Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Car Insurance features
Hey everyone

Does this make sence:

If I have fully comp car insurance on a Vauxhall Astra 1.6, with permission from someone else who has fully comp insurance, I can drive their car?
Normally speaking, yes, but you will only be covered TFFT for his car.
[Image: DeloreanSig.jpg]
Ahh right. So say, I have my fully comp and my parents have fully comp on their car, i can drive it with their permission and will be covered? Even though im 18? and their car has a bigger engine?

cheers for this by the way I'm rather illitarate with insurance terms ect.
probably best to check the wording of your policy - I was F/Comp on a car a few years ago and thought that entitled me to drive other cars TPFT - so sometimes I'd borrow my Dad's car if I needed to go to the garden centre or somewhere that meant carrying a larger load then I could fit in my Clio. It was only after I renewed my policy and switched insurers, that I realised I hadnt been covered to drive my dads car (on my policy or his) Shock Thank goodness they were only infrequent trips and I didnt have an accident!

I now make sure, that when I renew my insurance that it does cover driving other cars (they have to be insured already by someone else).

The penalties for driving without insurance are quite hefty these days, including at least 6 penalty points and a large fine.
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
alot of policies only allow this if your over 25 so definatly check your policy, ring them up if your not sure.
DOC 527
Vin #10264
Ahh nooo, see im trying to find a loophole to allow me to drive my D about on the odd occasion. My parents are insured on it fully comp, So I figured if I were to have fully comp on the Astra then In theory I would be able to drive it with their say so. Im sure theres something stopping me though. Deffinatly cant get insured on the D cause of my age but Theres gotta be some way :?
just contact lots of insurance companys asking if you can. altho being a delorean they may not even cover it
DOC 527
Vin #10264
Some insurance companies only cover third party only when driving other cars on owners permission, so you have to read their small print carefully.

Seems like alot of insurance companies won't insure you to drive other cars even under fully comp, as people are insuring 1.1 fiestas as their own car but actually drive around in twin turbo supras, hence the new scheme that has been brought out where you get a big discount when you put another car on your same policy.
Kelvin Tan
dmcscott2002 Wrote:Ahh nooo, see im trying to find a loophole to allow me to drive my D about on the odd occasion. My parents are insured on it fully comp, So I figured if I were to have fully comp on the Astra then In theory I would be able to drive it with their say so. Im sure theres something stopping me though. Deffinatly cant get insured on the D cause of my age but Theres gotta be some way :?

Better if you can get yourself as a named driver on the policy then there will be no come bacl.

The Mrs. and I have our own car insurance but are still named drivers on each others policy as the answers from the insurers on the phone were cagey at best and they wouldn't back up what they said on the phone with a letter.

NickT.
Hi Guys,
Just a word of warning ,
If you are the owner of the vehicle and knowingly put say a parent as the main driver to obtain a lower quote and they are not the owner of the vehicle
This is called insurable interest and the insurance company have the right to cancel the policy or even worse decline a claim and refuse to cover any
damage or theft claim !.

Its one of the policy conditions that they have to be the owner.

In my opinion its just not worth the risk.
Regards Paul O'Malley
DOC 253 South of Ireland Rep
Im gonna look into it further because Ive spoke to a few people and most seem to think It might be fine. My parents are down as the owners because its cheaper that way, but I paid for the whole thing so as far as theyre concerned its mine. Got it on the drive now - how frustraiting!

Off Topic
Had it up on the lifts at the garage today and The undersides immaculate, suprised me alot. One thing though, I tapped the windscreen washer tank and it started leaking! that explains the lack of water when i press the lever for it. Can you buy replacement tanks? how easy is it to take the tank out?

Cheers!
Do you mean you tapped the black 'housing' around the tank, that probably is full of water but your water bottle is inside that Smile
Ahh I see. Is that common? Is that water just collected rainwater or is it coming from the tank?
Great news with that garage, I know the guy who owns it and Ive got the keys to use it any weekend I want, Good deal!

Maybe I should start a new topic with this?
well hopefully its just got the drain holes blocked up on the outer casing.

Un block them and 'carefully' make them a little bigger, fill up your water bottle and then look for leaks that way , if it does leak, its probably at the connection where the screen pump fits into the bottle.

New topic and pics would be good if you are doing it. Helps others search for this easier in the future,
its a good idea to make those drain holes bigger, because they clog up with crap, then eventually the 'box' fills up with water, which submerges and subsquently knackers up your washer pump.

I've been getting through up to 2 pumps a year because of this problem, so this year I'm gonna make bigger holes in Flopsy's casing when we take it all apart to fit yet another new washer pump.
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie