Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Emmissions high and stalling at lights
Hi guys

Had my D MOT'd last week and she passed on everything but when it came to the emissions test it was above 4.1 and should have failed. My friendly MOT guy pulled it out at the last minute (ohh err) and let it pass but in reality it shouldn't. Last year she was fine.
I have not made any modifications in that area but I am still running with it's original CAT.

On a possibly related note, when I slow down quickly for roundabouts/lights etc she often struggles to maintain revs and stalls.
I assume I have some timing and mixture problem but am wary of messing with it myself in case I make things worse!
Vin: 4468
DOC No: 758
www.theportlandarms.co.uk
If you have changed absolutely nothing then I doubt your mixture is off, however if you hooked up a dwell I bet it is because I suspect a vacuum leak. I would take a good look at your vacuum piping and intake. It may be easy to spot as a small leak would not cause a stalling scenario.

Another possibility is a fuel problem. I would not suspect a leak since you did not mention ans gas small, but maybe one of the o rings in the fuel distributer needs replacing(easy to check).
BTW when is the last time you checked the pump pick up for sludge? What about the last fuel filter replacement?
Other areas to look at are the idle circuit, possibly a set screw has worked loose.
As was mentioned above, as you have had out all the interior for new radio and running wires around it would pay to check that all the vacume pipes are re-connected (in the correct order) behind the dash/ carbon canister area where you have run cables Etc
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Hi guys.
Had the stalling problem before I poked around doing the stereo install so don't think it was me. I checked again around the vent area where I noticed some hoses routed around and couldn't see any leaks. Mind you my air con does not work so I cant be completely sure!
Dave Howarth is adamant that some running problems can be caused by not having the correct spark plugs fitted. After talking with him I checked mine on Delores ……obviously while it was away from me for 9 years, it had been serviced regularly, even though it had only covered 700 miles!

It had been running a bit rough ….guess what I found? Incorrect plugs, but more importantly, the gap was only about 12 thou, rather than the normal 25 thou. It now has a set of Bosch HR 6 DS……..According to Dave, its the 'DS' bit thats important. I don't know…….but what I do know is that my car has never run better since I bought it in 1999!
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
It's something I will take a look at Chris.
The previous owner had stated on his work list that he had new plugs fitted, probably around 18 months ago.
I'll check the brand and spacing.

S
how did you get on?
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie