Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Head Gasket!
Fitted the heater valve & header tank, bin' for a bost round earlier so far so good. Keep me' eye on it for a while , but hopefully might have sussed it
[Image: DeloreanSig.jpg]
good work, fingers and toes crossed too Smile

"go and detect me a garibaldi"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mr-alr7P_qk
Bandit, you crack me up. It looked for a moment like they had snipped your bits off and sent them to the USA only to have them sent back to you super quick!

All I can say is that you have balls! Big Grin
Regards,

Chris Hawes
DOC 138
Ex owner of VIN 5255 Grey, 5-speed
As ive been told ...He has balls ... just disconnected Smile Smile
guys, guys!!!!!!!!!!! perlease!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Although sorry Bandit, but it was p**s funny watching you walking around like John Wayne when you came over on Saturday :lol:

Hope you're feeling a bit better now..... Smile
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Ooohh yes, much better, pickin' up a new motorsikle today an all', so I'm all excited.
cool, what that 1250 you were telling me about? Big Grin

Stick a piccy of it on here when you get it, would love to see it. I'm gutted I cant ride a bike any more because of my knee Sad

Enjoy!
Go To www.justbandits.com there's one on my home page, just the same in Black.
Bandit Wrote:Go To www.justbandits.com there's one on my home page, just the same in Black.

mmmmmmmmmmmm

**sigh**
Almost certain this over heating issue is 'Bread Baskets'. I've done about 100 miles in it since fitting the new heater valve etc & its bin' fine, temp at normal all the time. Went out today & it started to get warm, bit above half way mark, by the time I got home. Let it cool down then checked water level, not much left in & there are no leaks. Also noticed lots of black 'sooty' water coming out of the join from exhaust to Cat.
So I rekon' its chukin' it down the exhaust till there's not enough left to keep it cool.
Looks like its 'off with it's heads' as Henry Vlll said. Anyone done em' before, got any tips.
been there, done that mate.......... Sad

Flopsy's first new cylinder head was required because when Martin was trying to drill out a seized manifold stud the drill apparantly slipped and went through the water jacket Sad

Second time, was because when the engine was put back together, the thermostat wasnt changed (stupid really, they're only £12 odd), it stuck, and the car boiled over big time in Wolverhampton. So it was Chris Hawes' AA card to the rescue and low loader turned up and took me back to Stevenage - mind you, probably saved me £25 in petrol!! lol

Obvious one is make sure you get the heads skimmed - I was lucky, I got a matching pair of refurbed Volvo 760 heads for £60 a piece + postage - and whilst you're in there, you'll probably want to have a tidy up in the 'valley of death', possibly change most of the hoses and pipes... also you might as well change the timing chains. I *think* mine were Renault ones, the only difference between those and Volvo ones is that they've got the white timing marks on them. You can source all the bits you need (head bolts, gaskets, etc) from Braydon Motor Company in London - I think the contact name there is Bob. They are a huge Volvo spares place.

I've finally finished writing my website, which includes pics of the engine in bits, but I've got loads of other detailed pics if you need to see any for reference.

Good luck!! Smile
Did mine last year. Unfortunately most of the photo's were lost in the hard drive crash Sad

I have details of an engineer who can skim the heads if you need, and part numbers for most of the bits (on the boxes in the shed - hard copy lost on hard drive crash)

Look on ebay for the head gasket kit - a chap called 'cossieboyz' does a very good quality set for about £45.

You need plenty of time for the job if you are going to do some tidying up while you're in there. Have you got a workshop manual?
Richard H. DOC 365 VIN 1274
http://www.deloreans.co.uk
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.
Yeh, got a manual, it all seems pretty straight forward to be honest, just wondered if anyone had encounted any little hidden issues that sometimes crop up with these type of jobs.
I want to crack on with it, cos I'm really hoping to be in it for Norfolk.
Top of the list is make sure NOT to lift the heads straight off. They absolutely must be tipped off.

If you lift them straight, there's a risk that the head gasket will stick to the cylinder liners and unseat them. If that happens, then it's engine out in order to replace the lower gaskets Shock

I highly recommend removing as much 'interference' from the engine bay as possible, it makes things alot easier in the long run.

You will need to remove the rear fascia and back box to get at the timing chains.

Check the flatness of your exhaust manifold faces when you have removed them - mine were bent like bananas and they'll blow the exhaust gaskets in no time if left like it.

I had about two weeks clear 'testing' before Eurofest last year!
Richard H. DOC 365 VIN 1274
http://www.deloreans.co.uk
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.
I really enjoyed helping you put #1274 back together last year, although it must have looked really funny me hanging over the back of your car, with you underneath it, whilst we put your cat bypass pipe next to the busy main road where your house is Big Grin

And to think, the 'DeLorean Double-entendres' are still recited to this day........"ah, monsier le Rich, I 'ave got 'old of eeet" :lol: