Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some Free Used Parts, Just Cover Postage or Collect.....
Used, but in useable condition.....

Fuel Tank Question Mark Pipe. Unkinked/Unperished
Fuel tank return hose ( the one that clips to return to the baffle in tank)
Metal fuel pipe connector, runs from return line through the boot and onto the tank return hose.
Both the baffle and pickup spring clips.
Large jubilee clip off fuel pump boot cap.
Original nut, spring washer and repair washer that holds the assembly in place.
Other used pipe clips and hardware.
I'm sure there's more... Anything I won't use, and I have a drawer full of odds and ends, I will include.

I'd like this to all go to one place to refurbish a rotten fuel tank.
Technically these bits didn't need replacing, I just had a clogged pickup and wanted to replace everything while I was there.

Postage to the UK should be no more than a fiver, so the first interested party gets them after a £5 credit to my PayPal account. I'm happy to refund any difference.
I'm not restoring a car (to that degree) or *need* any of the bits you've mentioned, but if you don't have a taker for the question mark pipe, then I'll have that off you. Mine collapses when it gets too hot and would like one available out of the car to have a play with for supporting method experiments and replacement of mine once happy. Means I won't be in a rush if using my own.

Anyway, only if you don't get a better, more needy request...
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
Rissy Wrote:Mine collapses when it gets too hot and would like one available out of the car to have a play with for supporting method experiments and replacement of mine once happy.
I'm draining my fuel tank this weekend to do exactly that, like you mine also suffers from collapses when it gets too hot (usually if I get caught in stop start traffic for extended periods of time).
VIN# 04708, Grey interior, 5 speed, October 1981
DOC 649
ex DOC 562
My brand new fuel pump runs really loud like it's straining all the time - i think I probably need to replace the question mark pipe. Does it have to a specially shaped bit of fuel pipe or would a straight bit of the right gauge hose do?
VIN #5380 - Oct '81
(LHD, Grey Interior, Manual, No petrol flap, Creased bonnet)
DOC #760
jamespi Wrote:My brand new fuel pump runs really loud like it's straining all the time - i think I probably need to replace the question mark pipe. Does it have to a specially shaped bit of fuel pipe or would a straight bit of the right gauge hose do?
Measure the current running through fuse #7, it could be an electrical issue. I am troubleshooting the very same thing on my car, pump runs quiet when cold but once it has been running a while it get's really loud (my car had new pump, pickup pipe, filter screen, boot, and boot cover when I got it over here 4 years ago) - measuring the current on mine I was recording 9.16 amps with the cpr connected, and 8.53 amps with the cpr disconnected.

Remove the fuel tank inspection cover and feel the wires going to the pump, and also feel the wires feeding the inertia switch, are they warm/hot?
DOC 649
ex DOC 562
Could this not still be the pick up pipe collapsing still or filter clogged? Higher amp draw means it's having to work harder to do the same job I would have thought.
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Chris Williams Wrote:Could this not still be the pick up pipe collapsing still or filter clogged? Higher amp draw means it's having to work harder to do the same job I would have thought.
Chris
Possibly, certainly that's the feedback I've had from others as well. I will be draining the tank to take a look (just waiting on a syphon arriving) and will also use the opportunity to make up a spring to put down the pickup pipe to prevent it collapsing.

The tank was also brand new from Chris N 4 years ago, I would think it should still be clean in there.
DOC 649
ex DOC 562
Be interesting to see if the spring fixes it. Cant remember who it was, Ben I think was having trouble with dirt getting into the tank, turned out after my suggestion it was the metal filler neck crumbling away below the flappy bit on the neck!
Chris
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Thanks Chris, I will be sure to check that out.
DOC 649
ex DOC 562
I seem to recall that when I got Flopsy, Martin G installed what we nicknamed 'springzilla' in the pipe
to stop it collapsing when hot.

Might have some photos somewhere of when me, Phill and Rich did the same job on either Sorbet or Axi....
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
this is Rich and Phill doing 'springzilla' on Sorbet back in 2007. Car has been fine ever
since this was done Smile

NOTE: PHOTOS IN REVERSE ORDER, AS THATS THE WAY THE PHOTO UPLOADER ON HERE
DOES IT :roll:
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Mine doesn't get loud when it gets hot, it's just loud full stop. I might be imagining it but it seemed to start happening after i had the fuel accumulator replaced. I also have to start the engine 3 times before it will not stall out like it's fuel starved. Thought it was probably the WUR but maybe the pump isnt delivering enough pressure inthe first place.
VIN #5380 - Oct '81
(LHD, Grey Interior, Manual, No petrol flap, Creased bonnet)
DOC #760
Nice pictures Claire, that's exactly what I am looking to do on mine. Smile

My syphon finally arrived this morning so this evening I will be draining the tank to take a look inside and also fish out the pickup pipe to fit the spring.

jamespi Wrote:Mine doesn't get loud when it gets hot, it's just loud full stop. I might be imagining it but it seemed to start happening after i had the fuel accumulator replaced. I also have to start the engine 3 times before it will not stall out like it's fuel starved. Thought it was probably the WUR but maybe the pump isnt delivering enough pressure inthe first place.
When you replaced the pump, did you replace the pickup pipe at the same time / is the pickup pipe known to be reasonably new/good condition? If it's loud from initial startup then maybe the pickup pipe has become constricted.

Would seem unlikely to be caused by the accumulator, but it may be worth double checking the hoses around the accumulator to make sure they are not kinked.

Do you have a multimeter? Measure the current running through fuse #7 with and without the cpr(wur) connected and see how much difference that makes to the reading. My cpr was drawing 0.5 - 0.75 of an amp which I believe is about normal.
DOC 649
ex DOC 562
It seems to be the thing at the moment, was just chatting to another club member down on the south coast who had to be recovered yesterday (good old AA Big Grin ) anyway turns out his breakdown was also caused by a pick up hose collapsing in the tank during warm weather yesterday. This was a new DMCH pipe supplied and fitted less than 3 yrs ago. So it seems someone who can come up with a redesigned-reinforced petrol proof pipe is on to a sales winner, either that or for someone to come up with the perfect spring to fit!
Chris
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Hi there. My motor is undergoing a full restoration. I need to get the body off and sort the chassis but one day I'll need all of the above so anything going ill snap up!
Message me if there's anything you'd like to discuss, this could help me out loads!
Tony.