Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another DeLorean for auction, 16th October
Blooming Heck…….what a mess the Chassis is. I wouldn't have paid 26K for that. I just hope it was a speculator that bought it and not an enthusiast.

Your well out of that JB. Yes it could be repaired properly and i'm sure you would have a good car at the end of it. But IMO it needs a full body off / Chassis rebuild which is a lot of work. I would have only paid 13k for that max. Sorry if the new owner is out there, but thats my honest opinion.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
That was my opinion too Chris, but I'm glad to hear it from the mouth of someone who knows what they're talking about!

This is why I'm curious as to whether the new owner actually looked at it in the flesh.
I don't think he / she could have looked at it.

That is without doubt the worst frame repair I have ever seen.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Thank God for that.
I really wanted to attend, but due to personal issues, couldn't make it. So glad it went for way more than my budget & looked so nasty underneath.
To my untrained DMC eye, but my expert old VW eye, yep a horrible patch-up followed by a lot of chassis paint/gunk. Very common on lots of old air-cooled VeeDubs.
Keep on truckin'! Big Grin
Quote:Blooming Heck…….what a mess the Chassis is. I wouldn't have paid 26K for that. I just hope it was a speculator that bought it and not an enthusiast.
Don't think you should be so harsh Chris, might be one of our club members that bought it. Yes it's not the best looking chassis and certinally top $ for the car with a chassis like that. Would still love to see the invoice for the reputed £7000 frame off restoration the seller claimed it had done.
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
I hear what you are saying Chris and I've already apologised in advance…but if someone has paid that sort of money for a car like that, then they didn't do enough research. If you don't do even a basic bit of research before parting with your 'hard-earned' …you could end up with a bad result.

As you say…..£7,000 for that frame repair? I don't think so.

We have several members who have done excellent frame repairs and made them as good as new….it took a lot of time and but very little actual money.

I think there is a lesson here.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Just to clarify on this, the hammer price that the buyer paid was £23k plus 12% (10% buyers premium plus VAT) totalling £25760.
He wasn't in attendance when I was there during the auction as the buyer was a telephone bidder .
Unless he viewed the car the day before he would have bought it 'blind' so to speak
I didn't see the documentation for the car myself so I can't comment on the £7000 chassis repair.
What I do know was that there was an awful lot of interest in the car and the bidding was quicker and more intense on this than any of the other cars beforehand.
I believe that this is an indication of where prices are and where they are going in the future, anyone thinking about buying a DeLorean should do so sooner rather than later in my opinion.

Cheers

Mike
Mike Knowlton DOC #761
DeLorean DMC-12, VIN#4208,
Black Interior, Automatic. Grooved bonnet, Gasflap
Quote:He wasn't in attendance when I was there during the auction as the buyer was a telephone bidder .
Unless he viewed the car the day before he would have bought it 'blind' so to speak
I didn't see the documentation for the car myself so I can't comment on the £7000 chassis repair.
I'm sure the buyer will be more than happy with the car, and as you rightly say with the way prices are going then I'm sure it will be a good investment. The £7k chassis refurb was in the auctioneers blurb on the website, wonder who did it and what justified the cost? But there may have been a lot more done than just chassis welding I suppose.
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Yes you are probably right Chris…in 5 years time we will probably look back and think….. I wish we could buy one now for that price!

Look whats happened to E Types and Aston Martins in the last few years!

In any case compared to a 'modern car'….A friend of mine bought a brand new Jag XF 2 weeks ago for over £50K. I looked on eBay and found one less than 12 months old, low mileage for £23K……further looking found one 18 months old with 40K miles for £13k! All looked the same..same colour and spec. Dropping £37k in 18 months is a serious amount of dosh!

Any DeLorean looks like a copper bottomed investment compared to that!
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
At those prices, I think I'll have to go buy one 10 years ago. Anyone help? :lol:
Best advice I can give, is to get your money available and keep in touch with Chris W and (frequently), by phone with Dave Howarth.

Its amazing what turns up from time to time. If fact it was Dave that first pointed me towards my car shortly after I joined the club many years ago.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
There are still bargains out there and the Owners Club of any marque should be the first place any potential owner frequents before making a purchase.

No excuses for overpaying for a lemon theses days with the Internet at hand.

J
www.classicdelorean.com
Colchester - Essex - UK
Hi *JB*,

Nice to see another DeLorean fan in Warwickshire. Where abouts are you based?

Cheers,

Phil
1982 DeLorean VIN 12173 (a.k.a VIN 601)
1989 Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
Hey Phil,

Not far from you! I live in Kenilworth.

JB
*JB* Wrote:Not far from you!

As it happens I'm picking up the keys to our new house today...Kenilworth here we come!
1982 DeLorean VIN 12173 (a.k.a VIN 601)
1989 Alpine GTA V6 Turbo