Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1976 DeLorean Proto 1 for sale.
Following the very sad passing of Cliff Schmucker last year The very first DeLorean is now for sale, Proto 1:
http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?9607- ... n-(PROTO-1)-For-Sale

Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
I wonder if the Ulster Folk and Transport museum are aware? Would be the logical ome for it...
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
has anyone got any restoration pics of this car? I'd like to see how the car is put together.

I am right in thinking it has a fibreglass monocoque, with front and rear subframes bolted on?

Cheers Mr Green
Quote:I wonder if the Ulster Folk and Transport museum are aware? Would be the logical ome for it...
Couldn't agree more but that would be a huge investment for them that may be they cant afford. One day there may be a proper DeLorean museum.
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
I dont think there would be enough interest for a delorean only museum? they only produced one car.
The Titanic was only one ship, yet it has one Smile

Though to do one at that scale would be hard to justify. I think an expanded area at the UFATM would probably be a better fit in the short term.

Proto 1 would be a perfect display but it would take a lottery millionaire DeLorean owner to want to invest in it Wink.

$192,500 is an oddly specifc number.
Dermot
ex-Dunmurryite
vin 2743
Quote:it would take a lottery millionaire DeLorean owner to want to invest in it

That's a shame, I can only think of the one...
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
Who actually made this car? was it all in house by Bill Collins? or Ital Design?
I think it was ital design. Bill Collins and Lotus only got involved when they started down the road to it being a viable production car.
Dermot
ex-Dunmurryite
vin 2743
Rich Hanlon Wrote:I wonder if the Ulster Folk and Transport museum are aware? Would be the logical ome for it...

They cant look after the Delorean they have, never mind the proto.
Vin #4087
It was made by Bill Collins , but changed and tweaked by Lotus. Ital design only made the wooden model that is in the UTFM.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Bill Collins was a proponent of the ERM process by which Proto 1 was made. It's "one of his". I don't believe Proto 1 ever made it across the pond so Lotus probably never went near it. It was built before their involvement too, IIRC
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
http://www.delorean.co.uk
Both Chapman and Mike Kimberly went to the USA and tested proto one and wrote a damming report on it.

This was before the deal was signed. (mind you they did have their own agenda!) Its all fully coved in the book.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
I think Chapman and Kimberly test drove Proto 2?

Proto 1 was made by I think Kar Kraft in Detroit, and Proto 2 was made a year or so after by Design Caucus? Not got my files to hand on that to check, could have the names reversed. Proto 1 was the Citroen engine one that's for sale, Proto 2 was an identical Bill Collins style car, but this one had the PRV-V6 in it. For whatever reason the build on Proto 2 was a bodge job - Collins referred to it as "not a good day" when it was done. That's the one that the Lotus guys are said to have tested and left Collins red-faced when it broke down. The early dealer sales agreement features lots of Proto 1 driving around but the video mentions - and shows - a PRV engine so P1 did the publicity work and P2 was an actual development car from what I can tell. There's a thing I think in Fallon's book where they mention the huge cost of having to make *another* faux-ERM underbody mould to fit the PRV as the previous Citroen one was no use. P1 has wing mirrors, P2 doesn't - with that in mind it's interesting how little P2 shows up anywhere visibly in company archives/photos. As said above, they were fibreglass underbodies with bolted on subframes - they couldn't get ERM to work at that point but were expecting to develop it. I can't quite remember whether DMC were claiming it was an ERM body actually in the car or whether they "planned" to start using it.

Proto 2 was shipped to Lotus with its silver painted interior, where it became known as "Doris 1A". Lotus based the first few development mules off P2/D1A before the redesign/Visioneering thing.

Prior to the Lotus development, there were 3 "cars" - Proto 1, Proto 2 (Doris 1A) and the Guigario epo-wood mockup.

Edit: here you go

[Image: SJZBjHT.jpg]

From L-R - P2/D1A, P1, Wood mockup.
Quite right Matt, just re-read the report, it was proto 2. Sept 78.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian