Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Project Cars @ BHCC
(06 May 2019, 12:34)Chris P Wrote: We've seen this one before...... on the 12th of April this year....the interior can be any colour you want......it all needs replacing anyway!

How much is a complete interior replacement?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(06 May 2019, 07:51)Alanoftheyear Wrote:
(06 May 2019, 07:47)Chris Williams Wrote: Another solid looking project car: https://www.beverlyhillscarclub.com/1981...c-9729.htm Really nice chassis underneath, seems a reasonable project to me for $19,950

If only it was a grey interior...

Also, what’s this?
[Image: e866aa70b4f0362687ced5f26a37127a.jpg]

It's a radio antenna. Some earlier cars had the antenna in the windscreen. Then it was moved to the front right fender and finally they used a powered one in the rear fender.
Dermot
ex-Dunmurryite
vin 2743
(27 Apr 2019, 11:52)DMC1983 Wrote: Another one that needs some serious TLC priced at $14,750

https://www.beverlyhillscarclub.com/1981...ADSpI1qSsI

Looks like the $14,750 one is about to be sold
Thats one seriously rough car, the interior is the worst i've ever seen and look at the engine...it looks like major corrosion all over the metering  head area.....if that has gone down into the cylinders / valley.....well! Sad
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
It's kind of amazing, but there isn't a DeLorean they can't sell. Remember that this one sold last year, and that was on at over $10k

https://www.beverlyhillscarclub.com/1982...c-8727.htm
It looks like it was dropped out of a plane.....and landed on its wheels!
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Hey guys, just posting my previous question again, how much $ would a complete interior restoration be?

Particularly, if I were to have a black interior car that is semi destroyed and wanted to turn it into grey interior?

This one that was posted before: https://www.beverlyhillscarclub.com/1981...c-9729.htm

Let’s say I could get the price down to 15k (ideal case scenario). Between import duties to the UK, and other extra costs that I don’t know + work to get it running, how much are we looking at total in your opinion?

Just trying to see if I can even remotely think about getting it.

Thanks!
It would be very expensive I would have thought, if it was me I would get the car and then worry about the interior after everything else. Nothing wrong with a black interior car IMHO but it can be changed if you chose to do it. I'm just not sure how much the cost would be some parts are very difficult to get hold of but these can be sprayed successfully in the correct colour.
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Including carpets etc, if you go via the pro retrimmers, I would be surprised if you got it in under £4-5k. There's quite a lot of individual interior components (AS I AM DISCOVERING) and it racks up pretty fast.

The grey interior is my second favourite thing about these cars; that said the black has really grown on me in the last few years.

My car was listed at $19k and I got it down a little bit from that, broadly speaking that car looks slightly better than mine cosmetically, and I have a guesstimated budget of £28-30k based on what I know and a few worst case assumptions - hopefully it doesn't come out more than that.
Thanks Matt!

I’m talking with a BHCC sales rep now via email. Any particular questions I should ask?

Doesnt really matter the questions as ive found them to tell half truths really. I asked if my car was running, they said it was and when i got it, it wasnt. Seems they will say anything to get the sale really. Still, i was expecting the car to be a non runner anyway. 

Basically, look at the pictures and ask yourself "can i restore the car and how much will it cost me". Factor in export and import costs when making an offer. BHCC charged me something like $1500 for them to get it to port, deal with all the paperwork and ship it to felixstowe. This means you need to do nothing but sit and watch the painstaking journey to your chosen port which takes 6 to 8 weeks. Then its pretty simpler to deal with this end. Basically fill in some forms, pay the fees and 5% VAT and then go pick it up.

Another piece of advice, factor in the things that you cant see too like changing filters, oil, accumulator, brakes and struts (if they dont show a picture of the doors open from afar, then expect the doors to not stay open). Ive had to do all this plus more including all new tyres, ignition coil, ht leads, spatk plugs, fuel lines and fuel pump. Some of these i didnt really consider or factor in. 

As for interior pricing, well although my interior needs doing (mine isnt quite as bad as the one youve listed) i havent actually gotten quotes or anything yet as im more concernedd with getting the mechanicals done first. However, i have a car seat trimmers across the road from my workplace and i was quoted about £800 for the seats alone. I dont know if thats good or bad as its the only quote i have but personally i will be seeing lee p about my interior as he does fantastic work.
- DeLoryan
VIN 5219
Oct 81, Grey interior, 
manual, grooved hood
DOC 876
(21 May 2019, 06:42)DMC1983 Wrote: Doesnt really matter the questions as ive found them to tell half truths really. I asked if my car was running, they said it was and when i got it, it wasnt. Seems they will say anything to get the sale really. Still, i was expecting the car to be a non runner anyway. 

Basically, look at the pictures and ask yourself "can i restore the car and how much will it cost me". Factor in export and import costs when making an offer. BHCC charged me something like $1500 for them to get it to port, deal with all the paperwork and ship it to felixstowe. This means you need to do nothing but sit and watch the painstaking journey to your chosen port which takes 6 to 8 weeks. Then its pretty simpler to deal with this end. Basically fill in some forms, pay the fees and 5% VAT and then go pick it up.

Another piece of advice, factor in the things that you cant see too like changing filters, oil, accumulator, brakes and struts (if they dont show a picture of the doors open from afar, then expect the doors to not stay open). Ive had to do all this plus more including all new tyres, ignition coil, ht leads, spatk plugs, fuel lines and fuel pump. Some of these i didnt really consider or factor in. 

As for interior pricing, well although my interior needs doing (mine isnt quite as bad as the one youve listed) i havent actually gotten quotes or anything yet as im more concernedd with getting the mechanicals done first. However, i have a car seat trimmers across the road from my workplace and i was quoted about £800 for the seats alone. I dont know if thats good or bad as its the only quote i have but personally i will be seeing lee p about my interior as he does fantastic work.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks for the info! I took some notes on those parts and made a bit of a budget looking at prices online :Smile all in all like Matt says, I'm looking at around £25k in the long run, which doesn't look too bad, considering the price for these things keep going up.... might as well grab one for cheap and get it fixed over time...

The alternative would be to get a loan and buy a running one for £30k+....  
£25k is the lowest point I would expect to spend in my experience so far.

I thought about financing a running car, but, tbh, when this thing breaks down or costs you additional money and you're still paying back the cost of the purchase price, you will hate the car. In my mind it's better to do it this way, you can check and replace parts as you go, and you should have a car that is less of an unknown quantity by that point, but it will just take longer. I thought it was better to get in now before prices go up too much, but while parts are still borderline reasonable.

Quote:Doesnt really matter the questions as ive found them to tell half truths really. I asked if my car was running, they said it was and when i got it, it wasnt. Seems they will say anything to get the sale really. Still, i was expecting the car to be a non runner anyway.

Interesting you had that experience - mine was really good with them. They confirmed it was a non runner, and that it was missing keys etc, took more detailed photos, I asked about the doors etc and whether the torsion bars were in tact and they seemed pretty on it. Your average person here almost certainly knows much more about DeLoreans than they do but I found them pretty helpful.
Sad 
I originally wanted to get a decent runner straight away. However, i decided maybe a project was the way to go as i was getting a little disheartened thinking i would forever be chasing the ever climbing asking prices and i was getting tired of doing 12hour shifts.

Whilst its been frustrating at times with my project at least i know whats been done to the car and ive probably saved myself a few grand in the process. Not only that but im putting another delorean on the road and brought one back into the uk. Plus i know how to take the car apart better so as to not cause any damage which would of been a bummer on a more pristine car.

Way i see it is any delorean is a life long project. The hard part is getting one, the rest just falls into place once youve got it. Hopefully when you get one, the previous owner hasnt screwed around with the car too much like mine has. 

As matt says above im in agreement. People told me to get a loan or what not. Whilst it may be ideal for some, i felt that earning the money and buying one outright would be a greater accomplishment. Knowing its mine and not having to worry about making payments if i lost my job for whatever reason is a stress i didnt want. I would be devastated if i lost the car as that would be the first thing they take. Still everyone has their own journey.

Good luck on your noble quest brave sir knight

Yeah, they told me it was running and clearly it wasnt. If im having trouble starting it they certainly would of. Tbh im glad they couldnt cos it could have caused more problems what with the stale fuel, the dangerous underpowered fuel pump etc. The car clearly sat for a while before bhcc got it. Still, im not mad they kinda lied. Ive got the dream and without them i would still be doing stupid hours to get a decent one. I knew the risks buying unseen and frankly, ownership outweighed the risks. They at least will send you the car as opposed to a private seller where you may never see the car or your cash again
- DeLoryan
VIN 5219
Oct 81, Grey interior, 
manual, grooved hood
DOC 876
Thanks guys! Really appreciate hearing your stories and thought process here.

I’ll keep you posted Smile