Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I might have only gone and solved the Handbrake issue!
I cant see them on this thread, however if I click on them they show on photobucket.
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
I'm seeing nothing - even if I click on p bucket (I have no paid account with them btw) all I see is this

Attached Files Image(s)

Vin 11789 (probably #50 of the Middle East batch of 50)
Quote:I'm seeing nothing - even if I click on p bucket (I have no paid account with them btw) all I see is this
Odd isn't it, ChrisP can see them, I can see by clicking on the logo (I don't have an account with them) and you cant see them at all? Internet eh.
Chris
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
FWIW, I can see them all the way over here if I click on the logo (as the problem seems to be with 3rd party hosting - i.e. DOC being the 3rd party).

Kevin is in Wales, though, so that may play a part Smile
Dermot
ex-Dunmurryite
vin 2743
I can still see them and as 'far as I know'...I don't have an account with photo bucket.
But over the years I must downloaded stuff from them.

My ignorance of computers is only matched by my inability to spell properly!.......without a smell-checker! Wink

Incidentally, how do you include a photo in the body of a message (on this forum) intend of having it as an attachment and thumbnail?
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Dangermouse is right , jeez we only had electricity installed last week and I eagerly await our promised inside toilet.
My secret service, highly secure, steam driven, Governmental computer blocks the photos anyway.

Chris without a speeeling checker  I'd be lost! and regarding your posting of photos conundrum - Personally, I'd like to post more photos on here but it seems quite an onerous task - a lot more difficult than e.g. some of the guitar forums I'm on, where posting photos is easy - it's simple on Facial Book.

Anyways - I thought I'd announce it here first, on this weekend I'm going to try starting the car for the first time. It's been sat pretty much inactive ever since the Dead Sea wasn't feeling very well (taxi for Murphy).

I'm eagerly awaiting retirement in December, and the last 15 months since I've had the car, I've still had to travel the country with my job, attend to a 93 year old Mam - (sharp as a tack, but can't get out at all), and family life in general, but I still manage to get out on the car and do some bits n pieces and generally learn about it - something I've had to do quickly in view of the fact that previous owners have taken things apart - and I'm left to literally pick up the pieces - the drain on my wallet has been substantial (that's why I never chased up the new bonnet Chris).

So I have a checklist in front of me - final things to do - many things have already been done so it would be a waste if people were to say "oh don't forget to do ...." as I've probably done it. So for all Delorean nerds out there here's the list in front of me right now .....

- buy cheap antifreeze (Halfrauds / Europratz) - heck it'll be flushed through a few times 
- tighten up water core plugs on either side of engine block (previously removed)
- refit exhaust and shield ( The back of the car is all off any way)
- fit all copper washers on fuel lines (new lines dry fitted)
- check power supply to fuel pump mini loom
- tighten battery terminals (New Yuasa battery fitted)
- Install rest of rubber pipes on New Fuel tank
- check Outlet on left induction bank - outlet has nothing on there at the mo
- fit new earth strap
- check dizzy electrical connectors and all connectors at rear of engine.
- tighten fitting at top of new fuel filter (note to self - you did the problematic bottom one on the work bench)
- "Do" fan relay mod with wires and spades and fuse holders (top drawer l/h filing cabinet)
- Initially flush fuel send and return
- install new fuses
- nip up (new s/steel) jub clips near radiator.
- Buy 2 gallions of petrol (the neighbour caught me the last time siphoning petrol from his company hearse)
- check that damn h/light switch as the guy in the garage with me tomorrow is an electrical sensei
- oh and get the fan wiring sorted - it's been cut
- fire extinguisher - check.
- don't add to this :-)

I'll report back
Spud,
It can be a lot of work when you buy a 'fixer-upper' but eventually rewarding.  Regarding the bonnet...Chris N has recently put his name on it, so I'm afraid that is spoken for.  But of course I'm sure he could fix yours if required.

Regarding the Middle East  cars, I was talking to a chum the other night who remembers seeing 5 of them together at a dealership out there,  one was probably yours!
Unfortunately I've forgotten who he was, (It was a very busy night)  but if he mentions it again, I will get his contact details. 

In my experience these unusual cars may have a more interesting history that your average USA re-import, but it doesn't effect their value.  After all....."A Delorean is a Delorean is a Delorean". They are ALL very rare and precious.

And getting back to the thread...very few of them have a good hand brake!  (but 522 did, so it can be done) 

I attach a random picture...spot the difference...

Attached Files Image(s)

Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
ahhh no Delorean name moulding huh.

Interesting about the Middle East cars - mine having come from Dubai is an irony in so far as I have visited Dubai many times what with my brother in law working over there for 21 years.

Value of Deloreans? same as most things - pah it's down to what people will pay ultimately - ours is a comparatively small market and who knows what values will be as we get nearer the Petrol change over in 2040. Having said that their values have rocketed since Wheeler Dealers (and probably before what with the BTTF anniversaries) 

the one thing is though, I feel that I need to keep the flat bonnet theme, along with the hole in the wing - these were one of the traits of the "UAE 50". I'm sure that you are proud that you own a RHD Delorean, I have a modicum of pride that I own one of a unique batch of 50 - albeit value wise - not in the same league as a RHD.

Believe me - the bonnet is toast - it really is pretty knackered - I know anything is possible but the time Chris would have to spend on it would be astronomical and not economically viable. i'll have to make do with mine for now - I have no intention of producing a concourse winner :-)

EDIT
In my list of Do do things, the slight OCD in me means that I have to correct myself ... Check outlet on right Induction Bank .... not left!!!
Photo 
Yes, I hear what you are saying but personally, having owned and run quite a few, now I would be just as happy with ANY DeLorean.

They all have their own character, vices and virtues. 

Here's another plain back end. 

Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Spud,
Just re-reading this thread, has your retirement happened yet? Good luck with that, personally having been retired a fair while now...i've never been busier!

If anything changes with my flat bonnet, I'll let you know.

I'd like to see the state of your current one...can you email me a few pictures?

Happy Christmas to you and all our readers.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
So ive just rebuilt all my calipers and changed the handbrake pads and low and behold it doesnt really work. Big surprise.

So from reading this thread it appears the best option is to sand/grind the pads. Has there been any other improvements since then? I did notice that the pads only really touched the discs at one end (closest the bolt end of the forks). 

When i apply the brake, i cant rotate the disc but once the wheels are back on i can easily push the car forward. Its freaking annoying. I thought i'll just wear them in once i start driving but it appears that just wont work and could damage my lovely new discs and/or ruin the pads.

The actual handbrake bracket is fine and not bent as i had to take that out earlier to reattach the cables. Somehow they came off. 

This is something i need to sort before i put the car through its first ever MOT. I want the car to pass first time.
- DeLoryan
VIN 5219
Oct 81, Grey interior, 
manual, grooved hood
DOC 876
Taper the pads as best you can with a file (watch the dust) so that they touch across all of the pad. They were never brilliant at the best!
Chris
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Well since i was bleeding the brakes today i had a look at the handbrake. I now have the pads fully touching the discs and i cant move the car on the drive. Will it pass an MOT? We will have to see.

I ended up having to file down both the inner pads and adjust the passenger side cable. Its still not great but it could very well be the best it can be. I think i need to wear in the brake pads before going to adjust the handbrake again. Still, if it passes then no adjustment will be needed.
- DeLoryan
VIN 5219
Oct 81, Grey interior, 
manual, grooved hood
DOC 876
(25 Dec 2018, 09:29)Chris P Wrote: Spud,
Just re-reading this thread, has your retirement happened yet?   Good luck with that, personally having been retired a fair while now...i've never been busier!

If anything changes with my flat bonnet, I'll let you know.  

I'd like to see the state of your current one...can you email me a few pictures?

Happy Christmas to you and all our readers.
Hi Chris . many apologies for not replying sooner.
I'm reinstalling my brakes after rebuilding them - bleeding was a problem but a good old Gunsons eezibleed bought in 1978 helped me over this hurdle. I wanted an afternoon in today research about refilling autobox , brakes etc and came across this thread again

Yes, my last day in work was Dec 24 2018 and I became a pensioner (not an OAP !!!!) on April 1st - how apt.
The car has fought me along the way and I had to carry out some unscheduled head work. Just replacing the rear speakers and getting the rear trim panels to line up took 2 weeks grrrrrr!!!

I'll write separately about the hood and I'll post an update on here about "where the car is" since working on it a lot since retirement. Chris N has done great work but agrees that my hood is not economically viable to repair.

Oh FWIW there is a very good video posted on youtube by the user Deloreanbucketlist on the adjustment of the handbrake. He mentions that he used Ferrodo FDB 822 pads and their total height is tapered from 15mm to 11.9 mm- as shown on the video.

I'll check my handbrake bracket and ensure that both cables are disconnected before I adjust on the brake adjuster - I'll report back - hopefully before next Xmas :-)
Quote:I'll report back - hopefully before next Xmas :-)
But your getting there!
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584