Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A DeLorean is for life, not just a mid life crisis....
Hello, I am a returning member to DOC. Formerly imported 0981 "BAKNTIM" subsequently sold to Paul Birks. I understand Paul has passed it on to another member now. Since about 12 months after selling the car, there hasn't been a day I haven't missed it. In fact I left DOC because the reminder with each magazine received, was an uncomfortable reminder of a foolish decision.

Such is life and the choices we make.

I always kept my memorabilia in the loft, but recently decided to make a tasteful display of it all, to stimulate a renewed interest and motivation to own again.

Perhaps some members will remember me, I hope you are still enjoying your D's.

Would be interesting to know 0981's fate.

Regards

Gary Tidman
Hi Gary

I'm the lucky owner of 981 nowadays and it resides in Edenbridge in Kent. It's just gone past 71,000 miles and is still going strong (albeit it needs a few bits sorting out like any other 32 year old car does). If you have a look at the thread called "For charity" in the Owners cars section there's a pic of the car taken two weeks ago in the Edenbridge fireworks parade.

Incidentally I bought the car as a midlife crisis too.

Richard
Richard M.
Edenbridge, Kent
VIN 981
Hi Gary, Richard just beat me to it!. Apologies for not getting back to you sooner, just trying to catch up after a long NEC weekend. However as you can see your car has come back to live very close to you!
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Hi Richard,

Nice to meet you. Thanks Chris.

Edenbridge isn't so far. I must admit feels strange lol

For me 981 was a memory maker. From the moment picked up to the moment passed on.

Often when I talk to people about the car, I tell the story of being specially invited to the Kent Modified Car show one year.

Row after row of Ferrari's and Lambo's with 981 on the end. Every time I returned, the biggest crowd was always around the De'

Would be nice to see her again.

Dug out a couple of photos for you....

Regards

Gary
(Formerly DOC 257)
Hi Gary

Love the pics - you'll be glad to know it hasn't changed much. It's good to see it with its previous registration plate. I'm really interested by the history of the car and since I've owned it I've found out all sorts of nerdy things like what date it it left these shores for California and the name of the boat it was transported on.

It goes without saying you're welcome to come to Edenbridge any time to see it.

R.
Richard M.
Edenbridge, Kent
VIN 981
Gary, it is great to see you're still alive Tongue

The Cerbera stick around for long?

What cars did you have after the Cerbie and was it a reliable experience?
Regards,

Chris Hawes
DOC 138
Ex owner of VIN 5255 Grey, 5-speed
Hi Gary, great to have you back around, I remember you bringing the car to Harpenden Car Show, just
after the Top Gear filming in 2004 ish?

I've still got #2292, but I live 'oop norf' these days.

chat soon,
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Richard - Thanks for invite, I would love to see car again, I am craving inspiration/motivation to take the plunge again. Although I understand importing isn't what it was when I did it.

Hey Chris, the Cerbera was a nightmare, totally impractical, interesting experience, but so regret losing the De to it. It didn't give any trouble, but between constantly being chased and goaded into street drag races (which I found very uncomfortable) and the fact an uncomfortable quantity of mph, down a bypass scared the crap out of me. I got rid of it pretty quickly.
I went Jag in the end, XJ8 current car, (MGB which I've always had) and a brief time with an Jag XKR. But nothing compares to the pleasure given and received from the De.

Hey Claire, 2004/5 is about right, good memory, Harpenden "classics on the common" remember it fondly. Glad to hear you have same De Smile Nice to be remembered Smile
Crikey ! everyone looks so much younger there Shock
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
lol, that was deffo 2004 then, I've got a cigarette on the go and I packed up in Jan 2005.

Was that the night Hawsey's fanbelt went and there were requests for a pair of tights to
fix it at around midnight? lol

Notice Nigel Mills' Lambo is there too Smile
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
A spot of instagram browsing at lunchtime produced this
Dermot
ex-Dunmurryite
vin 2743
I haven't seen that one before. It's from when I had the car in the Edenbridge fireworks parade about a minth ago.
Richard M.
Edenbridge, Kent
VIN 981