Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Questions after fitting SS Exhaust, please advise, thanks!
Dear All,

Finally got my Stainless-Exhaust fitted. Loving it to bits, especially when over 2300rpm!

11 Studs came out fine, one broke, but decided to leave it as is, as that particular flange is held with 3 studs which should be more than enough.

Pic 1 (below)
[Image: 001.jpg]
Pic 2 (below)
[Image: 002.jpg]
Pic 3 (below)
[Image: 003.jpg]
Pic 4 (below)
[Image: 004.jpg]
Pic 5 (below)
[Image: 005.jpg]
Pic 6 (below)
[Image: 006.jpg]
Pic 7 (below)
[Image: 007.jpg]
Pic 8 (below)
[Image: 008.jpg]

Questions:

1. On the alternator side (pic 5), the manifold is now very close to some wiring which used to be far away with the stock exhaust. Can anyone recommend any ways of protecting them from melting? I assume it will be wrapping it with some special type of tapes?

2. When removing the old pipe that goes behind the engine, the hub (pic 6) was removed to allow the pipe to exit. A few drips of grease escaped from the boot, and the six bolts were only screwed in by hand as tight as possible without actually torquing it to a specific torque. Will I need to regrease the boot, and does anyone know the torque spec of those six bolts?

3. When I test drive after the change, I went over a speed hump and I heard a metal cling sound... and found this on the floor (pic 7 and 8.). Can anyone tell me what is this part?? Where did it came out of?? Or is it just something on the floor originally and doesn't belong to the D?

4. Now with the manifold, there is no heat stove. What shall I do with the original pipe that goes from the stove to the intake pipe? Do I just remove it and block the hole on the intake pipe???

Many Thanks for answering my questions!!
Kind Regards,
John [DOC No. 8]

[Image: signature.jpg]
Hi ,
I have fitted a good few of these systems now and the answer in my opinion are as follows

Q 1
A, You have to remove the wiring and re route same away for the exhaust.

Q2
A , If it was only a few drops as you say then the cv joint will be ok and wont require re greasing.
I don't have the torque to hand.

Q3,
A, That is one of you engine cover grill retainers.Look under the engine cover you will see one is missing.

Q4
A, The stove is only for very low temps to stop the throttle icing up so if you only drive in summer you can run your intake pipe direct to the vent in you quarter panel.

I hope this helps
Regards Paul O'Malley
DOC 253 South of Ireland Rep
just like this Smile

[Image: DSC01296640x480.jpg]

look theres my bling header tank again Smile
What he said, what he said Big Grin
Regards Paul O'Malley
DOC 253 South of Ireland Rep
So how are you finding my old Exhaust then Big Grin

If you get it over 5000 RPM it screams....

As for the wires I re-routed mine but I also got some heat shied sleeving and placed all the wires in it. It's good for over 800 Degress and looks nice.

Dan
Not 100% but the part you mention pic 7 & 8 looks like one of the parts that holds the grills in place, in the engine cover. ie the 4 meshed sections
[Image: DeloreanSig.jpg]
That flat round thing is a CD and it goes in your CD player so you can listen to music.............

Only kidding John...... :lol: :lol:

NickT
Thanks for the reply guys!

Got the grill retaining clip back on now. But I broke the original induction pipe while trying to get it off the cold/hot air valve... need to get what Mike has got on his car now.

I have a feeling that the engine bay temperature is lower now due to the fact that the manifolds are now in "open space".

In the near future, I may wrap the manifolds with those race manifold heat insulation tape to keep the heat even further away from the engine. Will report here how well it works :wink:
Kind Regards,
John [DOC No. 8]

NickT Wrote:That flat round thing is a CD and it goes in your CD player so you can listen to music.............

Only kidding John...... :lol: :lol:

NickT

Haha :lol: My intension of taking the pic with the CD in was to show the size... in case there's another part that looks similar in larger scale, perhaps the bumper insert or something?? :lol:

Thanks anyway :wink:
Kind Regards,
John [DOC No. 8]

Anyway guys, here's my solution to the problem... inspired by Mike's idea :wink:

[Image: New_Intake.jpg]

All for GBP 2.50, I think it looks perfect!
Kind Regards,
John [DOC No. 8]

bozzzydmc Wrote:just like this Smile

[Image: DSC01296640x480.jpg]

look theres my bling header tank again Smile

Mike,
Do you remember where you got the air intake pipe from and what parts were required?
Thanks
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
http://dmctalk.com/showthread.php?t=4935&page=3

Its 3" Spectre Air Ducting if you do an ebay or google on that

if you start at page 1 and work you way through the thread

I bought it off Ebay US but the guy isnt trading anymore on there.

It comes with the two rubber boots and the duct as a kit .

These is a link to a shop in that thread

You need to chop a bit off at the duct is too long .

Reccomend it as it does fit very well
Thanks Mike, much appreciated
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584