bothered about researching or doing any homework and just want the part no matter what the price is, then there are multiple sources available for people to choose from so that they know they'll get their part quickly and it'll be the right thing.  Others however, relish the thrill of the "hunt" and receive great personal reward and satisfaction in sourcing themselves, sometimes as a guess, and it turn out to be correct AND have paid potentially less for it too.  It's all healthy and should never be discouraged. Smile
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black

Main Car(s):
Quote:I'm not sure if there is still any inter-club ill feeling (personally not interested in that) but whatever individuals feelings may be, you can't deny the Eurotec site is a great source of well priced parts for what is a relatively small community.
I don't think there is no, I understand cross postings are made on both forums for both sites. And yes your right, though 2.99 for a 75p IKEA pot is a bit steep Big Grin Having said that the new injectors are a bargain.
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
I     What about this? 120 amp output.
I also noted that the alternator for. 2.0 Ford Pinto OHC could be made to fit,but only gives out 55amps,but I remember you could get them uprated (for rally cars etc) years back

q
#10556 'Ol Stainless' running surprisingly well,Audi A5 2.0T Quattro smug as usual,Wenault Slaguna stationary for the mo',the R.V.Enterprise clocking the U.K.miles up,new fleet addition-Jessica the Daewoo Matiz,silly but 55mpg....!
Quote:...This cross references against a ton of other manufacturer's units, but the cheapest i've found is the CEVAM unit, which can currently be picked up via Ebay, shipped from France at the following link. The CEVAM part number (included for when the link goes down) is "4302"....

Damn that's a shame they've just all sold out.
Still, the eurotec stock has just increased by six and the price has come down a bit too, so that's OK then.
Richard H. DOC 365 VIN 1274
http://www.deloreans.co.uk
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.
YXFFN ZIQZH TKIQH LVTFT TRZGL ZQKZX LOFUE GRTVIT FHXZZ OFUXH FTVSN YGXFR EKGLL KTYTK TFETL YKGDF GVGF
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black

Main Car(s):
look for alternator for Renault Espace V6 3.0 or Safrane V6 3.0 or Laguna 3.0 V6 or any other PRV engine...
take off pulley from your old alternator and fit to new one.
Only additional modification is extending the stock bracket that is used to tension the belt.
usually what kills alternator on Delorean is water and salt, for which it is exposed... but on those front engine-mounted Renault it is quite nicely protected, so even second hand part should be OK.