Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Head Gasket!
Good Evening guys!

Ive been away for a while doing other projects but pleased to say Im back! Im back from the ...errr... projects! 8)

Hope all is well and just trying to catch up on some posts and changes in the D community.

Anyway, reason why Im posting here is my header tank is turning into powder and needs to be changed asap and wondered what the best solution is?

Stainless looks the biz but have been told in the past it's not the best option for keeping our beauties cool.

Any advice always appreciated and hope to see you all at some meets in the near future.

Roll on the Summer!!!

Peter
Hi Peter

Welcome to the forum!

Either a new old stock or better a stainless or aluminium header tank is the way to go. If you search this forum you can see peoples view on stainless in the D's cooling system.

My view (from over 20 years in the mechanical services industry) is this.

'Reaction' between two dissimilar metals in this case aluminium and stainless steel is only possibly caused between stainless and aluminium when it is in direct contact with each other and even then i have yet to see it in 'plant room' situations and definatley not on a car cooling system. Even the slightest chance of a problem is counteracted by modern day antifreeze. My car was fitted with a stainless bottle in 1996, some 11 years later i cant see any 'reaction' taking place especially with the recomended coolant changes.

I suppose you have got to ask yourself if stainless was that 'bad' why do some/ all of the main DMC vendors sell them Smile

yes they do look nice too Smile

[Image: DSC01296640x480.jpg]
ayup Peter!!! Good to have you back! Big Grin

Are you coming to the shindig at Arrans place in June? Pretty local for you! :wink:

Seeya soon,
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Cheers for that Bozzy, expect some post in the next couple of days :wink:

Hi Claire! It's good to be back!! Definately up the Eurotec although haven't booked a room yet. Will send Arran a note or just may have to share with TT - Streuth!

Im also up for the Donnigton event, is it too late for applications?

Got a few jobs on the list for 1772 before the Summer but hopefully nothing too major!

Where are those Hammond boys hiding? Have sent Alan an email but no response as yet.

Take care.
cool, be good to see you and #1772 again Smile

You cant actually book Donington yet, but the dates have been set already. I'll post up details nearer the time (probably July/August).

Havent heard much from Alan or Carl lately......I'm sure there hiding somewhere in deepest darkest East Anglia though :wink:

Seeya at Eurotech,

Claire
(just back from the pub after a training session on Magners Big Grin Big Grin )
Claire Usher Wrote:so, what are you implying there, Bozzy? :wink:

Poor Nick, you'll give the lad a complex :lol:

It's OK Claire, I'm a fairly simple bloke.

Bottom sits on settee facing TV
Eyes stare at TV
Remote control goes in left hand
Pint of Beer goes in right hand
Beer and Pies/ Curry/ Pizza goes in mouth.

Job done, happy man Big Grin

NickT

ps Stainless bottles look Bling.
Hmm beer Big Grin
Regards Paul O'Malley
DOC 253 South of Ireland Rep
[quote="Peter Filsell"

Hi Claire! It's good to be back!! Definately up the Eurotec although haven't booked a room yet. Will send Arran a note or just may have to share with TT - Streuth!

Nice one im sure we can squeeze you in, and no filth please :lol: :lol:
TT
DOC398
VIN#3484
Tourettes Tutor
I have the X factor
persevere with bleeding the system Dean, Flopsy was a sod for getting airlocks.

Just when you thought it was all bled out, a load more air bubbles would come out.

Also, its a good idea to have the back of the car jacked up when you are bleeding the system - I think its got something to do with the location of the water pump compared to other parts of the system, but cant remember for sure.
NickT Wrote:Bleed kit is essential.

If coolant is drained check otterstat switch !

I found easiest way to bleed the car is:

Turn interior heater to fully hot position
Disconnect 8mm internal diameter hose from top of radiator
Get a friend to slowly fill coolant until coolant escapes from the pipe
Reconnect pipe and firmly attachach jubilee clip
Slowly fill coolant until you fill half the expansion tank.
Put cap on.
Run engine until cooling fans kick in OR gauge is half way up mark.
Let engine cool overnight
Refill coolant if need be.

Hope this helps

NickT.
Mines doing pretty much same thing now. Went out yesterday, started getting hot on temp gauge. Nursed it home,let it cool down. Bled it, had it running in the garage for at least an hour, everything seemed fine. Went out, up Motorway, bit of a ride through town etc, back on Motorway, came off slip road for home, as soon as I slowed at end of slip road 'wham', temp went from normal, straight off the scale in about 3 seconds. It was boiling its head off.
Got it home, let it cool, filled it again, bled it, still runs for about an hour fine, then its steam train time again. I've been a mechanic over 20 odd years, never known a cooling system like it.
Its in the my garage now, had to leave for a bit, if I don't it will get the hammer treatment, I rekon' my temp is running on par with the car.
[Image: DeloreanSig.jpg]
Hi

Is it the origional water pump you have on there matey ?
As far as I can tell, does'nt appear to have been replaced!
it could be your pump impeller on its way out or even a faulty pump thermostat, i would replace the stat first. Do you have a pump bleeder kit fitted ?

Ed Uding has a kit for sale along with the correct thermostat for the pump.
No, I tried to order one from DCML, but they had just finished sending out their stuff. As far as I can tell its just a length of hose from a fitting where the bleed is on the stat housing, which then goes to a T' piece connected to the small hose at the front of the header, is that right?