Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WPC 246X - VIN 6424, Grey, Manual - Surrey
It will almost certainly sell then…..most recent auction cars have done very well. But a good slice of that goes in commission.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Chris P Wrote:But a good slice of that goes in commission.
Exactly, that's why I tried to talk John out of going down the auction route.
VIN# 04708, Grey interior, 5 speed, October 1981
DOC 649
ex DOC 562
Sold.

£30250 (hammer price £27500, plus 10% buyers commission)
VIN# 04708, Grey interior, 5 speed, October 1981
DOC 649
ex DOC 562
Sounds about right. , so if he's put it up for about 25K he's probably end up with the same amount of money.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Strange that the auction price is more than he was asking.
Obviously bought by people who aren't researching the market.
Of-course I could see Deloreans being a impulse purchase. They seem to bring out warm, fuzzy feelings in people.
Yes Ive had those warm fuzzy feelings for the last 20 years…its still not gone away……
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
DMCTodayMichael Wrote:I thought you guys could pretty much name your price on these cars over there. I am still surprised how many sell here in the U.S. and get shipped to the U.K. Taking into account the cost of shipping, timeframe, and the fact that most can't undergo a personal inspection would make a car for sale there so much more attractive even if it is above market. I didn't even mention the risks of international online transactions, oh and I almost forgot, making them M.O.T. ready. If I was an English chap looking for a DeLorean, I would exhaust the market before looking overseas.

for us, it often is cheaper to buy a 'project car' from the USA, shipping isn't that expensive (mine was about $1400 to ship as a non runner from San Diego, via LA and the Panama Canal), and the tax laws here mean that we pay less on a DeLorean as it was originally built in the UK, then on a normal US built import like a Mustang.

My car cost, before shipping and taxes, US $4500 in 2002 (about £2,850), and probably owes me about GBP £11,000 now, and I'm looking to set an insurance value when the renewal is up in June of around GBP £28,000, as that's what it would cost me to replace it if the worst ever happened.

We just have to make sure we get plenty of pictures of any particular purchase, and if possible speak to the vendor over the phone, or find someone in the US who is local and able to inspect the car for us.
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie