Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Number Plate Format
Were all entitled to our opinions. Lets agree to differ.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Hi Chrispy,

That document about the rear lights and surrounds is fascinating. Is the first page available to view anywhere?
1982 DeLorean VIN 12173 (a.k.a VIN 601)
1989 Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
Here you go Phil. I think thats what you are after.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Brilliant, thanks very much Chris.

Darren's comments make an interesting point about how we choose to restore our cars and raises the question of whether sometimes an owner should "do right" by the car even if that doesn't match their personal preferences or tastes.

There was an interesting article in Motor Sport magazine some years ago about the restoration of an ex-BRP racing Ferrari 250GTO where the brief had been to restore the car to its original condition rather than 'as new' condition. Consequently, it ended up with one black windscreen wiper and one silver because that's how it raced in period.

I assume as far as the AXI cars are concerned, the Rubbolite rear lights and Bill Towns panel were fitted by factory employees while the cars were still at the factory. I assume also that the cars were intended to be presented this way when they were shown at the Birmingham Motor Show in October 1982. So using Darren's line of argument the Rubbolite rear lights and Bill Towns panel would be considered the "correct" setup for AXI 1698 in this instance because that's how the factory set the car up in period.

On the other hand, the Wooler-Hodec cars were sold at auction with federal spec lights and as we know, in some cases the Rubbolite rear lights and panel were fitted by a third party post-auction. Rear licence plate bezels were only ever fitted to the cars once they arrived in the USA so if you were to restore a Wooler-Hodec car to be as it was on the day it was auctioned (i.e. how it looked in period), this is what you'd end up with:

[Image: wooler-hodec-style-rear.jpg]

And if you want to actually drive the car, you'll be needing a number plate sir:

[Image: wooler-hodec-style-rear-with-plate.jpg]

Personally I don't mind the Rubbolites and I think they look equally as good as the oh-so-similar effort from Lamborghini:

[Image: 1985-lamborghini-countach-lp5000-s-quattrovalvole-5.jpg]

[Image: POKGu2R.jpg]
1982 DeLorean VIN 12173 (a.k.a VIN 601)
1989 Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
Hi Phil (and Darren) ,

I know exactly where you are coming from and agree that no 'permanent' changes should be made to these special cars. As club historian its particularly difficult for me. I think everything is now sufficiently well documented to enable any future owners to turn back the clock within 30 minutes if they wanted to. All using the original DeLorean electrical plugs. ( again unique on these 3 cars)…..no scotch locks here!!

Can you image what the reaction to an American 'concourse' judge would be if I turned up in AXI with its Rubber lights on? !! Anyway that won't happen- during my years at Derby Plating I had enough to do with 'Concourse' people to last me a lifetime. ( they can be very Anal )

I have got a spare ( slightly damaged) rear bumper and when I get a minute, will mount the William Towns rear light set up in it and hang it on my garage wall. If I get time, I might even do it before the NEC , so people can judge for them selves. Don't forget, this was not a styling issue, just a way to comply with the ( then) British legislation .

As a matter of interest Phil, these light surrounds, on these three cars are mounted completely differently to the rest of the RHD's much more professionally made and fitted with no visible screws or fixings.

I can only repeat, I like to drive this car , its the only one I have and think it looks much better now with the Federal rear light set up….and as Darren pointed out….it is my car.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Hi Phil,

I guess this answers one of your questions. I can't make my mind up it its AXI 1698 of 1699, but it doesn't really Matter. The other one of the three, AXI 1697 was definitely sold ( via Gerry Castle and Roger Jarman) straight to the Patrick collection, where it remained for many years.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Phil Peters Wrote:[Image: POKGu2R.jpg]

I remember taking this photo - it was circa 2005. That is a troublingly long time ago :/
Another thing Phil, I have seen documents that indicate the Rubber Lights lights were supplied to Wooler-Hodec and most RHD cars for them to fit before they went back to the Factory..before they were sold!

So you will have re-fit yours now!!

Keep it Factory..
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Looks like 1698 to me, for what it's worth. Fantastic article Chris Smile

So, were the lights just being replaced because they didn't meet Eurpoean type approval (i.e. they had been submitted for TA and had been rejected), or had they just not been submitted for TA at all, and it was felt to be too time cumbersome to get approval at the time.?
Dermot
ex-Dunmurryite
vin 2743
Hi Dermot, no they didn't have time to get approval so they looked around for something that had already been approved. A bit like JZ with the PRV unit.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
I like where this thread has gone. Very interesting article Chris, Looks like Mr Kavindele became Vice President of Zambia !... I wonder if he still has the car?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enoch_Kavindele

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_N2lhnBGCE[/youtube]
DOC 116
VIN 6237
Top photo your first one there Mr Peters - with a super-rare Allegro Equipe in the background!!
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
Sorry excuse my 'newbie' ignorance. But did that 1982 news report say those cars weren't allowed on UK roads. Why is that?
Enoch is my favorite name for a politician Big Grin
Dermot
ex-Dunmurryite
vin 2743
They were not type approved for the UK, designed for the USA.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian