Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VIN 4566 Restoration
Uroglas do make the with or without the screen, always found it best to ring them rather then email.

They supplied mine that's got the built in antenna - its got an electric aerial in the rear pontoon, but a
screen aerial is correct for my cars age.

The car looks amazing Dan, well done - and I can't believe its been 8 years since you bought it!
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
One thing that couldn't be completed at PJ was the steering wheel:

[Image: 51885646820_12e332f310.jpg]Various DeLorean pics by Dan Willis, on Flickr

I engaged Royal Steering Wheels, and this just arrived:

[Image: 51884995416_da329e0046.jpg]DeLorean steering wheel by Dan Willis, on Flickr

Impressive is an unstatement. It's new Smile

I now have a long list of parts, ironically, to fit:

New gearknob
Driver's side forward door light lense (it fell out somewhere in its travels)
Some trim pieces (such as trunk passenger wing cover)
A new luggage net
LED rear tail lights
Fog light kit for above
Parking sensors
Some airconditioning trunking (missing)

Nothing major and I already have some ideas of next jobs as well (it'll never end).

More pics when I can get some time to fit it all.
Dan
Member 101
VIN# 4566
Former Vins# 5641 (Maddie) and 5284 (Hana)

Hello all, here is a little update as it has been a while...

I've held off on registration because the DVLA are being unhelpful. Despite the car's age, they insist I pay a year's road tax because the rule for mine isn't true until 1st April, so on Friday I'm sending the docs (i.e. after the 1st, and who knows how long they'll take to do it).

In the meantime, there's still a laundry list of things to do on the car, not least running the engine in and getting it tuned (chicken/egg).

I had Covid last week so in order to keep out of my wife/daughter's way, I had a few hours to myself on the car (I wasn't ill, but I'm on a vaccine trial programme so they literally bled me dry for science!) and did a few jobs.

The battery died; despite being on a trickle charger, I think I bought it when I got the car so it's been nearly 8 years and it died a death. I had to roll the car out of the garage to get to the battery and the bloody seat wouldn't move. I had to remove the seat, and whilst it was out I oiled up the runners and got a nice smooth action. I put it back in...

[Image: 51968652218_37d163df90.jpg]DeLorean works by Dan Willis, on Flickr

...and it still won't move. I guess I'll need to washer the bolts and raise it ever so slightly as it must be interfering with the carpet. I'll have to do that when I get a new battery as my back did not enjoy doing that Smile

I put the new steering wheel on too:
[Image: 51968643548_9c9c596f1c.jpg]DeLorean works by Dan Willis, on Flickr

I was missing a door strap, so two new ones:
[Image: 51968587886_55527ebc1b.jpg]DeLorean works by Dan Willis, on Flickr

I was missing this lense too, so I switched out the bulbs for LEDs and replaced this:
[Image: 51968587751_cf5962355e.jpg]DeLorean works by Dan Willis, on Flickr

My luggage net was... ruined, so I replaced it. I may repair the old one; the elastic had turned to dust but the webbing itself is fine:
[Image: 51967582542_0289ecf774.jpg]DeLorean works by Dan Willis, on Flickr

The plate mounting the rear bumper to the frame was missing (there were odds and sods from the partial engine disassembly missing over the years), so this tightening things up a bit:
[Image: 51968588106_d8b1a30a9a.jpg]DeLorean works by Dan Willis, on Flickr

And lastly I removed the lights. I have new boards and LEDs and my existing boards are a bit rusty and the lights don't all work very well. I have a fog light kit and reverse-sensor kit to go in so I had to stop here as that is going to be a lot of work:
[Image: 51968652003_5b506b3d89.jpg]DeLorean works by Dan Willis, on Flickr

I also removed the door sill trim (from the doors) as mine was brittle and solid. I have new rubber to fit but it'll need cutting up; so again, another job for another day. I have a new gear knob and a piece of missing trim from the frunk to fit too, but it requires bonding, so... yeah, time.

Whilst doing the work I realised I have no rear view mirror (it never did) and the airbox to pontoon hose is missing, so they're now on order. Once the battery arrives I'll be fitting a cut-off switch and cabled-in trickle charger to keep things neat.

Hopefully between that lot and a set of number plates I'm not far off getting her out for a run!
Dan
Member 101
VIN# 4566

wow, she's looking amazing Dan, those seats look gorgeous, and I love the grey steering wheel.

Good luck getting her registered, hopefully the docs wont take as long as my driving licence renewal
which I sent off in October, and got back in February......

If only we still had the DVLA local offices where you could go in and see a human being and get the paperwork
done on the spot, instead of dealing with their infuriating automated phone system that wont put you through
to anybody.
(29 Mar 2022, 13:26)Guinney1971 Wrote: wow, she's looking amazing Dan, those seats look gorgeous, and I love the grey steering wheel.

Good luck getting her registered, hopefully the docs wont take as long as my driving licence renewal
which I sent off in October, and got back in February......

If only we still had the DVLA local offices where you could go in and see a human being and get the paperwork
done on the spot, instead of dealing with their infuriating automated phone system that wont put you through
to anybody.

Thanks. The wheel is black, but looks oddly grey in pictures, but either way it compliments the rest of the interior very well.

Regarding the DVLA; yes, and there was a documentary recently that would suggest I'll be lucky to see plates within 6/8 weeks. My license I renewed in December and got it back in December so you appear to have been very unlucky!

Agreed on the offices as well; that's how I registered my previous DeLorean back in 2002!
Dan
Member 101
VIN# 4566

thats one clean as heck car, i sent my documents to the DVLA last week with 6 months tax and MOT exemption form (advised from others who registered earlier this year) should have a V5 by next week hopefully but i was informed it takes between 3-5 weeks usually
Vin: 5222, 81 grey auto "Ryuko"

2017 Ford Fiesta 1.0L EcoBoost (silver)

Club YouTube channel creator
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYJmbtB...DhNzZQPDlA 

Submit videos for the channel:
YTAdmin@deloreans.co.uk
(29 Mar 2022, 20:21)theningiachicken Wrote: thats one clean as heck car, i sent my documents to the DVLA last week with 6 months tax and MOT exemption form (advised from others who registered earlier this year) should have a V5 by next week hopefully but i was informed it takes between 3-5 weeks usually

Good luck with it; the advice coming out of the DVLA seems bizarrely out of whack with that. I was told, point blank, "no V5 without at least one MOT". Sure, it's exempt here on out, but you need at least one. However, tax is the other way around... ho hum. I'm fine with the MOT thing though; exempt or not, I'll be getting mine checked yearly as I'm much happier that someone in the know can check things I cannot.

3/5 weeks if fine though, if so. I'll probably still be doing jobs by then! Big Grin
Dan
Member 101
VIN# 4566

Same here Dan, when #2292 is eventually back on the road, I'll still get it MOT'd, I'd rather
know my car was safe then take the risk.
Ohhhkay, so somehow the year just disappeared. Hmm, that's disappointing.

In any case, as of yesterday afternoon... then not for a bit, and now again (for a bit?) I have a driveable DeLorean. The last few months have been trying to get my rear lights working correctly. I bought new boards and LEDs and the fog light kit (and some parking sensors, since.. why not?) and proceeded to fit it all. Then, well, it all went wrong. For a while I had double fogs and no brakes, then neither, then.. well, you get the picture. Then when it DID all work, the lights wouldn't go back on as the screw clips were worn out, so I've had to replace them all.

THEN, well, the clutch reseviour popped and dropped all the fluid. And I've noticed a gearbox and engine oil leaks (luckily they both look like from the drain plugs, so they're being replaced soon).

So yesterday, it was all working (and as of today, the rear lights BOTH work since one stopped.. but you know, old car). I even drove it up the end of the road - all 100m maybe - and back.

Shame the weather sucks!

[Image: 52512616588_00bf35e62a_c.jpg]DeLorean lights by Dan Willis, on Flickr
Dan
Member 101
VIN# 4566

Excellent progress, well done indeed! 100m us better than nothing. Shame about the clutch though, these cars do fight you all the way and they're never apparently grateful.

I did have a bit of a faff getting brake lights and fogs to play nicely, it needed some diodes somewhere in the system.
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
(20 Nov 2022, 23:11)Rich Hanlon Wrote: Excellent progress, well done indeed! 100m us better than nothing. Shame about the clutch though, these cars do fight you all the way and they're never apparently grateful.

I did have a bit of a faff getting brake lights and fogs to play nicely,  it needed some diodes somewhere in the system.

Yeah the diodes were the issue. Once I redid it all, it worked fine - it's just fiddly work bent-double with a soldering iron! Smile

Not sure if the clutch is fixed really; a few miles and some pumping or bleeding might help, but if not it'll be a new cylinder. Again.
Dan
Member 101
VIN# 4566

I could never work out the reason for using diodes as part of a fog light modification. I'd need to see the circuit which has been devised.

Once you cut the board link between the inner and outer brake lights on the tail light boards, you can drive the inner lights any way you want after that.

I have a simple fog light relay which once energised via my fog light switch; diverts the power to the inner brake lights way from the normal brake pedal function route to a permanent "always on" feed, therefore forcing the inner brake lights to be illuminated all the time when the switch is put to the "FOG LIGHT ON" position.

The switch is obviously conditioned to only be able to supply power to toggle the relay with the dipped beam headlights being in the ON position too, so that you don't accidentally take out two of your brake lights during the day by pressing the fog light switch.

No diodes required.
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
Diagrams are freely available for the kit; I tried it with and without and I ended up with only two brake lights, now I have four, and two fogs when I need them. It's very neat, but my last car had a different set up. These are LEDs, if it makes any difference. I doubt it Smile
Dan
Member 101
VIN# 4566

(21 Nov 2022, 12:55)Dan Willis Wrote: Diagrams are freely available for the kit; I tried it with and without and I ended up with only two brake lights, now I have four, and two fogs when I need them. It's very neat, but my last car had a different set up. These are LEDs, if it makes any difference. I doubt it Smile

If the kit is designed to work with the diodes in place, then of course you must use them, but you can achieve the same thing without a design using diodes was my point. In my circuit, you obviously need a fog light relay, which for me, wasn't an issue. There is plenty of space in the relay compartment for additional relays. I guess if you're trying to do it without a relay, then you'd need to use diodes to prevent back-feed of the circuit at one point.

Where do you find the circuit diagram?
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
(21 Nov 2022, 13:36)Rissy Wrote:
(21 Nov 2022, 12:55)Dan Willis Wrote: Diagrams are freely available for the kit; I tried it with and without and I ended up with only two brake lights, now I have four, and two fogs when I need them. It's very neat, but my last car had a different set up. These are LEDs, if it makes any difference. I doubt it Smile

If the kit is designed to work with the diodes in place, then of course you must use them, but you can achieve the same thing without a design using diodes was my point.  In my circuit, you obviously need a fog light relay, which for me, wasn't an issue.  There is plenty of space in the relay compartment for additional relays.  I guess if you're trying to do it without a relay, then you'd need to use diodes to prevent back-feed of the circuit at one point.

Where do you find the circuit diagram?

Of course; wasn't trying to step on your point, just explain the kit (it's from DGo and has the PDF/diagrams). It's very basic and uses the headlight relay, so the diodes help prevent feedback to that. My last kit, back 15+ years ago just cut the board and I think did the same thing, used a separate relay. I've slept since then so I'm not 100% sure Smile
Dan
Member 101
VIN# 4566