Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VIN 16583
I did wonder why DMC designed such a wacky, convoluted arrangement as a speedo drive...!
Steve - Bognor Regis
#16583 Black Auto.  Ex Saudi & Sweden
1985 Silver Spirit 
1989 Jaguar XJS 
1978 Piper Warrior (AKA flying money pit)
I've just replaced another two pieces of mine......... It lasted a good 10 miles.
I wish I'd just bought a complete single cable when I first got the car.
I think thats the route I'll take with a single cable. A 3 piece effort seems to be designed to fail...!
Steve - Bognor Regis
1985 Silver Spirit 
1989 Jaguar XJS 
Delores spending the winter as an exhibit at the Oriel Science Story of Time exhibition in Swansea.  The chap who cut the ribbon on the car to open the exhibition is none other than George Abbey of NASA fame!

Attached Files Image(s)

Steve - Bognor Regis
1985 Silver Spirit 
1989 Jaguar XJS 
nice one, car is looking good too!
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Hi Steve, Good to see you were able to help with this exhibit. Also great to see another DeLorean (although temporarily) in Wales  Big Grin
My car 16723 is 60 miles away from Swansea and Ben Matthews car 16327 is about 60 miles in the opposite direction... Maybe a meet up is possible when you pick her up.
I'm also hoping to go see the exhibit soon, as it looks interesting.

Cheers,
Stu
DOC 116
VIN 6237
Hi Stu
The exhibition has been extended to March - but a meet to get the three cars together would be a great idea. If you get to the exhibition (which in itself is very interesting) then give Delores a hug!
Cheers
Steve
Steve - Bognor Regis
1985 Silver Spirit 
1989 Jaguar XJS 
Will do steve, but I'm sure the security guard will have something to say if I get THAT close...  Blush
Let's hope the car will inspire future owners to live the dream. It's in a prominent position in the City centre, even for passers by to see.
DOC 116
VIN 6237
In yet another amusing twist, in the picture above from the South Wales Times shows the Pro Vice Chancellor of Swansea Uni who was a barrister. He once represented the company that made the DeLorean seats in some legal case against DMC in the fall out after they went bust.  Small world.....
Steve - Bognor Regis
1985 Silver Spirit 
1989 Jaguar XJS 
Well Steve, you made my day today!

Went into Swansea to finish some Christmas shopping with my daughter and I couldn't believe it when I saw a DeLorean through a shop window!!!
So I had to pay your lovely D a visit.

I'm only 10 minutes away from this..... so I may just have to keep an eye on her for you.

What a treat:

[Image: B5E32EBB-36CF-4B87-9D53-0966C3BFC55E.jpg]
[Image: E016BE6A-97C8-4AA9-8475-CFB279FF8F65_1.jpg]
[Image: 90E26C86-D16C-4EF9-9DC5-62D622EAA53E.jpg]
[Image: 140A5DD7-911D-4201-BD75-AB2ACC568531_1.jpg]
DOC #230

VIN 11477 Jan '82
2010 Range Rover V8
2013 Mini Cooper S Works

Tristan J Carroll
Swansea, South Wales
Hi Tristan! Delores will be there now until March as the exhibition's been extended. Glad you liked it and thanks for uploading the pics!
Steve - Bognor Regis
1985 Silver Spirit 
1989 Jaguar XJS 
Just thought I'd post a quick update.  Delores now back from Swansea and taking a few weeks workshop time to tackle a few items on the list. 
Front Springs:  Got a new set of lowered springs (ie the right height) and fitted fairly easily.  I found that with as much spring compression (with the right kit - dont mess with springs boys and girls...) as possible I still could not get the blighters off the bottom arm.  So, it was easier to remove the arm and drop the spring out, simples.  After I figured this out in half a day on the passenger side the drivers side was a lot easier.  Obviously while the springs were off I replaced the old Girling shocks with some Spax.  Nice and yellow...although you'll only see them if you have the wheels off!  Look a few pics of the arms while they were off.  Did consider stripping them down and do the usual powder coating jobby but they are in pretty good condition and I need Delores back on the road for a photoshoot in a couple of weeks...so maybe another time.
[b]Nipples!:[/b]  Never knew these existing on the front bushes before.  Seemed OK but got the old grease gun out for a top up just in case
Speedo Drive:  As you have seen from the previous posts I got a re-manufactured drive off Ebay, and while I had the front in bits I fitted the new drive, and so far...its good.  There is a tiny bit more play when its fitted into the bolt than the old one but other than that everything fitted and the speedo now reads. I'll post again if it fails!  But I also found why mine failed.  The little worm drive must have been a bit sticky for a while as a previous owner decided a bit of glue on the plastic cap will fix it!  Obviously it didn't and the cable running through the hub sheared.  See piccy.
Brakes:  The nearside caliper was sticky so replaced both front calipers and pads.  Discs were good and other than adjusting (again) the rear XJS type calipers for the handbrake to work the rears are good too.
Seats:  Found another posting and met Matt over in Hampshire who had a spare set of seats in beautiful condition.  Swapped over -see the pic of how nice they are -  and you'll now find a set of seats on Ebay !

Attached Files Image(s)

Steve - Bognor Regis
1985 Silver Spirit 
1989 Jaguar XJS 
Quote:I got a re-manufactured drive off Ebay
Ohhh, is that the one that advertises from India? Be interested how you find this, they look very much like OE. The one I have from SpecialT reads wrong, either fast or slow (cant remember now).
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
(21 Jul 2017, 20:02)Chris Williams Wrote:
Ohhh, is that the one that advertises from India? Be interested how you find this, they look very much like OE. The one I have from SpecialT reads wrong, either fast or slow (cant remember now).
Chris

Hi Chris

SO far...works well.  I tested the speed against GPS and its  within 5mph.  I'm taking Delores on a 500 mile round trip to Swansea in a couple of weeks so that should be a good test.  Will keep you posted
Steve - Bognor Regis
1985 Silver Spirit 
1989 Jaguar XJS 
(01 Aug 2017, 11:45)dclsteve Wrote:
(21 Jul 2017, 20:02)Chris Williams Wrote:
Chris

Hi Chris

SO far...works well.  I tested the speed against GPS and its  within 5mph.  I'm taking Delores on a 500 mile round trip to Swansea in a couple of weeks so that should be a good test.  Will keep you posted
Survived a 700km round trip without (anything) breaking. Comparing GPS speed to dash, it reads about 8% high at 70mph. Slower speeds get closer to GPS, at around 30 its spot on.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Steve - Bognor Regis
1985 Silver Spirit 
1989 Jaguar XJS