Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New owner
Quote:Chris, the black one that Al Vanstone has, used to be yellow many years ago, if that's the one you are thinking about. I think there are 4 or 5 red ones floating around too.
Ahh that may be it then. I had been giving this a lot of thought a month or two ago whilst compiling the UK VIN list and was sure that there was a yellow one but had no record of it. This may answer that though.
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Nice - and red too; I like red.

The yellow car - the one I remember at least, left the UK some time ago. I can't remember where it went... (it's mentioned on one forum or another).

Enjoy the car - and you have a 993? I've had a couple; wish I still did as they're worth a ton now!
Dan
Member 101
VIN# 4566
Former Vins# 5641 (Maddie) and 5284 (Hana)

Ive been unsuccessfully looking for pictures! Yes it was years ago. The yellow one was on the front cover of Auto Trader…although it could have been the Exchange and Mart. At the same time there was a white one, which was pretty rough, it went to the continent I believe.

I look on my other computer…..
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
The last time I saw it was at the Gaydon Supercar Sunday show back.. 200x (2 or 3 perhaps).

I've tried Flickr'ing it but all I get is bloody SOR83T over and over (2006, 2008) and a ropey one from 2010 (looks like the RHD one Chris P had!)
Dan
Member 101
VIN# 4566

Hi all
this is a great forum.
I will drain the fuel and clean the tank. The fuel pump is fairly new, there is an invoice from 2014 for a new fuel pump/sender unit for Huston. I will flush the pipes through to the rear fuel filter and then to the metering head and have a go. The fuel filter should have protected the metering head... fingers crossed. if that doesn't fix it i can see that there are service/seal kits available for reasonable cost for the K jet metering head... is that a silly idea??
I think that it would make sense to look at the distributor cap at some point? the plugs and leads look quite fresh but the cap is buried and i assume that it tends to get neglected?

Good point with the steering wheel adjuster. i will look at that, it sounds likely as it is quite loose and shouldn't have that much wear after just 27,000 miles, or is my high mileage German engineering experience clouding my judgement.

i have added some images of the underside of the car. It looks really good to me for a 34 year old car, is this typical or exceptional?
I am New to Delorean, but have a keen interest in cars, Porsche air cooled in particular.
Dan
yes i am lucky to have a 993, they are super, i have had a few Porkers over the years, 993, 930, 911 3.2 carrera, 911 3.0sc , 964 c4, 965 3.6 T and a couple of 944. This one is a little retro, with Fuch and a duckie
I am New to Delorean, but have a keen interest in cars, Porsche air cooled in particular.
Quote:i can see that there are service/seal kits available for reasonable cost for the K jet metering head... is that a silly idea??
Yes it is, please dont pull it apart :wink: A; you wont get it to re-seal again and B; probably nothing wrong with it if there is then try Ken Mills Injection but get fresh fuel and cleaner going through and it will be fine. Surprised the tanks full of crud if it had a new sender fitted in 2014, though it's often said the fuel in the US is poor due to all the Ethanol(Ithink).
Get the tank clean, filter changed and I'm sure it will be fine.
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
It looks very nice and clean. Although the sump over-spray is alittle nasty. :?
When all sorted, Like to hear your thoughts if you have experience of a relative aged Porsche.
Yes, I wouldn't use a modern 993 as any sort of a benchmark to a 1980s essentially handmade car, just off the blueprints without years of refinements Wink

Underside looks good, from the photos, I would replace those rusty old bolts though as they really catch your eye.
Dermot
ex-Dunmurryite
vin 2743
Agreed on those points. Deal with the fueling first. There probably isn't a common underside but that is very clean and tidy. A lovely example.

Love the 911. Keep her!
Dan
Member 101
VIN# 4566

I might have a photo of a yellow DeLorean from SCS, probably around 2001-02 time.

It'll be on a normal photo though I think, as its probably from before I owned a digital
camera, so I'll need to find it and scan it.

I seem to recall someone saying it had been scrapped though, as it was pretty rough, but
I'm going back several years so could be wrong.
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
In answer to the comparison between Porsche and DMC, i would say that first impressions are very different. The 993 in the photo is a 1995 car, so quite a lot younger, but i have owned 1980s 911s and they are really solid. they feel like they are carved from stone. I have driven a 1983 3.0 sc to Denmark and it could sit at 150+ mph all day without a worry. The last 993 that i had did some track work and would drive home after a hard day of say 80 laps feeling as good as when it left.
I may be wrong, but i doubt that the DMC will be as robust, but it has bags of character and everyone seems to love it. I guess that a 911 is about performance and reliability and the DMC is more of a unique cruiser. out of interest the 3.0 in the SC made a lazy 204bhp and the 3.6 in the 993 makes 275bhp, and weighs in at 1340kg, so i am expecting the DMC to feel slower, but give fun in other ways, however the flux capacitor jokes are starting to wear a little thin.
I have put the 993 on the market and am toying with a 997 turbo. They are great value for money right now and don't suffer the engine problems that the other watercooled 911s do. 470hp and 190mph must be handy for popping to Tescos?
The 993 was the most characterful car I've ever owned. I miss it years later and would love another.
If you're heading the 997 way, the Turbo has to be the right car if just for that engine... I went GM V8 with the Monaro. Simple, quick and that soundtrack.

Still bought another DeLorean though. They get under your skin Wink
Dan
Member 101
VIN# 4566

So it is time for an update. After family stuff and some time away sailing i have finally made a little progress with the DMC.

I have cleaned the fuel tank, pump, fuel lines and replaced the fuel filter. I started the car and there was no change..... for a while, but after a few mins of running the engine started to run properly, It now runs well when warm, but a little rough when started from cold. I think that it could do with a run, if that doesn't work i will look at the warm up regulator.
I have fitted my new Hella RHD headlamps, including cutting clearance holes for the side light bulb holders.
Reverse was a pain to select, but some lubrication on the gear lever to allow it to be lifted has transformed it.
I have reset the lambda counter, so the light is off now.
I have mounted a fog light in the rear cluster and next time i can work on the car will finish wiring it to the illuminated switch that i have fitted next to the electric window switches.

so next stop MOT. and then register... fingers crossed that it goes smoothly. from what i read i do not need the cert of conformity due to the age of the DMC. i seem to have all the other required paperwork. i hope that i get a good registration number.

I am off to the states next week and will pick up my new seat covers and a few odds and ends so that i can start on the cosmetics. The interior needs some work. I would like contact details for Lee Patterson for the binnacle recover. The carpets have cleaned up okay, but i need to recolour some of the leather dash parts that have discoloured in the sun. does anyone have any recommendation for that?

I have one final odd problem. when i got the car it was not locked. I locked the drivers door to see if the key would work and then could not unlock it. I was luck in that the passenger door was open and i managed to remove the upper door card and wiggle things until the door unlocked. What was strange was that the rods all looked to be correctly adjusted and i couldn't unlock the door, even with the rods disconnected. repeated tries eventually unlocked it, but i don't think that it was an adjustment issue could the latch be sticking in the locked position? open to ideas?

Thanks for all your help, the write ups on this site are a real help.

Sorry to ramble.
RichH on here is a bit of an expert on the door mechanisms, might be worth speaking
to him either by PM or starting a topic in the 'Help' section.
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie