Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Epoxy Coating and Treating Rust on Chassis
Hi Guys,

Ive been treating rust on my Delorean chassis, and after a little experimenting have come up with a good solution to restoring the origional finish, while protecting from rust.

First of all, you have to wire wheel and chissel all the flaky epoxy.

Second step is to wire wheel, and flap wheel the rust off as best you can.
Best to use a 4inch angle grinder with a cup type whire wheel.

Third, you need to clean off the dust/waxoyl/dirt from the area and surrounding area, best to use acetone for this.

Fourth step is to paint the area with Por15 chassis paint, you can get it in a few colours, I use Grey. Appy 3 coats, nice an thinly, it works best with very thin coats. Allow to dry for at least 12 hours.

Fith step. Resin Coating. I have mixed up a batch of grey resin that gives the factoy finish (alltho the colour is not a perfect match). You add a hardner to it, and can brush paint it on. It leaves a nice smooth thick coat, with a slightly tacky texture when cured. Leave for about 6 hours.

6th and final step, Colour matching. Chris P says that Wilkinsons primer is the closest match he has found. You could allways take a sample of flaked off epoxy to get matched up.
I used Rustolium Grey Primer, its not a good match, but leaves a nice matte finish.

A coating that will treat the rust, protect from stone chips, fuel spillage, and gives back the factory thickness of the origional coating. Mr Green
Quote:Fourth step is to paint the area with Por15 chassis paint,
That's great stuff, until you get it on your hands and find it has stained your skin/drive/hair Etc Etc. Don't ask me how I know :lol:
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
yeah, i did the por15 last weekend, and my fingers are still stained! lol Smile
I use these lethal wire brushes on my angle grinder, much more effective than the drill cup brushes and gets All the rust,crap and epoxy off no problem, bare metal in no time-you can also use it to clean and polish aluminium like engine components etc. 8)
#10556 'Ol Stainless' running surprisingly well,Audi A5 2.0T Quattro smug as usual,Wenault Slaguna stationary for the mo',the R.V.Enterprise clocking the U.K.miles up,new fleet addition-Jessica the Daewoo Matiz,silly but 55mpg....!
yeah i have a few of those, really hurt when they stick in your legs, lol.

The cup type that go on the angle grinder, you can really push them into the metal to get the rust out of the tiny pits, plus you can feather the epoxy with a bit more control Smile

Drill type wire wheels are crap really, the tiny little ones are ok for getting into tight corners, but thats all they are good for.