Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How many Deloreans in the UK?
Just out of interest, anyone know?
Is there away of finding out, (DVLA?) how many are actually on the road?
In my opinion.... Too many!

250-300 at an estimate..

Getting more all the time, but it has to dry up eventually. Why would anyone in the states want to sell either? Unless it's a lemon of course...

Only kidding ;-)
There's not as many as that.

It's closer to 150 privately owned and about 25 in museums scattered around the country.
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
Rissy Wrote:There's not as many as that.

It's closer to 150 privately owned and about 25 in museums scattered around the country.

I'd like to think so Chris, but the figure of 200 has been floating around since 2005...

I like your thinking though buddy.
TheOriginalMrP Wrote:Getting more all the time, but it has to dry up eventually. Why would anyone in the states want to sell either? Unless it's a lemon of course...

Do they come in any other flavour? :lol:
Must be more than that, there is over 1000 members on here alone.
I'm sure there is away of checking with DVLA about actual numbers on the road. Don't know how though. :?
The figures were chased up by the club and reluctantly released to us by the DVLA (basically to shut us up) back in 2011.

The figures then were 25 in museums and 100-110 privately owned (give or take due to some being SORN'D and some being taxed.

There was a speculation that some were not on the radar on top of that.

Of course, since then, a couple more have been "discovered" and a rough guesstimation of approx another 10-15 since then have been brought over to the UK from abroad.
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
Currently the supply/demand curve for cars in the UK is biased more towards sellers than the US, thus a price difference big enough to make it worth the hassle of importing. If cars keep coming over eventually the selling price will fall until importing is no longer attractive, but it's hard to say when that will be. If the fraction of the population in the UK that would like to own a DMC-12 is similar to the faction in the US, then the theoretical demand might be for a full 20% of the available stock. Of course, there is demand from plenty of other countries as well...
Maybe our Historian can chime in with a more accurate number.

It's for this reason we should all compile a UK VIN list.

So easy to do, just put your full name, location, year and VIN number and post.... Then new additions can copy and paste. The last post will always have the most up to date list.

Just like this....

NAME ~ LOCATION ~ YEAR ~ VIN(LAST 5 DIGITS).

BENJAMIN MATTHEWS - USK, SOUTH WALES - 1983 - 16327
These are the 'official' figures as off end 2013:
UK car parc at year end 2013
DELOREAN 109
UK car SORN at year end 2013
DELOREAN 48
Personally I don't put to much stance behind these figures (I know of at least 10 not registered) but I would suggest 200 would not be far out, probably a fair few more now with a lot coming in to the UK this year alone.
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
109 on road
48 Sorn
10 Unregistered
25 in museums and private collections
10-15 imported since December 2013

= 202-207...

Are we including Ireland here?

Incidentally Karl, don't take any notice of the forum member list...

Most are dreamers, tranks, lobos and zipheads... And not even from Hilldale!
Okay, we're getting somewhere. Big Grin
Out of that circa 205, how many are club/forum members then?
Do we have an idea of how many BTTF cars there are?
My guestimate on the number of cars in the UK is between 230-300. I know its a wide estimate but I suspect the unknown ones are nearer 50. Quite a few are not sorn as they dropped off the DVLA's radar years ago.

DeLoreans seem quite different to most classic cars, lots of folk are content to just own one and keep it locked away unused. IMO.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Chris P Wrote:My guestimate on the number of cars in the UK is between 230-300. I know its a wide estimate but I suspect the unknown ones are nearer 50. Quite a few are not sorn as they dropped off the DVLA's radar years ago.

And that's where I got my figures from...

There's a big jump from 215 to 300 cars though...
Quote:Out of that circa 205, how many are club/forum members then?
Do we have an idea of how many BTTF cars there are?
Most UK owners are club members, not all are but the majority are even if they wont publicly admit it :wink: We have a lot of members from overseas as well as they like to receive the club magazine. We have around 240 paid up UK members that receive the club magazine.
Forum members are about 1100 from around the world, we clear out any one who has not looked at/used the forum for 4+ years otherwise it would be over 2000 by now.
BTTF cars about 7 or 8 I think
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Chris Williams Wrote:but the majority are even if they wont publicly admit it :wink:

Wasn't there a DOC members list in the magazine once in a while? Or was it abolished?
Then there's no denying it!

It kinda grates a bit that they may seem ashamed to admit it, yet they don't mind reaping the benefits of the club.