Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ups and downs of buying a Delorean!!!
Hi
Last time I posted on here was as a newbie, having paid a deposit on Vin 5873 from a guy in the USA, was looking forward to getting it, then it all went Sour, read on!
The story begins, as it turned out we had already booked a holiday to Orlando and was flying out Friday 13th Feb, that should have been an omen looking back, even though I am not superstitious.

We had chatted over the phone and exchanged lots of e mails, turned out the seller lived not too far away and offered to bring the car to the Villa we where staying in on the night we where arriving. Arranged with Global shipping in the UK to collect the car from the villa in the next few days and transport it to the nearest Dock for shipping to Southampton from there I would travel from Lincolnshire to pick it up.

The night before we left the UK checked with the seller that all was well and confirmed details, he said it was trailered up ready to set off first thing in the morning and he should be with us approx 6pm.

As he had asked for cash for the car in $100 Dollar bills, We declared the amount of money to the Customs,we was pulled over including baggage to check why We where carrying that amount of cash and what we intended doing with it in the Us

I had all the paperwork for the shipping, receipt from the seller for deposit, copy of Clear Title and a bill of purchase made out ready so actually they where fine about it, just was a bit of a scary moment, and rather embarrassing.

We got to the villa approx 4.30 so rang him to see if he was near and he said he could drop it off earlier , he had plans to see family in Orlando and spend Saturday at a Theme Park.

Tried ringing him, no reply!! Finally got through to him about 7pm, my wife spoke to him first , he said he was nowhere near Orlando and there had been a change of plans and I might not be to happy after speaking to him.

On speaking to him, he said he had been offered more money than I had agreed to pay, he said he could not refuse this, on asking him about our agreement and deposit I had already paid 2 months previously he said he would return the deposit plus $500 dollars for the inconvenience,

I was fuming ,he knew all the shipping arrangements had been made and a lot of time and effort had been put into this purchase including sourcing all the parts needed to get it up to speck..

I had been watching with interest other Deloreans that was advertised on E Bay, one in particular, a RED one from DMC in Texas, which I placed a bid on, but did not win the Auction, I wasn't to bothered about that really as I had one coming, if I had have won the Auction I would have bought it anyway and had 2.

Now there's the Twist in the story!!! Next morning after returning to the Villa after a day out, turned on I Pad and to my amazement had got a second chance offer on the Red one in Texas. Which I accepted.

Spoke to James at DMC sorted out payment, also Tony at Global, so he could rearrange the transport, Will in the UK liaised with all of them and the deal was done, what a brilliant set of guys to deal with.

James has just sent me a picture of the car on a Transporter ,loaded up heading for the docks waiting to be shipped to the UK any day now. One very happy bloke now!!

Waiting eagerly for it to arrive, Vin no 10169 has a turbo fitted, which I will be taking off, so I am in need of a Full Stainless Exhaust, and the w shaped part of the inlet manifold, and would be grateful if anyone can help me source these.

Now I am an expert on shipping ect, will keep a lookout for stainless one to buy if the price is right!!!
Could start my own collection.
Nice to speak to your wife last night, and thanks for the book order.

I have full new SS system from the fella in Nottingham, that I have not used. I'll do you deal on that when you get the car in the UK.

All the best.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Hi Chris

Yes that will be good, will let you know when it lands in the UK
Looking forward to receiving the book too

Cheers Mike
Well done, I'm really quite liking those painted D's. Is it a runner?
Hi
Yes it's a runner, just needs exhaust sorting out and brakes, was,not particularly looking for a coloured one , but this red took my eye,
Hope it's as good as it looks in real as it looks on the transporter
Hi Mike, that is a terrible thing to do to someone. Though I dont see it did you get your deposit back all OK??? I saw the picture of the red car on facebook and about it heading back to the UK. Has a spoiler IIRC?
Any help you need just ask!
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Hi Chris
Nearly ruined my holiday too!!. Yes got deposit back, had paid it through Pay Pal took a week to get it.
Anyway lesson learned, looking forward to this project car, soon have it sorted hopefully.
Thanks for sharing this with us Mike…can't have been easy.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
No such thing as a gentleman's agreement anymore, is there.

Sorry to hear about that.

Would you mind sharing what you had agreed to buy 5873 for and how much of a deposit you paid, presumably via paypal?

And did you get the extra 500?
Dermot
ex-Dunmurryite
vin 2743
Looks like it is in the UK now.

Did you buy a second one, Mike?

[Image: 11280500_375774272628875_858936335_n.jpg]

[Image: 11374669_424222674446708_1150281686_n.jpg]

[Image: 11377555_1450818751900981_1682426780_n.jpg]
Dermot
ex-Dunmurryite
vin 2743
Can't blame you for stripping the turbo off rather than replacing it, the Island and BAE kits both had dubious fueling and ignition control and were a bit dodgy for engine life. That isn't a failure of the kit manufacturers; aftermarket EFI just wasn't practical back then. Still someone might be willing to buy the pipework; I remember Rob Scott on here was trying to find or make BAE-type inlet and exhaust manifolds a year or so back.
Hi
Yes did buy another, a silver one from America while waiting for the Red one to be sorted out, it worked out cheaper for a double container seeing as they where both near each other in distance, little we know that they would take such a long time to arrive to the UK!!!!
Shipping Company was not very informative when they landed in the UK only as to when I would take delivery of them!
I still haven't received the cars but hopefully the transporter company said he will be delivering them tomorrow, he sent me some great pictures today, both cars loaded up ready , fingers crossed all being well by tomorrow night they will be on my drive AT LAST!! Will keep you posted

Then the REAL journey begins****************

Regards Mike
Mike holtby Wrote:Hi
Yes did buy another, a silver one from America while waiting for the Red one to be sorted out, it worked out cheaper for a double container seeing as they where both near each other in distance, little we know that they would take such a long time to arrive to the UK!!!!
Shipping Company was not very informative when they landed in the UK only as to when I would take delivery of them!
I still haven't received the cars but hopefully the transporter company said he will be delivering them tomorrow, he sent me some great pictures today, both cars loaded up ready , fingers crossed all being well by tomorrow night they will be on my drive AT LAST!! Will keep you posted

Then the REAL journey begins****************

Regards Mike
Two cars at once?!!
You're like the Jack Nicolson of DMC owners!!
:lol: :lol:
Seriously though, well done. Love hearing about more cars being brought "home"
"If you put your mind to it, you can achieve anything" ~ McFly family
Well they are sat on my drive at last!!!

Everything I hoped they would be and more

Thanks to auto movements for bring them safely to me today, arrived when he said he would, much appreciated

Can't wait to get started on them ,2 fine Deloreans in the making

Will post some pics when I get started on them

Mike
Cone on Mike. What's happening?
You winning or have they got you filled with dread, shivering in a corner somewhere, another beaten man! :lol:

Pics, pics, pics!