Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some Free Used Parts, Just Cover Postage or Collect.....
Pm Sent!
Even brand new pickup hoses collapse when they get really hot....

jamespi Wrote:Mine doesn't get loud when it gets hot, it's just loud full stop.

Check -closely- for a split where the pickup hose joins the fuel pump. They are notorious for splitting around the hose clamp. The pumps get noisy if the inlet or the outlet are blocked or they are pumping air.
Richard H. DOC 365 VIN 1274
http://www.deloreans.co.uk
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.
I took the pump out today and had a look at the hose. The hose was twisted and kinked because the mechanic that replaced the pump obviously didnt realise that he needed to be careful about that. The hose did have a crack about halfway along, but wasn't split right through. I didn't have any wire to make a coil to put inside the question mark hose to reinforce it, but I did have a length of 5/18" fuel hose that when vaselined up fit exactly inside the question mark hose. So I pushed brand new fuel hose down the inside of the question mark hose then tested the fuel pressure at the top of the distributor. The pump was running quietly, wasn't making intermittent gulping noises and delivered 70 PSI of fuel to the distributor.

Then I realised when I tried to put the access hatch back over the fuel pump, it clashed with the top of the pump. Given that I hadn't loosened the jubilee clip holding the pump in it's rubber boot, I guessed that the horrible grinding noise that the pump had been making previously, which echoed all through the cabin, was because the hatch was pressed against the banjo bolt at the top of the pump!
VIN #5380 - Oct '81
(LHD, Grey Interior, Manual, No petrol flap, Creased bonnet)
DOC #760
jamespi Wrote:Then I realised when I tried to put the access hatch back over the fuel pump, it clashed with the top of the pump. Given that I hadn't loosened the jubilee clip holding the pump in it's rubber boot, I guessed that the horrible grinding noise that the pump had been making previously, which echoed all through the cabin, was because the hatch was pressed against the banjo bolt at the top of the pump!

Hi James

Seems you are missing the fuel pump boot cap.... With this in place it would have not rubbed on the banjo bolt.
But I personally think even without the cap, your banjo shouldn't have sat that high anyway, making me think you have the whole pump situated too high in the boot, which could also have caused your collapsed question mark hose initially.

I'm sure others can confirm this....

Ben