Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice on buying a car in the US please.
Advice needed please ! I've just test driven Vin 812 out in Long Island New York. The bodywork seems very good. Slightly scruffy inside but no major issues. It drove ok but would gently stall when I declutched coming to a halt . It started up again no problem each time and would keep running fine if I kept giving it some gas. From the CARFAX report I can see that it failed an emissions test in 2010 and has done only 10 miles since. It's on sale for $29,900. Anybody know if thats anywhere near the right money? If it needed a new engine after importing to the UK does anyone have any idea how much that would cost ? Many thanks
That's quite steep for a car with issues. You could buy a car already in the UK for that kind of money and save on all the shipping + other costs. Without seeing the car my initial reaction is that's far too steep a price.
VIN 4494, Grey interior, 5 speed, October 1981
DOC 757
The seller is probably putting on a premium because its an early vin number 812 is about the 300th car…but IMO ( as I said yesterday) never pay a premium just because of the vin. I would not pay that for it….....definitely not. I'd want a pristine one for that money.

Ex owner of 510, 551 etc etc. and just my opinion……with winter coming up, prices usually fall slightly……...
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
I'm sure a new engine would not be required, probably just something in the fuel system. But it does seem a lot of money for a DeLorean, I'm sure you can get a very good one for that money in the US
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
You can buy a very good car in tip top condition from dmc Midwest for not a lot more
Iam very happy with mine
Is this the OZZY brach on DeLorean mid west? Big Grin
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Thanks for all the advice guys. It's clearly over the top on price. I will try a cheeky offer and see what happens .....
Interesting! I have vin814! Did it have textured pontoons? :lol:

A