Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Opinions on a potential import
My mistake, it is '82... going VIN blind looking at that list.

So for those interested VIN #16523 appears to be a '82 grey auto that has spent some of its' life in New Jersey and is now in CA under the care of BCC
Nothing odd about that mate...

My car is August 1982 VIN 16327, yet it's an 83' model on a Y plate with 83' specs, flat hood no gasflap and a badge, different exhaust system, no digital clock, and other minor differences.

Need not fear!
Good to know, thanks MrP Smile
Don't worry about the vin to much, hoods seem to be swapped around depending on owners preference. None of the missing bits are that expensive, door struts are just things that you change every few years anyway. If the frames OK I don't think it's that bad a deal, S/Steel and interior look ok as best one can see from the pictures. With the demand for cars outstripping supply and advertising it on the forum I suspect either way it will be heading over to these shores anyway!
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Thanks Chris, think you're right. Here's the photo of the underside of the front of the car that I requested from BCC. I'll see what kinda deal I can do, I suppose. Any thoughts on the frame guys?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hksgt57u440158h/059.JPG
In all honesty, I've seen a lot worse.

There are some ripe areas and photos never tell the whole story.

If you intend having the body off in the future, then this car is probably calling out to you to buy it
It could be dogged up and used until a later date, then could be repaired properly.

However, if you want a car you can use straight away and don't want any chassis work in the next 5 years, this probably isn't the one.

It's entirely up to you really.... My frame is spotless on the front as it's all been restored before I got the car, however the rear cradle base had a plate put on it again before my ownership, and this isn't so pretty. I will say though, it's not got any worse and a few hours with a few power tools and some new paint and it would be good for say another ten years. It's just not on my priority list as I'm hoping to do a body off restoration sometime in the next humpteen years!

Ben
Yeah, I this is the kinda shape I think I have to expect a 30 year old D to be in if I wanna pay ~£10k for it. I'm gonna pursue this one, see a video of it running, make an offer and see where it goes. Thanks!
I see that they have posted a few more underside shots

http://www.beverlyhillscarclub.com/1982 ... c-3020.htm

Obviously not pristine and i wouldn't be too surprised if there is a little rot hiding in there. But nothing truely frightening. The left rear tyre looks like it has been sitting in mud for a while which is a little concerning. But, as you say, this is what 10 grand will buy you at the moment.
Dermot
ex-Dunmurryite
vin 2743
They have just listed another one, definitely in the "ropey" classification

http://www.beverlyhillscarclub.com/1982 ... c-3085.htm
Dermot
ex-Dunmurryite
vin 2743
At that price I'm actually a little more tempted by that one in a way. What do you think of the underside? It's clearly a non-starter but I've email for more details on condition and history.
If it were me, I would go for the first one. To get the second one to the condition of the (known running) first would far outweigh the difference in price.
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Chris Williams Wrote:If it were me, I would go for the first one. To get the second one to the condition of the (known running) first would far outweigh the difference in price.
Chris
Thanks for the advice, you can tell I'm new to this Smile
Clearly a lot of work to do on the interior.

The sun can do a lot of damage, the frame appears reasonable, but i'd like some close up pictures. A few dints and knocks, but nothing Chris N couldn't sort out. Personally I wouldn't get too excited about the non-running engine, they can usually be sorted.

Not too bad in my opinion. Its a pity there are so few 'Fixeruppers' in the UK to choose from.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
It's a question of whether I have the time for the 14k car really, I wouldn't want it to sit for years untouched because the jobs too big for me.
If you are really handy with the spanners and know these cars little and have a good secure place to work in…..and £4-5-6k to play with and a year or so of spare time to devote to it, it would be OK………...……Or you could try and get another job and earn some more money and buy a better one!

The real key is to have money available when one suddenly pops up…and they do occasionally.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian