Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Project Cars @ BHCC
Yes, it looks nice, but its top money by the time its back in the UK. There have been better buys around in the UK recently. (IMO)
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Another reasonable project for $27,500 https://www.beverlyhillscarclub.com/1981...c-7694.htm
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
(31 Aug 2017, 08:16)Chris Williams Wrote: One of the better looking project cars, if you excuse the body kit. Looks lie the frame needs a new front frame extention but these are now available: https://www.beverlyhillscarclub.com/1981...c-7675.htm

Hey - I've been looking at this car - I want a manual with black interior. I want a car that needs some work if possible, so seems to fit ok, and the price looks ok too.

Any majors issues from the pictures? The frame looks ok, but I'm no expert.

I was worried about the bodykit - will there be holes in the bodywork if that is removed? If so would it be easy to sort?

Cheers!

Priesh
#1373 - Black, Manual, Gas Flap

"Marty: Wait a minute, wait a minute, Doc, are you telling me that you built a time machine out of a delorean?

Doc: The way I see it, if you're gonna build a time machine into a car why not do it with some style..."
What holes? I can see any..bits of double sided tape in the interior, but the rest looks ok to me.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
(06 Sep 2017, 13:26)Chris P Wrote: What holes? I can see any..bits of double sided tape in the interior, but the rest looks ok to me.

Sorry Chris I meant any holes from the bodykit - I assume it has to be mounted somehow - worried that holes will have been made to secure the spoiler etc

"Marty: Wait a minute, wait a minute, Doc, are you telling me that you built a time machine out of a delorean?

Doc: The way I see it, if you're gonna build a time machine into a car why not do it with some style..."
(06 Sep 2017, 10:37)priesh Wrote:
(31 Aug 2017, 08:16)Chris Williams Wrote: One of the better looking project cars, if you excuse the body kit. Looks lie the frame needs a new front frame extention but these are now available:  https://www.beverlyhillscarclub.com/1981...c-7675.htm

Hey - I've been looking at this car - I want a manual with black interior. I want a car that needs some work if possible, so seems to fit ok, and the price looks ok too.

Any majors issues from the pictures? The frame looks ok, but I'm no expert.

I was worried about the bodykit - will there be holes in the bodywork if that is removed? If so would it be easy to sort?

Cheers!

Priesh

The side skirts are standard, so nothing to do there. The front valance is a replacement item, so again, not much to do bar replace it if that's your aim. The spoiler on the rear is a different question. There may be holes in the louvres, which is a pain as they aren't painted (they're just black) so a repair would likely mean matching paint to the black, or painting the whole thing (or, again, replacing it).

There's nothing worrying there though - it's all cosmetic.

The frame though - that'll be a fair involved job. The roll bar is holding what remains of the box section on. I'd want to remove the whole thing and fix it, as I'm not even sure it's possible to fix that insitu.
Dan
Member 101
VIN# 4566
Former Vins# 5641 (Maddie) and 5284 (Hana)

(06 Sep 2017, 13:41)Dan Willis Wrote: The frame though - that'll be a fair involved job. The roll bar is holding what remains of the box section on. I'd want to remove the whole thing and fix it, as I'm not even sure it's possible to fix that insitu.

Ah so you think there is a lot of work to do on the frame? That is the only thing that ever worries me. Which part did you think was the problem area? I need to get to grips more about the frame and what to look for.

Seem they have got a batch to sell number 3 for this week: https://www.beverlyhillscarclub.com/1981...c-7699.htm $32,500
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
180mph speedo.

Tad optimistic
Dermot
ex-Dunmurryite
vin 2743
(06 Sep 2017, 16:15)priesh Wrote:
(06 Sep 2017, 13:41)Dan Willis Wrote: The frame though - that'll be a fair involved job. The roll bar is holding what remains of the box section on. I'd want to remove the whole thing and fix it, as I'm not even sure it's possible to fix that insitu.

Ah so you think there is a lot of work to do on the frame? That is the only thing that ever worries me. Which part did you think was the problem area? I need to get to grips more about the frame and what to look for.

See that box shape on the right, the one that is grey inside? Well, that's the inside of the same thing you see on the left. It's sheared completely through and rotated 180 degrees. That means the front box section needs to be replaced. The good news is, those are available. The bad news is, it likely means the body and frame have to be separated first. I've done this and it's a big job. It also means that you won't be able to make the car road worthy until the work is done.[Image: 7675_p60_l.jpg]
Dan
Member 101
VIN# 4566

Ah that makes sense - that must be the front frame extension that Chris was referencing. Not sure you'll be able to answer this one, but how much would it cost to get that job done? It will drive my offer if I do go for it.

(13 Sep 2017, 10:21)priesh Wrote: Ah that makes sense - that must be the front frame extension that Chris was referencing. Not sure you'll be able to answer this one, but how much would it cost to get that job done? It will drive my offer if I do go for it.

I can't speak to the exact figures as, once that frame is off, you've literally no idea what the rest of it is like.

However, look here: http://www.delorean.eu/catalog/index.php...=19_31_116 - a front frame extension piece is €1800. Plus cutting the old one off, welding, coating it etc.

Feel free to PM me as I have my frame off and I have extensive costs to repair and recoat (i.e. remove the epoxy first, clean and weld, recoat) mine. It isn't cheap and there are MANY ways to do it, and most (if not all) are cheaper than the route I'm taking. However, as the current "keeper" of this DeLorean, I'd like to see it last another 35+ years, so I figure it's just... money. And time. Ahem.

You may also want to contact Chris Nicholson at PJ Grady here in the UK and ask him his thoughts (though don't expect a quick reponse - that man is crazy busy) since he's restored so very many DeLoreans.

As this is your first car, I'd probably walk away. But that's me; a frame off job is not a small one, and whilst it's off you'll be saying to yourself "Oh, I'll just do that whilst I'm here" and £20k and 5 years ater you'll probably still have a car in bits Wink
Dan
Member 101
VIN# 4566

A true labour of love! I'll see if I can get hold of Chris at PJ Grady - like you say he's a very busy man!

(06 Sep 2017, 16:25)Chris Williams Wrote: Seem they have got a batch to sell number 3 for this week: https://www.beverlyhillscarclub.com/1981...c-7699.htm $32,500

This one looks really nice - the speedo is a bit random though - would it actually be accurate? I thought the original was 85, and they were looking to create an 140mph version for non-us

(13 Sep 2017, 18:48)priesh Wrote:
(06 Sep 2017, 16:25)Chris Williams Wrote: Seem they have got a batch to sell number 3 for this week: https://www.beverlyhillscarclub.com/1981...c-7699.htm $32,500

This one looks really nice - the speedo is a bit random though - would it actually be accurate? I thought the original was 85, and they were looking to create an 140mph version for non-us
Hi
i'm sorry but in my opinion this car $10k plus overpriced, and needs serious work.

a front frame extension is no easy task. and massivley expensive unless you do it yourself. i have never seen a front frame sheared like that, not sure how it could have done that.

if you are looking for a D unless a serious project, i would only consider cars with a good frame. start from there.

i have restored a D and looking for a project...but i would only consider a bad frame car if it were really cheap....and do the work myself.

for me now i dont mind any interior manual or Auto...i think its condition and price that drives it. there has just been a good car on D. good body/frame/grey interior, but someone had half converted to carbs, so needed engine parts back. i would much prefer a car like that.

steve
Steve Saunders
Wolverhampton
ex owner vin 1621
doc 370