Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RHD DeLorean For Auction, 11th March 2014
Quote:This is the one from the TV zseries that had a number of owners get to gether just before Christmas for a photo-op?
Yes thats the one but was more filming than photo's. Lots of driving around a test track, some very cringe-worthy applauding and me 'viewing' the restored car :roll:
Quote:Neither series has been aired yet - right?
Correct, probably this one late April (but not confirmed) the other unknown as yet.
Quote:Back on topic - are Nantangs considered a good tyre? They aren't offered in the US, but I would have expected a top notch retso to use established brand name tyres, but maybe I am way off base (as they say here )
Think it's Nankang's! Funny enough I gave them a load of ribbing about these, I thought they were always considered a very 'cheap' brand. However they explained it as they could not get any Pirelli's, and this is probably true as they are really hard to come by at the moment over hear.

Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Quote:Back on topic - are Nantangs considered a good tyre? They aren't offered in the US, but I would have expected a top notch retso to use established brand name tyres, but maybe I am way off base (as they say here )
Think it's Nankang's! Funny enough I gave them a load of ribbing about these, I thought they were always considered a very 'cheap' brand. However they explained it as they could not get any Pirelli's, and this is probably true as they are really hard to come by at the moment over hear.

Chris[/quote]

I bought a full set of 225-45-18 Nankang's for my MG ZTT in 2010, they were terrible in the wet...verging on dangerous....dry use they were ok. I took them off with more than 4mm of tread still showing because I found serious 'cuts' to the tread on 3 of the tyres after covering 9000 miles. I replaced them with Toyos' which were superb all rounder's and much safer in the wet.
Wait, you mean to say you built a time machine out of a DeLorean?!!
The estimate is £18,000 - £22,000 which seems quite cheap if it is a RHD? I've not seen any recently though so not sure what it's really worth (and those pictures don't really help). Having said that I've not seen many LHD ones recently either ... but I was expecting north of 20k for any De now?
On the subject of price. I think the £18-22 K is a bit of a "come and buy me" i'd be surprised if that's all it made.

You also have to factor in the 15% buyers premium with VAT on that . So if it went for a hammer price of £22k you would have to fork out a total of nearly £26.

It was originally for sale at £25k ( but not advertised..to the best of my knowledge) before restoration, as a non runner.

The TV company paid £23.5 for it. and goodness knows what they have spent on it.

But there can't be a reserve , so it could just be a bargain….but I doubt it. ………. £30k is my guess.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Agreed, so I'm still looking for others Smile
there is the possibility that everyone is expecting it to go for mega bucks, which could lead to them not bidding and it fetching a lower price? (he hopes)
Plus it's the first car to be auctioned! always the cheaper one Big Grin I have had a good look at both the L-Rover and Stag. Both are very well done and well worth a bid.
Chris
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
I have a couple of tickets to this auction if any one is interested (first come first served) however it now seems that the DeLorean is to be withdrawn from the auction so may not be of any interest to people on this forum now. I will post more details when the information is confirmed.
Chris
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Well thats a surprise and a disappointment .
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Seems odd, perhaps they want to sell it at an event like wheeler dealers did... only a few months to the DOC event!?

But I've just been on the website and it's still listed ?
I took a really clean Granada to a classic auction a few years ago, I made the mistake of putting a low reserve and someone bought it before the auction for £450...I was furious but the auctioneers told me it was quite common for traders to buy this way.

maybe the DeLorean had a pre-auction bid?
Well it did, I expect it would be more than £450! Big Grin
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Quote:I will post more details when the information is confirmed
Despite assurances I would be given some kind of confirmation one way or the other before close of play Friday I have not! So, because I'm aware of people's interest and as I have explained to both Coys and Love productions it's unfair to keep people hanging in the balance, I think people need to know the score. Coy's have had an offer on the car and they have advised Love productions to accept it. This was supposed to have all been confirmed by Friday night, as of Saturday night no one appeared to know what was going on. So the car may or may not be withdrawn or may or may not be auctioned :roll:
Personally I think it's out of order to leave it that late to decide, it cost's money to get to the auction and enter. Even phone/internet bids you have to pay a large deposit. Perhaps we will know one way or the other Monday night.
Chris
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
A most unsatisfactory and unprofessional situation. I know some people are seriously interested.

After all this faffing about, I hope it stays in the auction, and goes for a price that a club member can afford.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
I've spoken to the film company this afternoon and they say it's 99% likely to go under the hammer tomorrow because from a purely TV perspective this is the preferred outcome for them as it completes the episode nicely. Notwithstanding this, if the person who is interested comes back and offers a lot of money then from a business perspective they have to accept.

Anyway, I'm definitely going to go and watch the auction tomorrow whether the Delorean is in it or not. It will be the last part of what has been a really interesting experience for me, starting with the filming in December and ending with the auction tomorrow. Hope to see some other owners there.

Richard
Richard M.
Edenbridge, Kent
VIN 981