Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello from Grimsby, Lincolnshire
Hi Mike,
Good to hear from you, and somone so close to me, I didn't think that would happen, Goxhill isn't far at all.

Like most here, Ive always been interested with DeLoreans for as long as I can remember, the cars and the story behind the car.
I need as much advice and opinions as I can get, and a big thankyou to everyone on the forum who offers their expiriences/advice to me.
I was looking at the importing route, as my budget doesn't seem to stretch that far here (well, not at present anyway)

Once you have the car and your not so busy and at a time good for you I would love to come over for alook and to ask some questions, well alot of questions, thats most kind of you, thankyou.
It will be great hearing from someone who has gone through everything, from finding one, to shipping it over.

I hope everyhing goes as smoothly as it can and I look forward to hearing from you when you can,
All the best,
Mike
Hi Mike
I have not been a DeLorean owner as long as a lot of the members of DOC but I am happy to share my experience of importing a couple of cars from the USA just last year.
I was fortunate enough to meet the owner of the first car and view it before doing a deal with him 'Mike Brewer style' so I knew who I was buying from and to a point , knew what I was getting.
The second car was bought blind apart from a few photos however I had good reason to trust the seller ( friend of a friend sort of thing)
This car also turned out to be a good deal.
I would encourage any potential buyer to import from the USA as you get more choice and better value but I guess that it's easy for me to say this on the back of two successful deals, I also understand the reasons why some buyers wouldn't entertain buying blind from the US as some buyers have had bad experiences in the past.
Do you know what spec you want, ie grey or black interior, auto or manual, also, I assume that you are looking for a car which is more or less up together? ( should be achievable at £25k budget if you go up the import route)
Hope this helps
Mike
Mike Knowlton DOC #761
DeLorean DMC-12, VIN#4208,
Black Interior, Automatic. Grooved bonnet, Gasflap
Hi Mike,
Thankyou for sharing your experience with me, I'm keen to gain as much information as I can, and by making contact with someone such as yourself, it's a great insight, and a bonus as you have done it not so long back.
After watching the DeLorean segment on the 'Tonight' programme the previous week, It got me thinking it might start a rush of over 55's rushing out and buying up DeLoreans, thus pushing the price up higher, I really hope not.
I don't know if you saw the programme, but I thought it was a great example of the car.
It sounds like things have turned out well on the importing route for you, without doubt it helps to have some kind of contact in the field, and that is something that I don't have, which is a major negative for me.
But, like you said, the choice here is small, I have only seen a couple, one on ebay for 35k (well out of touch) and one for 22k, which raises alot of questions and seems to have been for sale for quite sometime.
My ideal car, would be black interior and manual, although not set in stone.
I was hoping that upto 25k would get me a car that is good to go, so to speak, i'm not bothered if the car hasn't got ultra low miles on the clock.
Just a quick question, if you know when when the first get together/meeting of owners/would be owners is going to be this year, I'm more than willing to travel.
Thanks again,
Mike
This will be the biggest get together of DeLoreans in the UK this year: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5440 I know it's a fair distance from you but even if you just come along on the Sunday to IWM Duxford then not only do you get to see lots of cars but it's a great place for a day out also! There are lots of cars coming from Europe and Ireland to. Keep an eye on the events section of the forum for smaller meets around the country to.
I think (and it's just my opinon) that the prices have just got to where they should have been, not sure if they will go up much more for a while. Just keep an eye on the DeLorean forums and Ebay I suspect there will be a few cars appear for sale as the spring moves on.
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Thanks for that Chris,
Without doubt I will be coming along to the event on Sunday, one question though, do I need to book a ticket in advance?
It is a fair drive from me, but like you said, it's a day out and a chance to talk to owners that I wouldn't usually get.
I will take your advice and keep checking the forum and looking on Ebay, fingers crossed more will start to show up.
Thanks again,
Mike
Quote:Without doubt I will be coming along to the event on Sunday, one question though, do I need to book a ticket in advance
No, just turn up on the day. It's a huge place and they often have car clubs exhibiting. I will have tickets available at about 35% off normal admission price. I will post up more and exact details nearer the time.
Chris
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Thanks for the info Chris, will sort that out nearer the time,
Mike
Hi Mike
Mike here from Goxhill, just bought another Delorean from the US, a silver one this time!!
Both heading for England in the same container, hopefully in a month.

Got some work to do on this one but nothing I can't handle, one possibly will be up for sale when it's finished, don't know which one though till they arrive

Like the Red one, but really wanted a silver one, spoilt for choice now

Great investment, and a lifelong dream, got 3 classics cars completed, running out of garage room

But this is what I enjoy doing, a good inheritance for my Grandchildren, not sure which one will have the Delorean, They all think it will fly when it's done!!

Awaiting eagerly for the call to pick them up from Southampton

Can't Wait, will let you know when they arrive
Cheers. Mike
Hi Mike,
Good to hear from you, you don't do things by half, do you?
The classic, original colour, that's the dream (well apart from one of those gold ones, but no chance with that)

You must be like a big kid, waiting for them to arrive, I don't think that I would be able to sleep!

It sounds like your getting a great collection together, but if you start to struggle for room, I have just the space for it, lol.
I fully understand what you mean by a lifelong dream, and as an investment it's much more fun than x amount sat in the bank one way or another.
I can see your Grandchildren expecting it to fly, asking why it does't work, I'm sure they will thankyou when they are older.

I'm excited for you, hope it doesn't take too long, looking forward to hearing from you,
All the best,
Mike
Hi All,

I see the price of the DeLorean on Ebay has been 'reduced' to £31,950 ono.
Does anyone have any info on the car?

The price is higher than my 25k target, but for a car in the condition it states it's in, is it worth it in the long run?

As always,thankyou for any advice, and Mike, how's the importing going? Any news yet?

Cheers,
Mike
Quote:Does anyone have any info on the car?
Not a lot, it was imported by an elderly gent in April last year at a very bargain price, However it was at this point a painted red car. He since sold it and it was brought to the condition it is in now by Chris N all as per the rest of the description. That's as much as is known about it really.
I'm sure it's been done really well and I doubt very much that you would ever know it was a painted car but I would check it over well!
Chris
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Hi Mike
Mike here from Goxhill
Update on my shipping, the container will be picked up tomorrow from Houston Texas, and should arrive in Southampton approx 10th May.
Seems like ages since I bought the first one in Feb, if I had,not have bought the second one I think it may have been still sitting on the dock waiting for another car to share the container.
We are tracking the ship on the computer and can watch which ports it is picking up from, that's been really interesting,

Will keep you updated when we know they are in the UK

Cheers mike
Hi Chris,

Thanks for the info, so it used to be red, thats interesting, looks like they have done a good job on it, but like you say, you need to have a good look at it.
Hi Mike,
Hope all is well.
Not that long to wait now, I bet you can't wait.
That's a nice addition, being able to track the journey, such along way to come, what a journey it is.
Another excited person here, looking forward to hearing from you in due course,

All the best,
Mike
Quote:I'm sure it's been done really well and I doubt very much that you would ever know it was a painted car but I would check it over well!
This is what it looked like when it arrived into the UK last April:
[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]
Chris
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584