Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone know SIJ 1083 Cunningham collection RHD?
Well it seems the Isle of Man is to get a new Motor Museum, odd choice of venue but hey. Anyway the thing that is of most interest is SIJ 1083 an 82/83 flat hood RHD Delorean.

I've not seen the car yet myself, being held in storage waiting the completion of the new museum building so don't have any idea of the vin. Does anyone know anything about this car? It has the 'truck' rear end light treatment of some Euro spec cars but other than that nothing stands out other than the wheel being on the wrong side.
VIN 17152 - The Manx 'D'
Last I knew, SIJ 1083 belonged to VIN#12180 and was owned by Darren Cunningham. It's still on their website : http://www.cunninghamclassiccars.co.uk/

Is this the museum you're talking about? http://www.isleofmanmotormuseum.com/pdf ... ochure.pdf
If you're gonna build a timemachine, why not do it with style !
http://www.deloreanclubbelgium.eu
Well, I didn't see that one coming! The museum looks Huge, I know the area around the old RAF base on the IOM.

This was Darren and his Dad at Gaydon in 03. (not long after I sold him the car) The Irony is that the car originally came from the IOM!!
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
There you go, arriving at my house complete with IOM number.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Any more history on this car, Chris?

PS. Looks like there was an Alfa Romeo Montreal there too in that last picture?
If you're gonna build a timemachine, why not do it with style !
http://www.deloreanclubbelgium.eu
Well Andy,

I was first alerted to it when the owner phoned me up from the IOM. He had stuck it in a car auction in the south of England about 15 years ago. As I had recently bought Delores, ( and one or two others) when he asked me if I wanted to buy it as it had not reached its reserve. I was not really interested, despite the fact that it was a RHD.

I did talk my Mrs into having a 3 hour ride down with me to have a look at it.

It had been taken into storage and was filthy and not running! Hardly a good auction prospect. To cut a long story short, it was very low mileage with a full history and very clean inside, with straight panels …it was a good car…just not running. So I phoned its solicitor owner, on the IOM and we came to an agreement. I had it delivered and it only luckily, took a day to get it running and a week to finish it off. Young Darren had asked if I knew of any for sale and he soon became the proud owner of it.

His dad had a bomb shelter type garage under his house, where they kept the rest of their collection. Now it would seem the have a proper Museum, on the IOM.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Now here's the thing - I wonder if this was the car that was bought for £15,000 and then offered to me 'as a gift' for £22,000?
Or maybe it was one of the other 15 cars?

Chris P wrote
Quote: I have been into classic cars from the early 60's. Ive owned and run a Chrome plating firm for 35 years dealing with dozens of classic car owners and restorers on a daily basis and also I've owned 15 DeLoreans.

Del Boy once said Car Club officials always act in the best interests of members and profiteer from their actions...
Quote:Del Boy once said Car Club officials always act in the best interests of members and profiteer from their actions...
? Not sure who that was aimed at Robert, but I can assure you I dont. Indeed I tried to get out of being membership secretary some years ago to concentrate on my family but due to lack of volunteers I carried on. I certinally dont profiteer from any action (and dont have the funds to do so out of my own money) and any and every club financial action is documented in the club accounts freely available to any club member in the relevent section of the forum. Indeed a good example is the NEC Classic Car Show where I pay for my own hotel accomodation and give up 4 days to attend (as do lots of other club members) at no cost to the club, and I'm very appreciative of this.
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Certainly not aimed at you Chris W. It's a pity there weren't more decent blokes like you around!

Have another read at my post and then think about it. :-)

Robert
Hi Chris W, (and the rest of our readers)

No Robert was not having a go at you. He is just doing his usual act of having a pop at me.

Robert and I used to get on perfectly well when I used to attend the various Euro-Fests over in Northern Ireland. He even took my young son for a ride in his car at one event, long before I bought my first car. He was charm itself. He was even civil to me when I took "Dusty" to another event, letting me have the honour of driving it down to the Giants causeway for the main photo-shoot.

Robert was "Mr DeLorean in the UK', he was the main man everyone contacted when they wanted to know something DeLorean related, or hire a car or whatever. He was the NI rep for the aptly names "DOA" , the American based DeLorean Owners Association, which at the time was just about the only DeLorean club going. It had about 40 members in the UK at one time, it was quite expensive and rather elitist (in my opinion) It was very USA orientated.

It was at a DOA Euro-fest event, that I overheard an American owner discussing with Robert, the immediate, predicted demise of the fledgling UK DOC. of which I was a recent recruit ( no 95 I think) .

It became my immediate aim in in life to prove them both wrong. After discussions with Dave Howarth and Simon Lee-Milne, I took over as secretary of the DOC Uk and during the next few years, with the help of numerous keen volunteers, we increased our membership to about 400. (whilst the DOA had dropped down to mere handful in the UK).

This is Roberts problem with me….I suddenly became "Mr. DeLorean"….not him. Our club became very successful as his continued to decline.

Comments removed at the request of Chris Parnham
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Ah Ok :oops: well I do hope that bygones can be bygones and all that and that everyone can try to get along, I would request however that any future comments be kept to 'PM's please. I have nothing but respect for the both of you so I would hope that what's in the past can stay there!
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Having recently bought a car from Chris P, I would humbly suggest that rather than 'profiteering' he was much more interested in ensuring the car went to a new enthusiastic steward. He could have sold his car on the open market for more money but, selflessly, gave all DOC members the first chance to buy it privately. I am so very grateful.

However, my question involves the euro-spec rear lights of the RHDs in the pictures above. Some appear to have the reverse lights at 12 0'clock while others are at 6 o'clock. What was their orginal orientation?
Spencer

Vin 522 RHD "Flashy"
Thanks for your kind comments Spencer, greatly appreciated I can assure you.

Regarding the 'truck' lights. The photo below shows the "factory" one on the left and a Wooler-Hodec one on the right.

Forget the registration numbers…that was just the Del-boy in me!
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Hi Chris (Club Sec),

I wouldn't normally respond to the vitriol as expressed by the Club Historian in an earlier posting in response to my simple question, but I feel that readers on this Forum should be made aware that there are a number of errors and omissions in his narrative which if not challenged would leave people with the impression that they are factually correct.
However I respect your call for differences of opinion to be moderated, so I will only make one point.
Chris P wrote;
Quote:
I thought that Halloween was last month? This makes me sound like the wicked witch of the east. Smile

Robert
Hi Chris W,

I too will respect your wishes to discontinue this type of thread. I will not comment on any posts made by Robert and would appreciate it if he does the same to me.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian