Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Opinions on a potential import
Yeah, I was just talking with Kieran and have been following the posts but have only just been verified.

I was also interested in both cars but I think I'm better off digging a little deeper and not having to rely on by knowledge behind the spanner. It's very tempting when a £8k D turns up and the ego goes "you can do it, how hard can it be" lol

Anyway. Hi guys, I'm Al
Alex

"That punk Calvin Klein"
Hey Al! Good to see you got authorised Smile

BCC tell me the 14k car is pending sale with another client. Not sure if that's you or not? I'm awaiting a video of the 19k car running.
No not me mate!!

Good luck to the guy who took a leap with that one.

Al
Alex

"That punk Calvin Klein"
Both gone now, just shows you snooze you lose when it comes to Ds at the moment. But they still hadn't sent me the video of the engine running so I wasn't prepared to offer.

Agree re: the 14k car, it's gonna be a lot of work

Thanks to everyone for their advice, I'm sure there'll be another car that I'll be looking for your advice on in a few weeks Wink
Sorry to hear that Sad As I think I wrote at the start, demand is far outstripping supply especially with project cars, there just so few and far between especially in the UK. Keep an eye on BH cars though they do have a good through-put of cars.
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Thanks Chris, no worries, I'm not too concerned I want it to be right and do my research. If that means some sell before I put in an offer, so be it Smile Looking forward to chatting on Sunday!
And don't forget, it's not necessarily just the UK and Europe buying them... Them cars could remain in the states for all we know...

As soon as they become thin on the ground over there, we won't get a look in then!
I agree Ben,

I can see a time in the not too distant future when ANY Delorean will be very desirable……look at what has happened to DB5's, DB6's, XK120's, Bubble cars, even early Land Rovers etc etc.

I don't like to set a panic going, but there are only about 6000 of these cars left in the world. And what with TV shows…new BOOK's !! etc. Interest can only grow.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Thanks guys!! Nobody panic then, ay? Wink

*rushes to wonga.com* Big Grin

On a serious note, I think Chris is right. I first started looking a good few years ago and what with life, tumble down houses and recessions it has been hard to justify a 30 year old car that isn't "practical". In that time prices do seem to steadily risen, particularly in the last two years.

Ah well, I'm not gonna let it panic me too much, would like to find something before the end of 2014 and I'll wait for the right specimen Smile
Pretty much my sentiments exactly Kieran.

Has anybody ever dealt with Gulf Coast Motorworks? I see them on eBay and they seem to advertise that they have 3 prices for the car in various states of repair...

http://www.gulfcoastmotorworks.com/delorean-for-sale
Alex

"That punk Calvin Klein"
Yeah they have a lot of cars it would seem but prices seem high for the states, perhaps that's me kidding myself Wink
Bargains are to be had from the Beverly hills place This car was purchased at the end of last year by a club member: http://www.beverlyhillscarclub.com/1981 ... c-2374.htm yes OK it is painted red and I have advised him to leave it like that for the time being, BUT it cost less than 7k delivered/imported into the UK. They do describe there cars correctly it seems.
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Agree they were totally open with me about the pros and cons of the cars I was discussing with them. Have no experience of dealing with Gulf Coast Motorworks though I'm afraid, Al.
Chris P Wrote:I don't like to set a panic going, but there are only about 6000 of these cars left in the world. And what with TV shows…new BOOK's !! etc. Interest can only grow.

I've gotta be honest here. I don't think 6000 remain any more.

These are the lines that were blurted to me when I joined the DOC in 2005, and if 9200 odd were built, and 3200 disappeared between 1982 to 2005, then how come 'about' 6000 still remain another 9 years later?

Even the current vin list is years out of date, nobody actually knows the true number it seems.

A member of my family scrapped a motorcycle years ago with the dvla but he still has the bike.

Records are not accurate.

Delorean tragedies happen in the states with the biggest population of cars, yet to the yanks it may be worth nothing... That's why all these companies are buying them and selling them over here. Open your eyes people!

I think a more sensible figure of surviving deloreans is around the 4750-5500 mark.
The guy that bought those three "cars" in Texas is flipping one already

http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/4534063084.html
Dermot
ex-Dunmurryite
vin 2743