Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Style Ottersat Replacement Part Available To Order
been having problems with fans not cutting in when engine runs over normal,when two wires are joined together from otterstat fans will run meaning otterstat failure, new otterstat fitted after tested in boiling water, , fitted to car run to temp ,fans will not run ,replaced with another otterstat, run to over temp ,still no fans,after several attempts of trying different possibilities still no result, so Dickie H was contacted and came over about 5 30 last night to help me resolve the problem after hours of testing electrical and water flow he finally figured out the problem,the spring clip which holds the otterstat in place was putting to much pressure on it ,stopping it making a circuit. So just wanted to say a very big THANK YOU RICHARD for sorting out the problem for me hope you got home safe after leaving at 12 45 am hope you were,nt late for work this morning
the plastering man
DEL31L
Doc No.505
Vin No.11075
Glad you got it sorted these really are a load of crap, I have gone through 4 in 3 years now. There must be a better solution out there for these!
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Odd. Mine was bad when I first bought my car and I replaced it then (6+ years ago). Been fine ever since. Same goes for my angle drive, I have yet to lubricate it.
hi chris, i got through 4 in 2 weeks you are right the plastic is to soft the one i have got on now is off i mini same temp 98 88 took for test drive all ok . the mini has a plastic clip to hold in place instead of sprung steel one.
the plastering man
DEL31L
Doc No.505
Vin No.11075
Mine has two cable ties…..it leaked with just one :oops: ……another bit of Dave H advice!
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Malc, Rich came round the other night and told us about helping you out, glad he
was able to resolve your problem for you.
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
We have had similar woes recently - ancient otterstat replaced with a brand new one, up to temp, fans didn't cut in. Shorted wiring, all fine. Another new stat bought, tested and fitted, haven't been up to temp yet but I've fitted a bypass switch just in case. The metal spring clip did seem to be exerting rather a lot of pressure on the bottom of the otterstat, but then I'd assumed that was necessary to keep a good seal on the rubber. The first 'new' one as removed seemed knackered. Is it too much pressure from the spring clip, or poor quality new components?
Med Venlig Hilsen
A bit of both I think...
Richard H. DOC 365 VIN 1274
http://www.deloreans.co.uk
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.
Just taken delivery of my adjustable set up….complete with a capillary tube. Smile Thanks to advice from Brian Brown….I will be fitting it tomorrow. I will let you know how I get on.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
After having 3 otterstat fail in quick succession and with the Lotus event immanent, I was forced to take some radical action!

I am pleased to report that my new set up is working fine. Fully adjustable temp and no leaks. I attach some photo's.

The layout in the engine bay RHD cars is slight different . Don't let that confuse you, the otterstat is in the usual place. The kit cost about £30 on ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400742005146? ... EBIDX%3AIT and only took 24 hours to fit, because I chose to glue the little 'rubber wedge piece' in position….which allows the capillary to pass into the bottom hose. You can just see it in the last photo.

The first picture gives you an overview of the complete setup.

I will be posting some pictures of a new screw in type otter-stat kindly made by a skilled club member!
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Right then, here is the upgraded pipe with screwed otterstat housing. The are also pictures of my previous failures!

As you can see the switching temperature range is ( deliberately) slightly lower at 88 / 79 degrees.

If anyone wants one they are £35 each, but if we can get 10 firm orders the price will drop to £25.00 ( plus a bit of postage)

The fact remains that the easiest ways to wreck one of these engines is to let it over-heat a couple of times. I personally will be staying with my adjustable one, because its now fitted and working, but if you want to keep the (almost) stock look, this could be the way to go.

Contacts through me initially please.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Does the thermostat protrude further into the pipe than OE or similar? How freely available are the new style thermostats?
Chris
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
The thermostats are readily available . They don't protrude at all…approx 4-5 mm sat back.

They are quite a bit wider that the originals, so good contact area with water.

If Richard H or someone would like to 'road test' one that will be fine. I'm fitting the other one in Pilot 20.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
If you can put me down for one please?
Chris
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
i'll post you one of these out on Monday Chris. You can test it.

Speaking of testing, i'm still very happy with my plastic header tank from Ed. ( supplied via Euro-tec as I needed it next day for Lotus )

It's important to note that this is version 4 of the header tank………Versions 1, 2 and 3 all failed in various ways. This one seems fine up to now, as do the other 3 which are on test.

They are also cheaper than the stainless replacement at about £65. My main reason for wanting one was the 'stock look'…which is great. If I have any problems with it, i'll let you all know.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian