Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VIN 4890 in the UK
So, after enquiring about buying a DeLorean some months ago, I've been a little quiet on the forum. I'm sure there are many people that enquire but then are never heard of again. However, I've bitten the stainless steel bullet and made my lifelong dream come true. Thanks to the advice of various people named Chris, i am now the proud owner of VIN4890. After a slight delay due to to blizzards in the US, she is now finally of her way to the DeLorean Garden of Eden that is Canvey Island, where Chris Nicholson will be restoring her to her full glory. Needless to say there is a lot of work to be done - i've been informed that the transmission is currently being held together with a nappy and duck tape. She's also been painted black... not in a tasteful way, more attacked with a can of Carplan. I'll upload some photos shortly, so you can see the progress.

PS - Chris Panham, i was super excited to read about the completion of your book. I cannot wait to get a copy. Looking forward to joining you all in a meet when 4890 is complete. A massive thank you to all the advice i've been given. I'm sure you all understand how exciting it is to get your first DeLorean!
Congratulations on your new found ownership....

Your patience and pocket may be tested to within an inch of its means, but it will be worth it....

No other car in its price range will give you the same feeling when you are out on the road or at a show. It's presence is dominant regardless of its condition and it's instantly recognised and respected by the majority of people.

Enjoy your car!

Ben
Quote:No other car in its price range will give you the same feeling when you are out on the road or at a show. It's presence is dominant regardless of its condition and it's instantly recognised and respected by the majority of people.
Couldn't put it better myself. Well done and let the fun begin!
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Heh I am sure Chris N will be flattered by 'DeLorean Garden of Eden' although I must confess the description fits DeLorean Europe better. Canvey Island is more like a busy intensive care ward in Detroit. Smile
great that another DMC is on its way back to the UK Smile

So, will you have it ready for the DOC National meet up in June in Dorset? Wink
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
congratulations on your new purchase, great news. I have a new auto gearbox if you need one.
I'm not sure which will be finished first your car or our book! With any large project , once you have done all the big jobs, its all the last little finishing off bits that take the time.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
She should be ready around November / December time. Chris N is doing a full rebuild, plus an RHD conversion. The car's been pretty neglected and is going to need alot of parts transplanted from donor Ds, as well as NOS parts. However, when she's done, I should have a pristine D, that will never breakdown... okay, maybe that's a bit too much to wish for; but she should run well.

Chris P - thanks for the offer of the auto, but i'm going manual. Already started exercises to build those left leg muscles! From what i've come to understand, there're always finishing off jobs on Ds :wink: ... Is it weird that I'm looking forward to the fact there's always something that needs to be done with them?

Here're some pics:
Ahh, another Australian DeLorean! :lol: This would be the one I did some import paperwork for last week then. Good luck with the car I'm sure it will be everything you wished for.
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
c.douch Wrote:However, when she's done, I should have a pristine D, that will never breakdown...

Good luck with that buddy! ;-)

Any more fairy tales in here? :-)

Only teasing of course. There's no reason why you can't be the first person in history to have a reliable delorean. He he...

Ok I've taken it too far now, I'll shut up before I insult someone!

Congratulations on getting it back safely. And it's in the best place!
Ben
Congratulation on your purchase Wink
Do you intend to keep it black or back to stainless?
Any more picture of your new DeLorean?
wow, thats a project car !!!

Good luck, Chris N will work wonders (as always), and you'll have a great car to enjoy -
and dont worry about not having your De this summer, you can still come along to events
and join in the fun Smile
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
So she's finally arrived! After what has been a very lengthy import, hindered by snow storms, shipping companies trying to maximise their profits and the usual endless bureaucracy, 4890 has at last made it to Canvey Island.

Chris N will be commencing work on her upon his return from the States. Although there's alot of work to be done, he seems carefully optimistic that it should be be a fairly straight forward restoration. The major parts (engine, transmission, chassis, stainless steel panels etc.) seem to be in pretty good nick.

The car will be being converted to RHD, but apart from that there'll be no other mods. Going to keep her as close to a 'straight out the factory' car as possible.

Here's a couple more pics... as you can never have too many pics of DeLoreans.
Great pic, thanks for sharing Smile
You must be very happy now Wink
Maybe it's the light, but is there some mark/dent on the bonnet?
Dermot
ex-Dunmurryite
vin 2743
Is that a DeLorean underbody you have in the garage in front of your car?

Certainly looks that way... :-)