Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Big balls or small balls?
I'll measure my old dmch sender, I know there was a change between the V1 and V2 senders, not sure if the dimensions were changed or if it was just the addition of more read switches inside to make it more 'accurate'.
VIN# 04708, Grey interior, 5 speed, October 1981
DOC 649
ex DOC 562
Well there's 2 domed screws on the bottom adding about 2-3 mm no doubt.
A another suggestion was to remove them but that would result in the gauge being less accurate and moving about a lot when the car is in motion!,
Same problems with the delorean.com sender here. The cap popped off when driving and then I had alarming fuel leaks when refilling. Pulled the spare wheel out and and was happy to see that the sender 'just' needed reseating. Could I get it back on? No chance, same as you with the crossed threads. I ordered a new seal from Ed and it went straight back on no problems. Took it for a full refil and watched it like a hawk during refuel. All well so job done I thought. Roll on a couple of months and the new seal has turned white, it has expanded loads and now I can't seat the sender again. Only spotted this in last few days whilst sorting out power to the pump.

I'm sick of working at the tank, and possible fuel leaks scare the crap out of me, so I've sacked the whole lot off and should receive the new combo in the next day or two. That should sort it once and for all.
In an ideal world,yes....

In a delorean world no.... Nothing is "once and for all"

Imo the seals are too fat, and don't allow you to screw the cap down enough to bite onto all of the threads. Seal supplied is 3mm, it should be softer material or 1mm thinner...

I considered this all in one unit, but the majority of people who have them, only a minority were happy...

In fact, the same issue with the sender (too deep for the hole) could prove the same with that large combination unit. If that pops out of the hole, there would be a bigger leak than from the sender hole!

Anyway, awfully sorry but we've hijacked this thread fellas... We should go back to talking balls :-)
Yuus....balls.... Delay with replies as just had a few days in Venice...wow...amazing place. Anyway, now checked the passenger door, and same type of strut as the drivers door. Not sure that the struts from the louvre have been mixed up, I doubt the door would open on the smaller struts. But....the "old" strut and "new" strut have the same part number. Will have a better look over the weekend.
Steve - Bognor Regis
#16583 Black Auto.  Ex Saudi & Sweden
1985 Silver Spirit 
1989 Jaguar XJS 
1978 Piper Warrior (AKA flying money pit)
The part numbers are the same because the struts are the same.

Someone has unscrewed the wide OEM type sockets and replaced them with the narrow type. If they fitted, that means that the corresponding balls have been changed out (most likely) or were smaller from the factory (not impossible)

Some cars have had problems with the mounting bracket getting pulled out of the fibreglass, and there are various remedies for this.

Post a photo of one of the mounting points and hopefullly all will become clear

(You should be able to use the new struts by simply exchanging the sockets.)
Dermot
ex-Dunmurryite
vin 2743
I feel so inadequate…..my balls are too small! Having had a good investigation over the weekend, it looks like either the factory fitted small balls or (more likely) when the struts were replaced in 2012 they were changed then. What I cant figure out is why as it seems a lot of unnecessary work to do this? Any thoughts? In the meantime I have big boy balls on order! Rather have it set up as it was designed rather than modified. But on the plus side, the repainted louvre is looking nice.....
Steve - Bognor Regis
1985 Silver Spirit 
1989 Jaguar XJS 
All a bit odd, just don't give yourself a complex over it! some of us have big balls some don't..... read into it what you want! :wink: Shock Big Grin
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Yes, don't worry, as long as you have balls of steel, you will be OK
Dermot
ex-Dunmurryite
vin 2743
..... Tongue Tongue
Steve - Bognor Regis
1985 Silver Spirit 
1989 Jaguar XJS 
I have fitted big boys balls and struts fit a treat now.
Steve - Bognor Regis
1985 Silver Spirit 
1989 Jaguar XJS