Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just wanted to say hi. I've been a long time admirer and hope one day to own a delorean. Have been saving up for long time but still got a long way to go, getting married and starting a family has kind of delayed things. Only about quarter of the way there as I believe ill need about 20 k to get a good one?
Welcome!

Your figures are accurate at the moment but prices are rising on average between 1-2k every year or so.

It's like buying a property. The sooner you get on the ladder the better!

Good luck

Ben
I got a complete delorean for £4.5k last year, so you could buy one with the cash you have now Smile all depends what condition you want it in.
TheOriginalMrP Wrote:Welcome!

Your figures are accurate at the moment but prices are rising on average between 1-2k every year or so.

It's like buying a property. The sooner you get on the ladder the better!

Good luck

Ben
Couldn't agree more but at the moment haven't got 20k spare, I m pretty sure it's your car that I've seen at Monmouth Abergavenny and pandy shows as I only live just over the border from you.
wouldn't even say no to a project as can do mechanicals and welding. I guess it's a bit of an open ended question but any idea on what a car needing restoration might set me back?
Yes it's a certainty that it was my car at them shows buddy.

Mind you that would have been 2010 ish as I've not been to pandy since, and it is only a small show.

Realistically, a fixer upper like robs car can be bought, for around 5k. But it's a lot of 're and commitment.

If you want a rough daily driver with tax and MOT already in the country, then it's going to be 13k absolute minim. And that will need work!

Good luck with your quest. You are quite welcome to come over any time to look at my car to keep your interest up!

Ben
Yeah i was really lucky with mine, Really for that price it should have been a pile of crap.

It turned out to have a tiny bit of rust at the front of the frame, the car was totally complete, and had a load of new parts, fitted to it before it was laid up in the early 90's.

I could have got it on the road with a tank flush, fuel pump and service, but decided to do a body of restoration.

I recon I will have to spend about £3k on it to get it 100% mint, which includes windscreen, doors fixed (it was a painted car and had damage to both doors), seats retrimmed, plus little bits and bats like gaskets, fuel lines, brake flexis etc,
TheOriginalMrP Wrote:Yes it's a certainty that it was my car at them shows buddy.

Mind you that would have been 2010 ish as I've not been to pandy since, and it is only a small show.

Realistically, a fixer upper like robs car can be bought, for around 5k. But it's a lot of 're and commitment.

If you want a rough daily driver with tax and MOT already in the country, then it's going to be 13k absolute minim. And that will need work!

Good luck with your quest. You are quite welcome to come over any time to look at my car to keep your interest up!

Ben
Thanks for the offer I may well take you up on the offer some day, I was looking out for you in bailey park on Sunday but guess the weather put a lot of cars off. 13k needing work sounds quite tempting I'm on the closing stages of my subaru pickup restoration a the moment so if that can be saved then anything can, after this welding things like chaisis no longer faze me.Wouldn't be totally agaisnt importing one, in a couple of years I would quite like to incorporate a holiday to the states with trying to find something like they did on wheeler dealers. Depends to cash flow really hopefully the wife will be able to go back to work once the nipper is properly in play school next year so things may start to move more quickly with my fund.
RobScott Wrote:Yeah i was really lucky with mine, Really for that price it should have been a pile of crap.

It turned out to have a tiny bit of rust at the front of the frame, the car was totally complete, and had a load of new parts, fitted to it before it was laid up in the early 90's.

I could have got it on the road with a tank flush, fuel pump and service, but decided to do a body of restoration.

I recon I will have to spend about £3k on it to get it 100% mint, which includes windscreen, doors fixed (it was a painted car and had damage to both doors), seats retrimmed, plus little bits and bats like gaskets, fuel lines, brake flexis etc,
Lets hope these figures aren't a one off, everything you list doesn't sound any real big deal, just time consuming.
I know Stain in norway has a few cars for sale in various conditions.

He is a real nice guy, defo worth talking to,

Also importing from the states is real easy indeed, and you get more for your money than anything over here.

The cars are really easy to work on, and the chassis is really simple, so if it needs any welding, just take the body off. Real easy to do. even the engine loom just plugs in to the firewall!

People say that they are crap build quality, so i was expecting it to be like a TVR /Reliant or a little kit-car ish, but the engineering is far better than a TVR.
I only did Bailey park for 2 years.... 2007 and 2010. I'm not a great lover to be honest.

I'm not doing any shows in any of my cars this year as I'm saving for a wedding in a few years, and possibly the option of buying another life long dream car, a Ferrari Testarossa.

Unfortunately my M5 and XR2 are going to have to go to partially fund this venture, possibly the DeLorean too. But if I can save enough by 2020, I will keep the DeLorean for sure.

Good luck with your delorean hunting, and drop me a text (number below) if you want to come and look at the car again!

Ben
Dont sell the DeLorean Ben, you'll regret it!!

Buy a Toyota MR2 Testarossa instead Wink
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
TheOriginalMrP Wrote:I'm not doing any shows in any of my cars this year as I'm saving for a wedding in a few years, and possibly the option of buying another life long dream car, a Ferrari Testarossa.

I actually considered buying a Testarossa instead of starting my DeLorean project. It would have been cheaper to buy, although probably not after a few years of maintenance.
We obviously share the same taste in cars then buddy!
I noticed on the TV yesterday, that the exchange rate between the £ and the $ is the best it has been for many years…..$1.7 to the £. Puts a better light on importing one. Not sure how long it will last….

Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian