Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Number Plate Format
Apologies for the delayed reply Chris. I'll do one long reply to your various posts:

Chris P Wrote:Can you image what the reaction to an American 'concourse' judge would be if I turned up in AXI with its Rubber lights on? !!

I discussed this with James Espey several years ago and we agreed that it would be impossible for any of the right-hand drive cars to compete successfully in concours. You don't get very far through the concours handbook before realising that these cars just simply don't conform to what the handbook states is correct due to the fact that they had such a convoluted build process. Your car for example would lose points by having what would be deemed an incorrect flat hood on an October 1981 car while mine would lose points all over the shop by being a VIN 6XX car in many respects although it is officially vinned as a 1982 car.

The concours handbook makes no provision for cars that were taken off the assembly line for any period of time and completed at a later date. Effectively what it says on the VIN plate is the standard to which the car is judged against so the only way to compete would be to totally strip and rebuild the car using correct parts for the year (and even month) of build. But of course you lose all the history of the car in doing so. On that basis it could be argued that the DeLorean concours they have in the USA is a bit of a flawed process but I suppose every game has to have its rules.

Chris P Wrote:I have got a spare ( slightly damaged) rear bumper and when I get a minute, will mount the William Towns rear light set up in it and hang it on my garage wall. If I get time, I might even do it before the NEC

You should definitely do it Chris, I think it would be a nice feature on the club stand.

Chris P Wrote:I can only repeat, I like to drive this car , its the only one I have and think it looks much better now with the Federal rear light set up….and as Darren pointed out….it is my car.

Absolutely Chris, it's yours and you should enjoy it however you like. Nobody's telling you otherwise...well, nobody except Darren! Big Grin

Chris P Wrote:I guess this answers one of your questions. I can't make my mind up it its AXI 1698 of 1699, but it doesn't really Matter.

This is a really interesting article and conclusive proof (if any were needed) that AXI 1698 was sold with Rubbolites fitted, as it left the factory.

Chris P Wrote:Another thing Phil, I have seen documents that indicate the Rubber Lights lights were supplied to Wooler-Hodec and most RHD cars for them to fit before they went back to the Factory..before they were sold!

That sounds really interesting, you'll have to show me that document at some point.

Chris P Wrote:So you will have re-fit yours now!!

Well, not quite. If the Rubbolites were supposed to be fitted to the Wooler-Hodec cars before being sold it appears that it didn't end up happening in many cases (if any) as I can think of 5 cars off the top of my head that were auctioned with federal spec lights.

I remember chatting with my car's original owner back in August 2002. He recalled that he'd had the car sent away and "spec'ed" (in his words) after he bought it so that he could drive it in the UK. You'll remember that the car's history file contains paperwork from Gerry Castle showing that the Rubbolites were fitted post-auction.

So yes, I will be keeping it factory but in my car's case that happens to mean federal lights. Incidentally, if it had been the other way round I would have no hesitation in re-fitting the Rubbolites. They are currently wrapped in bubble wrap and carefully stored along with the Britax seat belts and other Gerry Castle stuff.

Just going back to that document about the tail lights for the UK cars, it's interesting to note that they were looking at off the shelf solutions from BL et al. in January '82 before the receivers were even called in.
1982 DeLorean VIN 12173 (a.k.a VIN 601)
1989 Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
Hi Phil,
As Chris said "we'll agree to disagree".

I'm not forcing anyone to do anything, as Chris has pointed out I did say ultimately it's his car to do as he will.

I'm just saddened to see the lights as "wall art" or in your case "wrapped in bubble wrap", when I'd much prefer to see them on a car as part of an amazing story and historical record.

That's all.
VIN 4532

DOC-574
How is it that SD1 lights weren't considered? The early DMC prototypes had them (as Lotus made good use of them) and I've seen a car in Australia that had them too. Too expensive per unit or were BL not playing ball?
Darren C Wrote:I'm not forcing anyone to do anything

I know Darren, I was only messing :wink:
1982 DeLorean VIN 12173 (a.k.a VIN 601)
1989 Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
At the risk of 'FLAMING' the Australian car has recently changed hands, and is being 'done up' very nicely……the Rover lights seem to survive for the moment no one seems to know how they ended up on it many years ago. Probably more Oz legislation, which seems even tougher than ours. The light surrounds look very William Towns so perhaps they UK fitment!
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Do we know how come this car has SD1 lights?
Dermot
ex-Dunmurryite
vin 2743
I don't, but great number plate!! :lol:
But them tailpipes?

Where did they surface from?
Rich Hanlon Wrote:Top photo your first one there Mr Peters - with a super-rare Allegro Equipe in the background!!

knew that wouldnt pass you by Rich!!! Mind you, I spotted the Mk1 Cavalier Wink
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie