Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Early VIN for sale in US
Someone needs to save this car!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Delorean-/13118 ... 1e8b85939c

The seller has had the bright idea of parting out an Early VIN and the rest has been plonked on Ebay.

If I could, I would but surely it is still worth saving... It has clean paperwork apparently.
DOC 116
VIN 6237
"no engine, tranny, panels, doors, or interior" so basically the rolling chassis and the underbody.... that makes me sad.

VIN 712 is on the register as a "company car".... it's not obvious from the description why it's ended up being parted out like this, normally I would have expected major damage to be the cause but there's no mention of that....

Very odd.

JohnC
According to my Vin list it was just a regular early car, finished March 81 and shipped in April 81. I suppose it must have become a "company car"in the USA.

Its a great shame is had been so robbed of bits. Not much left of it now.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
It will be on this shipment.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
It appears in this list on the PJ Grady Site as a Company Lease Car.

http://www.pjgrady.co.uk/GenericContent ... IN570.html

My thoughts were it could be restored with the panels and parts from a salvage car.
Also a prime candidate for a Right Hand Drive, or even a custom engine or some sorts...
DOC 116
VIN 6237
The current owner bought/rescued it with a view to restoring it (as he has done to a couple of cars recently) but decided that he didn't have the time, so he foirst tried to sell it as a going concern, but got no interest, so he started parting it out.
Dermot
ex-Dunmurryite
vin 2743
Dangermouse Wrote:The current owner bought/rescued it with a view to restoring it (as he has done to a couple of cars recently) but decided that he didn't have the time, so he foirst tried to sell it as a going concern, but got no interest, so he started parting it out.

Hey Dermot,
He had people interested. Its a pity but he decided he could make more $ by breaking the car for parts.
good thing about him breaking it, means it releases more parts out into the world to fix other cars... for those people who cant afford to buy brand new parts.

Also, makes the car rarer, which is good for us current owners Smile

You cant keep every car for ever. cars are made as a disposable product. even the delorean which was made to last (which shows in the number of cars still out there).
Chris P Wrote:It will be on this shipment.

Is it possible to have this pictures in higher resolution please?
Yes Domi, once the book is out, there are many other photo's also showing vin numbers.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Thanks for the great news and sharing your pictures Big Grin
Hi All

sorry rob, i disagree with that one.

virtually no Deloreans should be parted out, only if they really are beyond restoration, such as a CAt A or B car over here.

cars are not really a disposable product, certainly not what is regarded as a collectors piece.

Some in the US however think differently, if they can make an extra $500 by breaking up a car they do it. to me that is not a car enthusiast, we are not in it for money, we do it for love of the cars.
how many classic owners in the UK would spend 10K on restoration on a car worth half that when done....any would (i would do!)

such a shame as this car would have been somebody's dream (like me!) i shortly am looking for a rebuild and would take virtually any condition (but may have to stop short of a rolling black body only).

what a waste of a car. the US owner should be ashamed of what he has done. the sort of Clarkson mentallity of destroying others pride and joy

steve
Steve Saunders
Wolverhampton
ex owner vin 1621
doc 370
so basically, your saying, even once the human race has died out, its all OK as long as there are loads of cars preserved. I do love cars, but at then end of the day, they are only cars, they are products made by a company to sell, to make money.

Of course all cars are made disposable, if they wernt, them manufacturers wouldnt be able to sell new models.

If a person wants to part out a car, then its their car to do with it what they want.

You cant keep everything for ever. Its like when people keep their car in a garage and never ever use it.... whats the point? when you die, someone else is going to enjoy it, while your bring eaten by wormies.
Really early vin tho, those cars are a bit different. Seems a shame for such an early car with a 3 figure vin.

Just my opinion
If thats the case, why didnt one of you buy it when it was a complete car?