Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deposit paid on Vin..... 005127.
88mph Wrote:Any thoughts on replacement front tyres?
Fronts you can take your pick, it's the rears that you have limited choice.

I've put a set of these on the car I am working on: http://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyres/c ... 86v-281662
VIN# 04708, Grey interior, 5 speed, October 1981
DOC 649
ex DOC 562
You can source those for the rears too if you look around, though you have to drop down to 225 instead. I'm debating buying a set at the moment, but not sure how far my budget will stretch Smile

In regards to your front shocks, the Eibachs I took off my car did indeed have cupped washers as well.
VIN 4494, Grey interior, 5 speed, October 1981
DOC 757
jwrayth Wrote:....though you have to drop down to 225 instead.
You can, but, would you wear a pair of shoes that is a size too small?

Stick with the Pirelli P600's for the rear or the General Grabbers if your budget won't stretch to the Pirelli's.
VIN# 04708, Grey interior, 5 speed, October 1981
DOC 649
ex DOC 562
Finding tires sizes for the front or the rear has never really been a problem. The problem is finding matching front and rear tires. Cooper Cobras were the last tires that I purchased for my car in correct factory sizes but I had to search a lot to find them. I'm pretty sure the fronts came off eBay and the rears from Tire Rack. It's possible that you may still locate some old sets but they are no longer made so they will have older manufacture dates and you will no doubt have to sorce the fronts from a different place then the rears. Even then, I had to get white letter rears which I just mounted inside out. Now front and rears match both thread and sidewall.

The simpiler alternative as mentioned is to drop to a 225 in the rear which opens up tons of matching tire possibilities. It's only a 10mm width drop and about 5mm in sidewall thickness. Actually the smaller size may look better in today's trends.

I have never been a Pirelli fan, lots of road noise. I had a set of Michelin Pilots at first that were great, too bad they stopped those in OE sizes. The Cobras are good, for what I do with them anyway which is just cruise. I think the main thing to look for in a tire for this car is not supercar performance grip. Not many of us are pushing the limits with our cars anymore, so performance takes a back seat to ride comfort, noise, and for you guys wet weather performance may factor in too.
Letter from DVLA.... Big Grin
Letter said, registration refused!..... Sad

Their reason, I haven't sent them the NOVA form. (words to that effect)
I have sent them the NOVA letter from HMRC that says, Thankyou for notifying us, following our investigations, no further tax is payable. (words to that effect)

Am I doing something wrong, missing something, or are the DVLA just being plonkers & their usual inefficient self?

:?
Quote:Their reason, I haven't sent them the NOVA form. (words to that effect)
Was it the original and not a copy? I know of at least two others who had real problems getting cars registered last year as well, took a good few stiff letters from the club to sort them out! However seems in this case like poor communication.
chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
If you can, go to a DVLA office and do it in person. I had some initial trouble registering 4494 and got it all sorted when I went along in person with all the paperwork.
DOC 757
All local DVLA offices are now closed. I did it personally back in 2002 but now I think you have little choice but to do it by post/online.
Dan
Member 101
VIN# 4566
Former Vins# 5641 (Maddie) and 5284 (Hana)

Bugger me, I had no idea they closed them in 2013.
DOC 757
Quote:Bugger me, I had no idea they closed them in 2013
Pass on the first bit, but yes I think thats the problem, faceless people in a large building rather than helpful people over a counter in front of you.
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Phoned & sent it off again today.
Turns out, that was a standard refusal letter DVLA send and the real problem was HMRC had entered the VIN number incorrectly. A zero missing.
Should be fast tracked this time. We live in hope!
YeeeeeHaaaaa!

V5 in the post this morning.

RKU
158X

Lives! Tongue
Great news!
Dan
Member 101
VIN# 4566
Former Vins# 5641 (Maddie) and 5284 (Hana)

Number plates ordered. Big Grin
Great stuff!