Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just put a deposit down on a DeLorean
Marty, what you are describing is a classic symptom of low coolant and/or air in the system.
Certinally worth checking for air, has the car got a air bleeder kit installed? Pipe running from the water pump to the expansion bottle?
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
88mph Wrote:Cars looking good Marty.
Any problems from the old bill regarding the number plates?
Where did you get them from?
Nothing from the plod so far, went past one today and no problems - all depends on the plod I suppose. I got them from a guy in Bristol who makes graphics.
I shall try bleeding it in the morning, there is no extra pipe going to the bottle. How do I add that feature?

Many thanks
marty Wrote:I shall try bleeding it in the morning, there is no extra pipe going to the bottle. How do I add that feature?

Many thanks
Good luck with the bleed, hopefully that will sort it for you.

Re the self bleed kit: http://www.delorean-parts.com/Merchant2 ... =K1012DP-A
VIN# 04708, Grey interior, 5 speed, October 1981
DOC 649
ex DOC 562
Many of the vendors will sell a kit.

Basically you replace the little brass bleed nipple on the top of the water pump with a fitting suitable to take a thin rubber type pipe…run that to the header tank ( usually tied to the rear bulkhead) and using a a tee-piece, tap it into the the thin water pipe that goes into the top of the header tank. ( not the very top one which is the overflow one!) This creates a small extra flow of water into the top of the header tank and seems to remove any airlock problems.

Before this fix was common, I have heard of folk jacking up the back of the car a foot or two, in their efforts to get a decent flow of water around the system. I'm sure some have a nice diagram or picture of it all. ( can't get at my car on the lift)……found one!….this was Frenchy's brand new Wooler-Hodec engine being fitted……after the previous was wrecked by a Turbo-Charger!!
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Sorry Mike….our posts crossed. The one you mention seems a bit over complicated…..but i'm no expert! My DIY version costs about a tenna.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Mines not got that kit fitted, seems straight forward, can anyone give some idea of t'piece/brass nipple sizes required?
Cheers
If others interested, There is a very clear picture of this bleeding pipe on the latest dutch red D on the 'Deloreans on ebay' thread.
88mph Wrote:Mines not got that kit fitted, seems straight forward, can anyone give some idea of t'piece/brass nipple sizes required?
Cheers
I have the DPNW kit which I have not yet fitted to my car, the included hoses are 8mm I/D

T Piece - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8mm-5-16-BRAS ... 3cc49024a0

Barb/nipple for thermostat housing, I think the size you need is 1/8" BSPT x 5/16" I/D Hose (8mm) but I would wait for someone else to confirm on that. - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Barbed-Thread ... 4ad7d20a11
VIN# 04708, Grey interior, 5 speed, October 1981
DOC 649
ex DOC 562
Here's what I did:
I attached a long rubber hose to the brass nipple on the top of the water pump and undid the thread a few turns.
I then held the tube 2 meters above the car and topped up the water bottle.
I ran the car and let it warm up until around half way between 100 and 220 and the rubber pipe eventually started to have a continuous stream of coolant flowing from it, it took nearly 10 minutes though. I then went for a drive and the temperature seems to sit below the 220 mark constantly now. So that sounds like it did the trick.

There is no pressure/movement in the water system until the temperature gets between 100 and 220 so it looks like the thermostat is working.
There is no oil in the coolant and the oil is nice golden colour, so everything looks like it's running well.

I will still fit the T piece though as that should stop it happening again.
Can I presume that I replace the original brass nipple with a straight through nipple that will allow coolant through to the water bottle constantly (and the air)? I.e. Can I just put the original nipple in my lathe and whack a hole though the middle of it?
Quote:I will still fit the T piece though as that should stop it happening again.
Can I presume that I replace the original brass nipple with a straight through nipple that will allow coolant through to the water bottle constantly (and the air)? I.e. Can I just put the original nipple in my lathe and whack a hole though the middle of it?
Most cars have them fitted as they seem to work very well for us, cant see no reason why you cant drill the middle out of the bleed nipple so long as it's strong enough to screw back in. Though if memory is correct would it not be a bit short?
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584