Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
#2292 up in the air
some pics of #2292 taken today whilst she's at MK Autos's in Langley Mill
having MOT work done, including new ball joints, track rod ends, steering
rack boots, and also some new water hoses.

The oil leak appears to be the dreaded rear main seal, and the back section
of the chassis is becoming like weetabix in places Sad

Ah well, all jobs for when we finally get our garage extended and have a car lift.....
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
You can see why I blow Waxoyl into the cavities ! Are you sure its not the gearbox drive seals Claire? Did one of mine again the other day.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Rear frame crossmember does look unhappy. What are you planning to do to it when you get a lift?

Upper body looking great though.
if the section of the chassis hasnt rotted through, chip off all the flaky epoxy, wire brush as good as you can, and paint it with por15.

Then do the resin coating as i described in another thread,
If you want some of the resin, let me know and in will send you some.

Then like chris has mentioned, pump that fucker full of waxoly.
I usually thin it down a bit more with parafin, put it in a bucket of hot water so its reall runny, then pump it everywhere till it runs out from every hole Smile

Once my chassis it all rolling, it will get the waxoyl treatment Smile

The chassis and running gear look very dry, which is not good for our climate and salty roads , ideally you want to coat everything in oil/waxoyl/duck oil to protect everything from chassis parts to nuts/bolts, alloy casing etc.
Your a man after my own heart Rob.

I often get castigated for my over use of Waxoyl, but I recon it is easier to clean it off ( at some stage in the future if you want to), than to have to repair the ravages of rust.

I have an oil gun and a little portable compressor and I too thin it down a bit (with a de-watering fluid). I can do a whole car in an hour on my lift. Just done my RAV4.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
you can never use too much waxoyl!

Yeah ok it may look messy under your car, but the rust prevention is great.

Even my avensis i bought as a run around till i fix the gearbox on my truck, i got some old engine oil in a parafin gun and sprayed the underside and engine bay. Mr Green

at the moment i am building the delorean chassis and suspension up, plenty of grease on all the bolts and mating surfaces to protect it all. Mr Green
In 1966 when I was working at Spondon Garage, we used an oil gun all the time..but is washed off quick compared to waxoyl.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
yeah oil it ok if you dont mind doing it at regular intervals, ot its a cheap car you dont want to spend any money on. the avensis cost me £275, so cant really justify giving it a good waxoyling.
Would you guys use the clear Waxoyl? Think I would, to make it look neater, black waxoyl especially on a classic car screams hidden repairs... I think the '83 Deloreans that were sitting at the Belfast Docks were all given a coat of the Black stuff. It does the job but I prefer to see a clean / honest underside on these cars. Obviously in the cavities it wouldn't matter...
DOC 116
VIN 6237
Chris P Wrote:I have an oil gun and a little portable compressor and I too thin it down a bit (with a de-watering fluid). I can do a whole car in an hour on my lift. Just done my RAV4.

Sounds like an excellent idea : although the Isuzu guys I talk to prefer Dinitrol to Waxoyl (also comes in black or clear). Is this a service you could offer to other club members in exchange for more bottles of wine? Smile Would be nice to drop by again some time.
I have used Anchorwax in the past, and this is reeaaal good stuff! its transparent too.

Yeah I used origional waxoyl, the yellowy transparent stuff, I have never used the black stuff.

I use a parafin gun with a long nose to get right in all the tight areas, it does need heating and thinning first though.

I do have a garage located in Preston, so can offer the service of treating rust/re epoxying/waxoyling.
well the plan is, long term, to do a frame seperation and attend to the underside of the car
including the front and rear suspension at the same time.

Probably looking at getting everything powdercoated once its been stripped and then had
the rust removed and any welding needed done.

MOT booked for Saturday in Derby, after all the work I've had done, I'll be gutted if she doesnt
pass :|
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie