Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Project Cars @ BHCC
I paid about £1300 for my re-trim, the lion’s share of that being the seats at around £800. I did have to put a lot of effort in, including stripping it all out, cleaning up and repairing all the broken trim parts. I had all the seat mechanisms and metalwork powder coated and I steam cleaned all the carpets and re-trimmed the headliners myself.

It depends too on the standard you are aspiring to. Do you want a concourse DeLorean where every part, panel, fitting and piece of trim is shiny, beautifully fitted and freshly painted? Then you’re in for a lot of work and a lot of expense. Or do you want a car that is solid, *reliable* with a bit of patina and most importantly, in my view, practical?

I have never ascribed to the idea that a DeLorean will cost you XX thousand pounds no matter how you buy one; this really is not the case. Cost to restore a DeLorean is entirely down to the amount of effort you are willing/able to put in yourself. If you hurl expensive off-the-shelf “DeLorean” parts at faults which can be repaired by simple dismantling, cleaning and refurbishment or on hours of expensive workshop time then you will very rapidly rack up the costs.
Richard H. DOC 365 VIN 1274
http://www.deloreans.co.uk
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.
Update on the 19k BHCC car I was looking into.

I heard back from the sales rep who answered some of my questions, here’s what he said:

We are selling this vehicle as a non-runner due to a seized engine. This will require a full engine rebuild or engine replacement. There are no major service or ownership documents with the exception of the title which suggest this car had the same owner since the year 1984. I have attached a copy of the title for you to review.

There is some rust however no major corrosion.

The shocks on both doors are inoperable along with the windows.

The wires are no new however the are included with this sale.

————————————————

Also, VIN is 2665

Doesn’t look good to me [emoji25]

Any idea how much this is going to cost to fix? (Beside all the usual stuff you guys have mentioned before)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IMO its not worth 19k with a seized engine. If you cant rebuild the engine yourself i would steer clear of it as paying someone else to do it will be costly. It depends on what level of restoration you would be happy with and how much cash youre willing to throw at a car.

Shocks, which i assume they mean the gas struts, are an easy fix. A set of 6 will set you back about £130 iirc. I had to change all of mine.

What do they mean by "the wires are no new"?
- DeLoryan
VIN 5219
Oct 81, Grey interior, 
manual, grooved hood
DOC 876
No idea what he meant with that? [emoji848]

But yes, I don’t know anything about mechanics so I could probably learn and try to do some of the small things, but doing the engine myself is out of the question.

How costly are we talking? (Might use it to get the price down) and is it doable in the UK?

Im not a mechanic of any sorts but im willing to learn and get dirty and do as much as i can. An engine rebuild is too daunting for me. Things like a general service, changing filters/accumulator/fuel pump are pretty easy really (the fuel pump needs attention on that car probably replacing. The hoses definitely do). Its pretty much just nuts and bolts. The parts and workshop manuals are a godsend really. Google the pdf versions and familiarize yourself as it will help greatly.

As for price i dont really know. Ive never enquired about an engine rebuild. I would estimate around £5k but i just dont know. Could be more, could be less. Its the man hours thats most costly. Whilst my car is a non runner, the engine hasnt ceased. I seem to have an electrical fault somewhere, possibly the relays and/or dirty contacts. 

Personally, i would keep saving for a better one to come along which it will. Bhcc get them all the time.

You need to ask yourself, if i go for a project, will i do as much of the work as possible or will i pay someone else to do the work needed? You can save alot of money by doing things yourself. However, if youre going to pay someone else, you may as well get yourself a decent car to start with or at least one that runs. I myself would pass on this car completely if i were still looking
- DeLoryan
VIN 5219
Oct 81, Grey interior, 
manual, grooved hood
DOC 876
Engines are doable, cheapest option (if you can get one) is to get an old Volvo 260/760 with the correct engine in it and swap it over. There are bits that would need to be changed such as the sump and a few other parts..... but it's the cheapest way. Finding the correct car is an issue. That said you may be lucky and get the engine freed up!
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Thanks again guys, but honestly between the black interior and the engine issue I think I’ll pass on this one Smile

Even if I can get the price down it’d be too much work that I have no idea how to do on top of all the basic smaller things.

And just as I told them I’ll pass on that one, they added a new one:

https://www.beverlyhillscarclub.com/1981...c-9933.htm

$16,750, Grey automatic, 91k miles, interior and fascias are pretty bad, stainless looks ok (except left front panel), chassis not too bad?
Unless its been raining the underside looks like theres been a leak. Frame looks ok as it appears to just be dirt and grease. I suspect this is a non runner again and it needs alot of attention/work everywhere. Looks like most of the interior needs replacing.

Have a word with chris n about that dent on the front left. Im sure he can work his magic on that but only he can give you an estimate.

I would love to know where they get these cars from?
- DeLoryan
VIN 5219
Oct 81, Grey interior, 
manual, grooved hood
DOC 876
Interesting lower control arms, look to be the solid aluminium ones that came out a few years ago.
Is that line on the carpet from possible flood damage, which would mean rusty bits you can't see. 
Also wheel nuts missing hope they aren't stripped threads.

BHCC literally do nothing to these cars...
DOC 116
VIN 6237
That rusty coloured line as Stuart says is pretty scary, but underneath doesn't look that bad? Those LCAs are interesting, they look sliiightly different to the ones out now but it's hard to tell from that photo. Depends if you want an auto. As others have said you definitely need to do the equations in terms of what you can (and will) do yourself, what you'll spend having other people do bits. I'm in a similar situation to you in terms of skillset - I have local owners who have been a big help and have a space to work on it, which has already saved some money, but eventually I will ship it off to people who know what they're doing to get it sorted.

If it helps, that looks not a million miles off my car in terms of condition, if anything the chassis is better.

That said, without making judgements on your situation, you might be better suited hanging on longer and seeing if BHCC have a mid $20ks car up soon - they often look quite a bit better.
Quote: $16,750, Grey automatic, 91k miles, interior and fascias are pretty bad, stainless looks ok (except left front panel), chassis not too bad?
I quiet like this, had 'some' recent money spent, and whilst I see the water line I think this is a water leak into the cabin rather than having been submerged. The line in the P/X side footwell is not even and there's no sign anywhere else.
chris
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Also, no photos from the driver side, I guess the door doesn’t open?

On a side note, on suggestion from Stuart, I emailed Chris N and Rob Grady today to see if they have any projects available in decent shape.

Quote:On a side note, on suggestion from Stuart, I emailed Chris N and Rob Grady today to see if they have any projects available in decent shape.
May be worth looking at this, well respected importer: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Delorean-DMC-...Z01c5umIIn the UK so easy to go and have a look at at least.
Chris
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
(23 May 2019, 08:16)Alanoftheyear Wrote: And just as I told them I’ll pass on that one, they added a new one:

https://www.beverlyhillscarclub.com/1981...c-9933.htm

$16,750, Grey automatic, 91k miles, interior and fascias are pretty bad, stainless looks ok (except left front panel), chassis not too bad?

Update on this one from BHCC: "the engine is seized on this car."