Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Squeaky Clutch and Gear Level not returning to Center
I've got the DeLorean out for the Easter Weekend, and it's her first real run since the MOT in Feb which passed with no problems. As soon as I took off, I noticed that the clutch is really squeaky/creaking.

With the doors open, not running, you push down the pedal and can hear the creaking coming from the gearbox area quite loudly. No fluids or anything leaking underneath.

I also noticed that when I pop the car into neutral, the selector level doesn't return to centre on it's own. It moves freely into all gears when actuated, but just seems to be quite stiff.

Are either of these tell-tale signs of expensive work coming my way soon?
VIN 4494, Grey interior, 5 speed, October 1981
DOC 757
Clutch creak is quite common and caused by the pivot point of the clutch fork. Do not worry about it.

Sounds like you could use a new crossgate cable. You can see some info about it here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ng6-l2fhPXw
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
http://www.delorean.co.uk
Thanks Martin, that sounds spot on for my issue. I'm not currently having any issue getting in to gear, but I'll take a look under the car at the weekend and see exactly where the failing is.

That video was superb by the way, really useful stuff!
DOC 757
Revisiting this one Big Grin My cross-gate cable has a damaged outer sheath. Looks like it has been rubbing against the frame hole just as it leaves the centre section to the gearbox. Not major for now, but one to keep an eye on. I've fitted a rubber seal on the edge of the hole and repaired the sheath damage temporarily, and will replace the cross-gate cable when I next make a parts order.

Whilst in there I'm replacing all the bushings in the shift linkage due to them mostly being reduced to powder now. I've taken apart and removed the shifter from the car to give it a proper clean, along with cleaning the frame section it sits in. So before I pop it all back together and put it in the car today I was wondering;

Is there a recommended type of grease to use for the shifter? Everyone and their dog has a different recommendation online, so thought I'd check here with people I trust Mr Green
DOC 757
An honour indeed Big Grin !

If it were me I've got some old fashioned traditional Castrol grease which I use on occasions such as these. Copper grease is pretty well handy for most things as the copper spheroids within it work even if the grease carrier material dries up - why it's good for high-temp stuff (not that that matters here), but no reason why not. The white spray-on stuff tends to be good for 'sheltered' areas like inside door mechs and locks snd so on.

Personally I'd slime it all in the Castrol stuff (but I'm prepared for the backlash!!)
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
Backlash commencing... :lol:

I wouldn't put copper grease anywhere near rubber stuff. It slowly destroys rubber and breaks it down faster.

I have silicone grease I use around rubber stuff (medical use silicone grease in fact!)
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
Quote: (medical use silicone grease in fact!)
Wont ask :wink:
Ditto on the above, that's what I used when replacing all those little rubber bushes as well, needed to replace a couple of parts there when I re-commissioned my car.
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
All finished last night Smile I had already used some silicone lubricant on the rubber bushings, so was more interested in the metal/metal lubrication for the shifter mechanism. Thanks for the advice!

Worth the effort, everything feels a lot smoother now! And yes, I did grease it up after the second picture here so don't worry Smile Just the contrast after cleaning isn't as good once you glob grease on it all again Tongue
DOC 757
Fair point, I thought we were on about the bits underneath and not having a manual myself I'd forgotten about it being near rubbber stuff - so wyuou're probably right.

How does that work in the case of CV joints etc though - they're full of oil-based grease aren't they?
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126