Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fuel pump not running, but it works when relay is jumped
Regarding the 'priming / buzzing'……most of my cars have buzzed 'some' of the time on the first turn of the key….if they don't they won't start straight away..so i got into the habit of turning the key a time or two until i heard the buzzing…then they would start instantly.

( doesn't help my hot start problem…. Ive ordered a new pressure regulator which I will be fitting on Friday)

Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Quote:If I try to start the car, the starter just cranks the engine. I know the fuel pump works if I bypass the RMP relay
It runs OK though when you bypass the RPM Relay? Kris's up in Durham was like this when he bought it only found out when it would not start one day. The offers still there if you want to pop down and borrow mine for a few days to try it out.
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Chris Williams Wrote:
Quote:If I try to start the car, the starter just cranks the engine. I know the fuel pump works if I bypass the RMP relay
It runs OK though when you bypass the RPM Relay? Kris's up in Durham was like this when he bought it only found out when it would not start one day. The offers still there if you want to pop down and borrow mine for a few days to try it out.
Chris

I'll try getting the car to start this evening with the relay bypassed. If it does start, then yes I'll pop over and borrow yours to try, maybe at the weekend if that's ok with you?

Thanks a lot,

Simon
Simon Brewer,
DOC Member #517
VIN #4748
I would check that you are getting a decent spark. When I had similar symptoms to you, I wasn't, and the culprit was the low tension connections to the coil. They come through those coloured multi-pin connectors uner the coil cover. Inside each of those connectors are pins which fit into hollow sockets, and they were found to be thoroughly gummed up, net result being as you describe. Try cleaning them out - this worked very successfully for me after much searching and has been 100% ever since. We found that the obscure tiny round-ended Dremel attachments that you get fitted inside the hollow sockets perfectly and cleaned them up to a bright finish.

From memory the critical pin is somewhere in a white multi-connector but it can't do any harm to clean them all. You should be able to trace the appropriate wire from the LT side of the coil.

I would like to bet that's a strong contender.
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
PS - I get the fuel pump priming thing on start-up occasionally (say 1 time in 20) but I believe it is generally a red herring.

You can test fuel system pressure is good by trying to press down the main round flap under the air cleaner. Good fuel pressure means it's held up reasonably firmly...
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
Quote:I'll try getting the car to start this evening with the relay bypassed. If it does start, then yes I'll pop over and borrow yours to try, maybe at the weekend if that's ok with you?
No prob, Sunday AM is good for me.
Chris
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
It's working!!!! And the problem was.....the connector to the ballast resistor in the engine bay was loose! :oops: Should have checked that sooner! Rather than clipping into place its just sliding around on the contact blade. I'm going to get a new connector as I think it will work it's way loose again, but everything is running again nicely and I got a good 10 mile test drive to Ely and back just now Smile. At least I have now got a spare rpm relay and a new battery out of this!

Thanks for all the help,

Simon
Simon Brewer,
DOC Member #517
VIN #4748
That's great news even more satisfying when you sort it yourself Big Grin
Chris
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
My hot start problems are now sorted too.

I fitted a new pressure regulator and there did seem to be an improvement…but it still wasn't right, so I fitted a new fuel pump ( I had in stock) and that did it!

While we were in the fuel tank we took the non-working fuel gauge sender out……and just cleaned it all up…..and it now works fine.

. A good days work.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Hi Simon

Nice to know there is another D owner nearby to me (I'm in Cambridge)
I have just experienced a similar problem to you, in fact I believe you may have seen me broken down in Tesco car park the other day! Here's my thread: http://deloreans.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.p...018#p48018

I am going try jumping the relay to see if I can get the pump working and also look for loose connections.
Ultimately she should be booked into see Chris N this week so I just need to get her down there somehow, hopefully under her own steam!
Vin: 4468
DOC No: 758
www.theportlandarms.co.uk
"My hot start problems are now sorted too" ……….. I was a bit premature with my previous comments!

Just to re-cap my problem:-

It seemed to be a hot start issue, So we changed the fuel accumulator …..that didn't do it, so we swapped the fuel pump…it appeared a little better but was not right. We then did what we perhaps ought to have done in the first place …changed the fuel filter, which I recon, after looking at it closely, was probably original.

Seems fine now……fingers crossed! :|
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Good to hear Chris.
I had issues with LJH's fuel system a few years ago. Upon investigation a previous owner had removed the fuel pick up
filter :roll: (and as it turned out the bottom of the baffle). The fuel pump had sucked up a tiny bit of muck that was sitting in the bottom spigot and intermittently blocking the fuel supply. Typically it was the last area I checked!

Nick H
DOC 650
Jaguar X-Type
Range Rover Sport SDV6 "Rufus" (Mrs H's motor)
DeLorean DMC 12 Vin#2862

My other hobby...
http://www.lccuk.org.uk/
Hi Nick,

I had a similar problem on my boat many years ago. When the sea was rough…..when you least needed any engine trouble…the blooming thing stopped! Half an hour later it would be ok….during which I had hung upside down over a hot, smelly diesel engine feeling sick as I changed and bled the fuel filters.

The new owner phoned me up several years later telling me he had solved the problem …..a small piece of rubber permanently trapped, but floating up and down in the tank pick up!!!

BTW (whist I was faffing with DeLores, I poked a s stainless spring down the fuel pick up line, trying to cover all bases this time.)
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian