Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VIN 4566 Restoration
(06 Feb 2021, 17:43)Guinney1971 Wrote: Great to see this progressing, and I can sympathise on the back, I've got osteoarthritis from my neck
to my feet, and everything hurts, creaks, or feels like its about to let go at any moment.

Whatever mine is has gone undiagnosed. It's stress, nerves, and other such oddities of being a human. I've been seeing a massage therapist, chiropractor and physio for years... and thanks to that bug going around, two of those have shut their doors permenantly. Good times.

In other news, the chassis is back in the body. If it can be started, moved forwards and backwards under PRV power, it should be back here soon.
Dan
Member 101
VIN# 4566
Former Vins# 5641 (Maddie) and 5284 (Hana)

VIN 4566 returned home on Friday; it went from this, in October last year (2020):

[Image: 50118753947_afbbcb12db_c.jpg]

To this in the early new year (2021):
[Image: 50972206338_3544f33dbb_c.jpg]

To finally on it's way:
[Image: 51111551311_0882759120_c.jpg]

To give you a flavour of the work done - because to look at the car from the outside, you'd wonder! - it's entirely mechanical:

1. Full engine rebuild; including pistons, liners, crank, cams, alternator, air conditioning system, clutch, flywheel. It's probably easier to list the parts that are original... the block is Tongue
2. New brakes; calipers rebuilt, new discs, lines, master/slave cylinders.
3. New fuel tank, pumps, sender, all lines, filler, cap, filters.. everything.
4. New suspension; springs and shocks, bushes, everthing.
5. New cooling system; everything.
6. New steering rack (had the old one refurbished but it didn't work out, so a new one went in).
7. HVAC system was rebuilt; new motor, evaporator etc.

I'm struggling to think of much that wasn't touched, replaced or at least refurbished. Anything that was needed - especially with the body off - was done, so when it was mated back up, there'd be no going back and tackling an impossible job.

So, huge thanks to Martin G for doing the rebuild; the engine should be a lot of fun as it's a E-spec now (since I had to replace even the pistons, it made sense. It runs very nicely, but needs some fettling/fueling and running in beforehand.

Quite rightly, a set of lights and some wheel alignment should only be needed for an MOT (well, windscreen excepted) but there's little point in my mind. On to the cosmetics (when I've paid for this lot). 

It'll still need:

1. Dents removed and stainless rebrushing.
2. Upper windscreen trim replaced (it's smashed).
3. ... and a windscreen.
4. Various external trim bits; brackets and clips.
5. Rear lights refurbished or replaced (pricing puts me off here) as the lenses have faded.
6. Front lights. It has none.
7. Front and rear fascia's repaired/painted (eyebrows etc).
8. Front rock screen replaced.

That's the exterior, then:

1. New seat covers.
2. Likely new carpets; not sure.. but... um, yeah.
3. All dash parts recovered (they're green/split/burnt)
4. New headliners
5. Door cards recovered - one has been drilled/screwed through for, reasons?
6. Thorough electrical going-through.
7. Anything else I've forgotten... like a new glovebox. Yes, that's broken.

It's not likely to see the road this year. There's little incentive with the wonder C19 still causing problems; but I'll get there!
Dan
Member 101
VIN# 4566

Wow, that's a big change, done well to get that far with all your changed priorities.
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Good going Dan. It's a marathon, not a race. Take your time, enjoy the experience, do it once, do it right. Then you'll enjoy a lovely tax free classic into the days where you turn an old man who can no longer even get in and out of it any more.
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
(12 Apr 2021, 19:15)Chris Williams Wrote: Wow, that's a big change, done well to get that far with all your changed priorities.
Chris

Between a knackered back and a 3 years, it's not down the list, but still important to me. I've had her longer than the two previous DeLoreans, and I wanted my bloody garage back.

Cosmetics should be less fraught. They won't be... but still Tongue

(12 Apr 2021, 20:16)Rissy Wrote: Good going Dan.  It's a marathon, not a race.  Take your time, enjoy the experience, do it once, do it right.  Then you'll enjoy a lovely tax free classic into the days where you turn an old man who can no longer even get in and out of it any more.

I enjoyed taking it apart, but I can't lean forwards - oddly all car work appears to need a 45' angle - for much time, so it'll be sent hither and nither for work. I'm pricing up the interior/exterior work and may do some of it. Buuut, I also have several other cars(demands) so I'd like it to be useable. 

I'm already on my way to not being able to get in and out, so having it done is probably better than losing skin and blood on it Big Grin

In any case, thanks. It'll be 12/18 months away anyway, so there is no rushing. I'll post some more details when I get a minute.
Dan
Member 101
VIN# 4566

great work Dan, its coming on a treat.
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Excellent progress indeed, and you had a lot to do! Great to see it come back together.
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
(12 Apr 2021, 20:44)Guinney1971 Wrote: great work Dan, its coming on a treat.

It is and unfortunately all I'm really doing is making decisions and spending money. Oddly, I'm quite happy with that at the moment. I blame my daughter Big Grin

(13 Apr 2021, 00:07)Rich Hanlon Wrote: Excellent progress indeed, and you had a lot to do! Great to see it come back together.

Indeed; similar to yourself - so I'm always reading your updates to steal your ideas Wink
Dan
Member 101
VIN# 4566

I admire anyone who  undertakes a "body off" job.......i've always avoided it......just too much work for me.  Blush

Well done Dan and Richard.  Wink
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
(13 Apr 2021, 08:49)Chris P Wrote: I admire anyone who  undertakes a "body off" job.......i've always avoided it......just too much work for me.  Blush

Well done Dan and Richard.  Wink

Ironically it's one of the easiest things to do! Thanks, though. Smile
Dan
Member 101
VIN# 4566

I must admit I've found it easier than expected too Dan.  And it can get super spendy if you do everything 'while you're at it'!  Plus you've done much more engine works than me: I've done the valley work and ancillaries but I haven't been into the case.

It looks a bit daunting when it's all apart, but I have found the majority of it is logical.  And if something does go wrong, it's only a matter of undoing it again which is generally easy with nice new rust-free fittings, not just oxidised blobs which haven't moved since 1981. 

Glad my 6126 updates are coming in useful. As I said all along, it's as much for creating my own record of events as anything else, but I'm glad it's been of use to some. I'm aware reading it back now that there are many gaps associated with either lack of progress or making undocumented progress, but hopefully the majority is there. 

In terms of refurbishment of rear lights you mention; if yours were like mine, it was only the amber which had faded.  Polished the rest up, then painted the amber lenses with orange glass paint.  Looks fab.  Would have been even better if I'd laid the lenses flat to do it as I could have put a thicker coat on without risk of runs.
(13 Apr 2021, 23:43)Rich Hanlon Wrote: I must admit I've found it easier than expected too Dan.  And it can get super spendy if you do everything 'while you're at it'!  Plus you've done much more engine works than me: I've done the valley work and ancillaries but I haven't been into the case.

It looks a bit daunting when it's all apart, but I have found the majority of it is logical.  And if something does go wrong, it's only a matter of undoing it again which is generally easy with nice new rust-free fittings, not just oxidised blobs which haven't moved since 1981. 

Glad my 6126 updates are coming in useful. As I said all along, it's as much for creating my own record of events as anything else, but I'm glad it's been of use to some. I'm aware reading it back now that there are many gaps associated with either lack of progress or making undocumented progress, but hopefully the majority is there. 

In terms of refurbishment of rear lights you mention; if yours were like mine, it was only the amber which had faded.  Polished the rest up, then painted the amber lenses with orange glass paint.  Looks fab.  Would have been even better if I'd laid the lenses flat to do it as I could have put a thicker coat on without risk of runs.

I'd seen the light paint, but I've no memory of the state of mine (they're stored, so out they'll come!) except I know at least one has a white amber lense. I'll look in to it. At £400+ a pop, I'll save what I can.

Yes, my engine was a complete rebuild. I quite fancied having it all original for a bit (not least for tax/MOT reasons) as originally I'd bought it as a non-runner to just an LS in the back. 

As you say though - "spendy". I'm not too bothered with what I've spent so far, but the cosmetics do worry me a bit. Your logs though, they help. Could you let me know what leather restorer you used? I may try getting mine half decent before I replace.
Dan
Member 101
VIN# 4566

This is the leather stuff I have Dan, got it from a trade stand at the NEC.

I know Chris P would recommend Gliptone.

Chris in the past also lent me some leather dye to improve the appearance of cracks. Jaguar Seville Grey.  Filled in the bare white cracks beautifully.  Then loads of reconditioner etc to try to turn the hard rafts of leather supple again.
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
Most kind, Sir!
Dan
Member 101
VIN# 4566

I've been using leather reviver I bought from Aldi. Seems pretty good stuff. I also bought their Stainless Steel revivor too. Seems pretty good stuff. My car's been Aldi'd inside and out. Big Grin
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)