Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clutch, fork and screws
My mechanic has just called (he’s just removed the gearbox) to trace the issues I have had with the gear change.

Hydraulics are okay (clutch master and slave were changed only three years ago)

Issue is that I need:-
1) New clutch
2) Clutch fork
3) 6x Set screws(allen keys type) to hold the clutch to the flywheel

He has left the workshop and not counted the number of splines on the clutch. I know the clutch in there isn't a standard Renault clutch. I think it is a turbo clutch. I'm confused that the vendors sites mentioned 12 and 21 spline clutches. Why would the clutch/splines vary?

Is it possible to go back to a stock clutch assuming I can go back to a stock clutch after having a Renault Turbo clutch (I don't believe any modifications had been made to make it fit)?

Looking at the following:-
http://www.delorean.eu/catalog/index.php?cPath=19_27_82

Suspect that what I need is:-
1) My mechanic hasn’t counted the splines but the replacement clutch needs the same number of splines as the one it replaces. If so how come the vendors offer 12 and 21 spline clutches? I thought the gearboxes were the same throughout?
2) 109614 or 103134 (what’s the difference between these part numbers for the clutch release fork?)
3) 102064 (SCREW M9) 7x

Do the 12 or 21 splines on the input shaft vary i.e. how come there is more than one type of input shaft out there?

Any advice/guidance would be greatly appreciated as I’m just over a week away before the car is due for a wedding booking.
Regards,

Chris Hawes
DOC 138
Ex owner of VIN 5255 Grey, 5-speed
Quote:1) My mechanic hasn’t counted the splines but the replacement clutch needs the same number of splines as the one it replaces. If so how come the vendors offer 12 and 21 spline clutches? I thought the gearboxes were the same throughout?
As I understand it only the very early cars had 12(10) splines. The other bits I cant comment on other than perhaps get both forks and return the one that's not right? Ed's usually OK with this.
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
As we have listing vin/ engine/ gear box numbers ( doing it now as a matter of fact!) its obvious there was no stock rotation…they used the nearest engines and gear boxes to hand. Add to that they recycled the engines and gear boxes from about 60 scrapped cars……not as a pair either! And you have odd numbers popping up all over the place! Its all in the book!

Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
10 spline clutches are very unusual on DeLoreans, early cars only though there was indeed some crossover.

The vast vast vast majority of DeLoreans carry the standard 21 spline input shaft. Seeing as the 10 spline was phased out by Renault long before the turbo engine hit the streets with its associated clutch, you can deduce that you probably have the 21 spline type Tongue

Anyway, a new standard NA clutch, fork and later style clutch bolts are on their way from France.
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
http://www.delorean.co.uk
Thanks for the help Martin. I'd posted this on the forum before I heard from you.

Great to hear that 21 splines is the norm and that largely speaking that there aren't any other spline types to complicate things.
Regards,

Chris Hawes
DOC 138
Ex owner of VIN 5255 Grey, 5-speed
Can anyone tell me a good place to source a new Clutch Kit? Mines started slipping even though its has a very very low milage (about 4k!). I'm not sure why, any ideas?

I cant seem to see any up to date park number or suppliers online.

Thanks, Martin
dogs_bolx Wrote:Can anyone tell me a good place to source a new Clutch Kit? Mines started slipping even though its has a very very low milage (about 4k!). I'm not sure why, any ideas?

I cant seem to see any up to date park number or suppliers online.

Thanks, Martin
Would need to know the VIN (last 5 digits) of your car to be able to recommend the correct part numbers. The very early cars had a 12 spline clutch plate, the later cars had a 21 spline clutch plate.
VIN# 04708, Grey interior, 5 speed, October 1981
DOC 649
ex DOC 562
...mine was 10 spline. Got one from dave, but getting hard to find now.

A
Dave scours the country looking for them…I believe that DMCH actually uses Dave H to supply them on their behalf! ( but I could be wrong)

Talk to Dave …not internet….phone…. 01942 882331 after tea is usually best.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
10 spline clutch should still be available from Renault, though it has been a few years since I ordered one.

Shouldn't be too difficult to source a 21 spline input shaft and should be a straight swap.
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
http://www.delorean.co.uk
Hi guys thanks for your help, its a very late one so will likey be a 21 spline. Any ideas of why it could be slipping?

Just to let you know Chris P, BAK5T has been off the road for the last couple of years due to the family and crazy new business. She's still in tip top condition and run regulary on private land. This year i intend to refurbish the disc/calipers, clutch and hand brake cable. I look forward to getting her out again this summer!

BTW does any one know if you can only tax a month at a time now the new tax system is in place?

All the best, Martin
dogs_bolx Wrote:BTW does any one know if you can only tax a month at a time now the new tax system is in place?
Yes you can, you will just need to remember to SORN it at the end of the month if you were not planning on using it during the following month.
VIN# 04708, Grey interior, 5 speed, October 1981
DOC 649
ex DOC 562
Thats great news, As its not always driven for just 6 or 12 months! Thats got to be good news for us guys!
Quote: Any ideas of why it could be slipping?

Could be a leaky input shaft seal. The 'o' ring goes hard and lets gearbox oil onto the plates which causes them to slip....
Richard H. DOC 365 VIN 1274
http://www.deloreans.co.uk
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.
dogs_bolx Wrote:Thats great news, As its not always driven for just 6 or 12 months! Thats got to be good news for us guys!

Note that if you use the online service there is a 5-working-day delay between transactions. So you'll want to be careful with your timings to avoid rolling over into a new month when attempting to SORN.
VIN 4494, Grey interior, 5 speed, October 1981
DOC 757