Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help with torsion bar adjustment
Hi all,

After finally fitted Darren C's awesome new stainless steel reinforcement brackets to my doors they have been amazingly better, especially the drivers side. The brackets had seriously bent out of shape at some point, probably due to that dodgy batch of gas struts, and have never raised particularly well.
Now they are great. Smooth as silk, but just a bit too quick.

Originally, last year, I changed the gas struts and the doors still seemed rubbish. After a shout out Rich H came over to mine and helped me out putting the torque up a spline on both sides, which helped loads. However, now after fixing the brackets the doors go up to quickly and bounce.

So, to avoid any future damage, and make them easier to close, would anyone help me put them back down to the correct torque. I would do it myself, but it was definitely a daunting task for two people last time, and I don't have the correct tools either.

Happy to travel to you. Based in Leicester, but willing to travel. Always nice to have a reason to take the car out.

Mark
Mark Sutton

Importing VIN #10719.

http://www.delorean-dream.blogspot.co.uk
this is the way I did mine....

doors up ...keep them prop'd up with a piece of timber ..something strong. remove the covering panel.

ok heres the important part...You must have a strong pull bar for the allen key end as the immense tension will otherwise cause it to slip an go through the Tbar panel. Mark up the slipes then undo the 2 bolts 13mm. then use the strong/ pull bar to torsion or untorsion. Careful the load/pressure can catch you off guard.
If you don't have the tools '''don't''' tackle it. Get a mechanic to do it...but make him aware of the huge tension before he undoes the bolts. I think there is youtube of this.

hope this helps
personally, I wouldn't attempt unless with the help of someone who had done it before. Ive seen a rear window smashed when it was being done at the NEC. Any unintended damage is best avoided!!

Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian