Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alternator Bracket- custom parts
This is shameless plug! Mods please bear with me, I hope this is of benefit to your members
My name is Phil, this is my first post, I don't own a DeLorean! I'm a petrol head tho, cars and bikes!
I make adjustable alternator brackets, probably have sold 300 odd in the past couple of years, all started by making my own for a crossflow engined Sylva Striker. Then someone else wanted one and they snowballed from there, MGF's were very popular, so popular someone else started making those too!
My real interest is interesting applications
I've done them for:-
BDA engined hill climb car
500bhp air cooled nitrous Karmann Ghia drag car
Porsche
280z
E types
Marine applications
Kit cars

Research on google shows the DeLorean could maybe benefit. If someone is willing to work with me to finalise sizes then I'm willing to do one at £10 inc post to UK, drop me a message/PM if interested, first to contact me can have one at 'prototype' price.
I know so far they are M8 rod ends, I really need a fitted length, that's a centre to centre length of the mounting nuts when the belt is fitted. This needs to be with std belt size please. I use 6082T6 bar, which is a high strength engineering alloy.
I've seen some of the posts on the US site, which suggests an adjuster would be 100-120mm long. If that's the case then cost would be around £22.50 inc 1st class post to uk.
here are a few pics, the first one would probably be close to what i envisage for the DeLorean, the last one is a special, they cost more due to machining cost
[Image: tZy1nJY.jpg]
[Image: KNwVy3Q.jpg?1]
[Image: QOC3Ka2.jpg]
Tensioning the alternator isn't too much of a challenge, and needs doing so rarely that I'm not sure anyone cares enough. Happy to be wrong though. Renault fitted a double-threaded tensioner to later PRVs but they rust so easily as to need replacing when you come around to needing to change the belt. A simple slider bracket can't.
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
http://www.delorean.co.uk
Yes, one of the few bits of original engineering that gives few problems…….(once you have a decent sized alternator).

Plus of course they just don't look original (stock).
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
thanks guys for the comments. Yes I understand the 'non-stock' thing is sometimes an issue to purists!
I would be interested in one of these!
thanks Babis, I'll drop you a PM
i'll need the centre to centre length of the mounting bolts, maybe you can mail me a picture too please?
thanks,
Phil
Personally, the tensioning of the alternator is a right pain in the backside - I hate having to lever it as the fulcrum points are awkward. I'd be very interested in one of these if they were ever made?

fwiw he's on faceblook as Custom Alternator Adjusters
Vin 11789 (probably #50 of the Middle East batch of 50)
I've contacted him and will be providing measurements.
£25 posted and they look far better than the original bracket (which I will keep of course).

Changing a belt on the side of the road will be very easy should the belt ever break when I'm out and about.

Nice guy who responds very quickly. I'm taking some pictures and measurements tonight and will send them off to him.
(04 Jul 2018, 14:57)SpudMurphy Wrote: I've contacted him and will be providing measurements.
£25 posted and they look far better than the original bracket (which I will keep of course).

Changing a belt on the side of the road will be very easy should the belt ever break when I'm out and about.

Nice guy who responds very quickly. I'm taking some pictures and measurements tonight and will send them off to him.

I've been working with this guy and have now fitted a prototype to my car.

For guys who get their hands oily, doing their own cars, you'll appreciate that when trying to lever the alternator to get the tension correct, you are hampered by body panels, oil pressure sensor, oil filter.
Yes I know it's possible - but the grief this modification will save you, whether it be when working in your garage or at the side of the road is well worth the cost of the product.

You can literally wind the "mechanism" close to the tension with your hand, finish off with 2 spanners - and jobs a good 'un.

Purists may frown - but I have the original one bagged and labelled and put away - this new product really does help.
(How many of you have tools that you infrequently use, but when you do, you're thankful you bought that tool? Think of the bracket in the same way?)

I'll keep you posted when the prototype is given the thumbs up after my feedback to the manufacturer.

Put one on your Xmas list ! :-)