Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pilot 20
So apart from looking badly fitting what is it about these doors on P21 that wont pass the US title?
hi

as i see it, surely registration is possible, as kit cars can be built from scratch and registered.

Would need an SVA.

Other oprtions are to get it registered in another (more lenient country) and ship over, or should i say it, drive it on another d's plates.

not saying i have done it on my imported roadsters! wink!

as long as same colour etc

i didn't say that
Steve Saunders
Wolverhampton
ex owner vin 1621
doc 370
didn't say what?
-------------------------
- Dave Smith

VIN: #00944 DOC: #535
VIN: #03193
That's right Steve - it would technically be possible to obtain a title for pilot 21 - and I'm pretty sure the doors aren't a major factor in it not having one.

Originally I was discussing buying both pilot 20 and 21 from Sascha - but the effort involved in getting 21 titled would have been quite cumbersome for us - whereas 20 is moreorless ready to go - and isn't that dissimilar to 21. Plus it's 1 earlier - which is a bonus!

The title document is really just needed to prove ownership at the port (to stop people from stealing cars and exporting them). You could 'revin' a car to get it shipped - but it really really wouldn't be worth it - better to take the time and apply for a title properly.

In any case - 21 has found a new home in the US - and will be looked after. The new owner is someone we know pretty well - and has a lot of years behind him restoring DeLoreans.

Darren
PJ Grady (Europe)
www.pjgrady.co.uk
hi

i also was involved with discussions with sascha but was beaten to it (+probably more cash!) chap in ohio?.

what i was saying Barson that i have imported many cars from Japan, mainly roadsters, skylines, pajero and you can legally drive to a booked in MOT (even if 200+ miles) without number plates.

Have been stopped a few times but all completely legal.

then drive home from the mot (even if a fail). and to and from a booked mot again.
All without plates.
problem comes if you want paintwork done while waiting for reg documents and need to move the car without trade plates. (have trade insurance).

then as long as you drive a car which looks the same then it is unlikely to be picked up.
All theoretical of course and not saying i have done this.

Even worse now because you can't tax a vehicle untill you have a reg document.

anyway in theory any vehicle could be put on the road...just boils down to how much it will cost.

anything later than 97 from Japan has to have a model report which for modified skylines is near impossible. (sometimes only way to temp remove engine, exhaust etc) to get that reg document.

sorry bit off topic.
Steve Saunders
Wolverhampton
ex owner vin 1621
doc 370
Dont think Sascha told you Darren but my passenger door is off pilot 20!!

It has a big "20" written on the door at the front lock... Big Grin

I will take a picture and send it to you.
Alistair McCann
Northern Ireland
1981 Delorean #Vin Pilot 25
1989 Renault Alpine GTA Atmo.
Quote:There are a few on PJGradys site

http://www.pjgrady.co.uk//GenericConten ... _Cars.html

Nice link! On the subject of pilot cars, here's one at Lotus (note the sliding window and other slight differences):

[Image: delosmallft4.jpg]

There was a "6" written on the back of the photo, whether that refers to the car number or the number of the photo, I don't know.
Nice pic. I cant wait to have days off to get mine a clean as possible.