Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
To Garage or not To Garage
lukebrynycz Wrote:To answer the question in the simplest way, garage :wink:

I wouldn't risk a Delorean outside all the time. From my experience with cars and vandalism/theft, the 'better' the area, the more it happens. Thieves don't go robbing their own filthsvilles.

I'd attest to that from my experience, and hearing from others, mostly.

My car lives in my parents garage in Edinburgh. I've never seen any bother with it there, but they do live in a good area. I still wouldn't, like my parents, like to see the car left parked outside all the time in their driveway, never mind out in the street (although for the most part I think it would be fine - I still don't like to put temptation in people's way. After all, even nice areas get visited by people through their jobs etc, who may not themselves come from a very nice area. In fact, it has been reported to my parents from neighbours that on more than one occasion when I've visited, and had the car parked both in the street, and the driveway, that random van driving strangers have gone out of their way to photograph the car in these locations (although nothing has ever come of it....yet)).

When I bring my car to my place (which is not the best of areas) I have no choice but to have it outside since I do not have a garage there. (Hence keeping the car at my parents over 300 miles away!)
But....despite no garage, I've never had any bother. All my neighbours know about it (it's not something you can ever hope to keep a secret. It just sticks out like a sore thumb). Maybe it's the extra precautions I take. Ie CCTV. High gate and fencing around the car? (I'd never leave it parked out on the street where I live. Once again, just to limit attention and remove wherever possible, temptation)

With the fast rising values these cars are demanding, I have to say that now, more than ever, is a time to be extra cautious. Luckily, these cars don't disappear very readily, or for very long. Sore thumb characteristic again.

Still best not to have anything happen in the first place though. Far too stressful.
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
No substitute for a garage really. I'm actually building a new shed right now so I can clear the junk (from my 4x4 rebuild project) out of my garage, so the DMC-12 can go in. I'm also fitting more secure doors. Even for a council garage you can usually put better locks on, plus battery isolator and possibly even wheel clamps on the car itself.
Ours tucked away from the weather. Noticed an increase in traffic up our dead-end street since the DMC arrived...

[Image: 10675805_10152351593111184_4390035898403...e=551EFC31]
Med Venlig Hilsen
Interesting thread.
I'd like to know if anyone has actually had a Delorean stolen.
I'd suggest the D world is too small & too difficult to sell a complete D. The only real viable option would be to part it out to an already established D contact. (Very risky to advertise parts to the general public). I'd imagine general vandalism from vile creatures would be your real risk, not theft.
Although I'd hate to store a car 300 miles from home, think I'd rather take the risk & make sure you have a good agreed value on it.
In my case, the delorean lived its first week here, parked at the side of the road with no covers. It was fine, but nothing can beat a garage at home.
Covers, as well as sweating/rubbing/blowing off, can also attract attention. With a D's profiles it makes people queries as to what's underneath. Its a tricky one.
Quote:I'd like to know if anyone has actually had a Delorean stolen.
Only once, last year infact but was recovered very, very quickly.
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
queries? I think that's meant to be curious!