Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best jacking point
Hi 

Can any one help? 

I was just wondering where the best jacking points are on the car? (Front and back). Is there a specific point?  Smile
Mike
Bingley, West Yorkshire
VIN 2493

"Hey you, get your dam hands off her"
I use a block of wood on top of a jack (to spread the weight) and go under the front frame below the steering rack. and the same at the rear under the engine cradle. However I do try to use a stout bit of wood that goes full width of the frame.
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
(22 Feb 2016, 22:52)Chris Williams Wrote: I use a block of wood on top of a jack (to spread the weight) and go under the front frame below the steering rack. and the same at the rear under the engine cradle. However I do try to use a stout bit of wood that goes full width of the frame.
Chris

Thanks for your reply chris. 

I always worry about things like this.  Blush  It just didn't seem right doing it on the chassis  Smile
Mike
Bingley, West Yorkshire
VIN 2493

I've always just used the jacking points (at least initially, but if keeping jacked up for a long period of time, then use the frame to extend the lift higher again when wanting to increase height on axle stands)

So what's wrong with using the jacking points on the tub?
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
Quote:So what's wrong with using the jacking points on the tub?
Didn't think anyone said there was? I tend not to as I lift the car up front or rear at a time so either front is raised completely or the rear as I tend to be faffing with both sides if I'm doing something. I do seem to remember people saying that it puts to much stress on the tub but that may be other peoples opinion's. If I had access to a two poster lift then I'm sure I would use them myself.
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
I've only used the jacking points on the tub if using a 2 post lift. I've always jacked up under the frame just like Chris W described, as I've heard of windscreens and dashes cracking if jacking up one side.
If these parts are 33+ years old and are fragile due to heat exposure I wouldn't risk it as there may be an amount of twist / flex in the body tub (especially with the doors open) that the rest of the car won't like.  You might be ok, but out of precaution.....
DOC 116
VIN 6237
Thanks every one
Mike
Bingley, West Yorkshire
VIN 2493